[bionet.software] Re easy vs powerful OS

ODONNELL@arcb.afrc.ac.uk (03/19/91)

>>Top omitted

>	People learn to use what they need. Anyone who can design and
>perform a subcloning experiment -  with all the steps required to
>isolate fragments, match ends, ligate, and transform - can figure out
>how to login, check a directory, edit a file, and run the sequence
>analysis programs on unix or VMS.  Anyone who is doing a sequencing
>project MUST learn to the machine.  So they do.
>
>Bill Pearson

A short reply:

If only that statement were true! Most users' experience is to the contrary,
and surely what sparked the whole debate off. The point is that DESPITE the
high level of ability in one area, many biologists find the use of computers
a difficult task.

Biologists typically do not login frequently enough to keep up with all the
minor changes that are made to the system. The analogy of riding a bike,
using a power tool etc - People don't change the position of the handle bars,
the brakes and pedals since the last time you rode it.

Research scientists typically spend several weeks or months in the lab
gathering data (ligating, running gels etc), then turn to the computer.
"Ah, now what did I do last time?....". If they remember, it sometimes won't
work anyway because someone has 'improved' something.  So the PERCEPTION of
many (certainly not all) is that computers only make life harder, and that
programmers etc only seek to find new ways of confusing users.

So lets not pretend the problems don't exist, but work with them.

Just think of all those "SUPPORT" jobs that wouldn't exist if everyone found it
too easy :-)

Cary O'Donnell

unasmith@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Una Smith) (03/20/91)

Bill Pearson:

>>People learn to use what they need.

Cary O'Donnell:

>If only that statement were true! Most users' experience is to the contrary,
>and surely what sparked the whole debate off. The point is that DESPITE the
>high level of ability in one area, many biologists find the use of computers
>a difficult task.

In my experience, both views are accurate.  Some highly regarded
scientists seem incapable of doing anything more than writing grant
proposals on MACs or PCs.  Occasionally, students have this problem too,
but only rarely.  I have introduced many, many scientists (faculty and
students) to computers, and seen most of them quickly grasp these tools,
becoming highly competent, efficient computer users.  In my experience,
scientists are capable of absorbing almost effortlessly everything they
need to know to do the things they want with computers.

When scientists (and others) fail to learn in this fashion, I generally
get the impression that they don't really care to learn.  They may make
a stab at learning, but only because they see other scientists getting
excited about computers, and they think that computers are something
they too should know how to use.  Computers are not the only modern
tool that many scientists think they have to use;  molecular techniques
are another tool that some researchers feel compelled to learn to use,
whether they need it or not.

The ratio of computer support to need-for-support seems to vary with
the proportion of the faculty who use computers.  In other words,
when researchers are stuck on the low end of the computer resource
curve, thus needing the most support, they have the most trouble
convincing their colleagues and administrators that computers (and
computer technicians) are needed.  It's a sad situation:  the more
you need relative to what you have, the less you get.

Departments on the low end of the computer resource curve tend to
perceive computers as hard to use, and not worth the investment needed
to significantly improve computer resources;  they tend to lock
themselves into a vicious cycle, and do not advance up the resource
curve unless the university administration steps in.  Departments on
the high end of the curve are astonishingly adept at staying there.

I should explain how I came by my opinions.  I worked as a computer
consultant at Princeton University for 4 years, 1983-87, during which
time most departments went from the very bottom to well up the computer
resource curve, thanks to a very strong committment by the University
President and Trustees.  Then, for 2 years, I worked for the Dept.
of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Princeton and the Smithsonian
Tropical Research Institution (a branch of the Smithsonian Institution
located in Panama).

During this time, individual faculty members and graduate students
in the Princeton department continued to make significant contributions
to the computer resources of the entire department, and the department
began to demand that the university supply it with even more resources,
instead of being forced to take them by the university.  Meanwhile, the
Smithsonian realized that a growing number of visiting researchers
either brought their own computers with them, or required that the
Smithsonian provide them with computers during their stay.  Suddenly,
over the course of a two year period, virtually every permanent employee
was given a PC, and computer laboratories were set up for the use of
visitors in every facility.  The process was extremely educational for
everyone concerned.

As is often the case, the Smithsonian staff initially saw no need to
provide computer resources to visiting students, nor to hire computer
support personnel.  But once the students at one facility managed to
assemble a computer laboratory, and began to use the laboratory to
analyze their data as they collected it, it became obvious that they
did indeed need computer resources.  Once computers were available,
the many visiting scientists quickly showed just how useful computers
can be, and the computer literacy and sophistication of the
Smithsonian staff and administration grew by leaps and bounds.  The
willingness of the Smithsonian to consider hiring computer support
personnel increased only with increasing computer literacy.  The
rate of change has been truely dramatic, and I believe that the
quality and quantity of research has also increased significantly.

I am now a graduate student at Duke University, where the Life Science
departments are still stuck at the bottom of the computer resource
curve.  A recent accreditation inspection of the University gave
generally high marks, but singled out computing as a severe deficit.
There are many signs that the University administration recognizes
the problems, but the University has not yet seen fit to invest
any significant financial resources to improve computing at Duke,
apparently hoping that the individual departments will find their
own solutions.  How bad is the situation here?  I'll just point out
that I find it either convenient or necessary to use a computer at
Princeton to participate in this discussion.

	- Una

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (03/21/91)

In article <9103191019.AA06674@genbank.bio.net> ODONNELL@arcb.afrc.ac.uk writes:

>>>Top omitted
>
>>	People learn to use what they need. Anyone who can design and
>>perform a subcloning experiment -  with all the steps required to
>>isolate fragments, match ends, ligate, and transform - can figure out
>>how to login, check a directory, edit a file, and run the sequence
>>analysis programs on unix or VMS.  Anyone who is doing a sequencing
>>project MUST learn to the machine.  So they do.
>>
>>Bill Pearson
>
>A short reply:

... stuff omitted ...
>Biologists typically do not login frequently enough to keep up with all the
>minor changes that are made to the system. The analogy of riding a bike,
>using a power tool etc - People don't change the position of the handle bars,
>the brakes and pedals since the last time you rode it.
>
>Research scientists typically spend several weeks or months in the lab
>gathering data (ligating, running gels etc), then turn to the computer.
>"Ah, now what did I do last time?....". If they remember, it sometimes won't
>work anyway because someone has 'improved' something.  So the PERCEPTION of
>many (certainly not all) is that computers only make life harder, and that
>programmers etc only seek to find new ways of confusing users.
>
>Cary O'Donnell

I disagree. My experience is that laboratory scientists are always using
their computers. Most of the time is devoted to word-processing, but people
are always doing something with the computer.  As electronic mail and other
network applications become more widespread, usage will increase.

The problem is that most users never bother to invest the time to learn
what the computer can do for them.  For example, most people who have
access to databases use them for two things only: searching for sequences
similar to their own sequences, and retrieving sequences.  With just a
little extra sophistication, the user could also be addressing questions
such as:
     - What other genes have been cloned in the species I work with (eg.
source of probes, examples of codon usage)
     - What other genes have been cloned that are associated with the
biological problem I am working on (eg. heat shock, photosynthesis)
     - Do the transit peptides of thylakoid proteins have characteristics
that distinguish them from the transit peptides of plastid matrix
proteins?
      ... etc.

Databases aside, the computer can do lots of other things for the molecular
biologist. There are programs for managing clone collections, designing
oligonucleotide primers (an everyday occurrence now), calculating the sizes
on unknowns on gels, assigning RFLP's to map positions, mapping restriction
fragments.

Molecular biologists are the biggest bunch of whiners in science.
Physicists, astronomers, ecologists, population geneticists etc. have
recognized that they can't function  without being able to work with
computers.  The didn't complain, they learned to use an important tool of
their trade.

The computer is the ultimate general purpose machine, if you have some
understanding of how to use it. With the expansion of the matrix of
biological knowledge, there is, and will be in the future, too much
important information out there to ignore.  However, the benefits of this
'general purpose machine' are only available to those willing to put in a
little effort to understand it. I maintain that the things a user needs to
learn are quite small:
     - how to organize your data in directories, and the file-name syntax
that goes with them
     - 15 or so basic commands for moving, copying, deleting, and listing
files
     - use of a screen editor
     - use of a mailer
     - use of online help

Can somebody tell me why the above is so hard to learn? Do you let people use
your HPLC without fairly lengthy training?  The reason people get
so frustrated with computers is that they want to start NOW, without learning
anything. In the long run, it's a lot easier to simply take a 1 afternoon
course, or read a high-school level book on using your operating system.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     | Can you say
University of Manitoba          |
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |     CHICKEN UBIQUITIN, CHICKEN UBIQUITIN
frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca          |     CHICKEN UBIQUITIN, CHICKEN UBIQUITIN,
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |     CHICKEN UBIQUITIN, CHICKEN UBIQUITIN
FAX:            204-275-5128    |     CHICKEN UBIQUITIN, CHICKEN UBIQUITIN...

ahouse@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (Jeremy Ahouse) (03/24/91)

>Bill Pearson:
>
>>>People learn to use what they need.
>
>Cary O'Donnell:
>
>>If only that statement were true! Most users' experience is to the contrary,
>>and surely what sparked the whole debate off. The point is that DESPITE the
>>high level of ability in one area, many biologists find the use of computers
>>a difficult task.
>
>In my experience, both views are accurate.

There are several reasons that Macintosh (which costs more than a PC clone if
all you want to do is word processing) is successful.  The one I want to focus
on is attitude.  Unlike almost everyone else (NeXT may be an exception) the Mac
world puts a premium on design.  Microsoft had 3-5 years to emulate the
successes of the Mac and MS Windows is still only a first step.  How can so
many spend so much money for so long and end with such a pale shadow of the
thing itself.  That all computers can still get easier to use (i.e. more
powerful, what is the point if you can't harness the power?) is a trivial
truism and Macs have gotten sucked into a corporate machine that may make them
unable to put their own past behind them.  But there is still nothing close.
Spend some time with Mathematica or Theorist or Mac Spin.  These products let
you do things that you weren't able to do before.  Drop diagrams from draw
paint and post-script drawing programs into your word processor.  The
kinesthetic experience of these actions just isn't found in other machines.
But the programs will be ported and sharing of data will also be found on a PC
or XWindows terminal near you soon.  But so far there is a still an attitude
about the position of the users with respect to the machine which doesn't seem
to be finding its way to the other boxes.  I am ready to move past the Mac, for
some of my work I have to and for portability I have to.  But DecStations don't
have the emphasis on design and Suns don't and PC's certainly don't.

	So what conclusions are there?  Humans are exceedingly clever and can
learn almost any system.  (Some people still use WordStar.)  But that doesn't
mean that they should have to.  Macintosh (both the GUI guidelines and the
operating system that supports them) respects my time.  I want to get things
done and that means consistency and giving me choices.
	Remember if IBM had had their way we would all just have terminals
hooked up to mainframes some where.

	Enough diatribe.  I don't usually get my self drawn into these things.
The Mac is a wonderful tool and is the first real stab at computers as
'toasters.'  I want UNIX to grow into this as well, but it won't happen until
some the attitude is transferred to those who work in UNIX, PC environs.

	Thanks for listening.

LIEBER@UVAX.ISX.COM (Bill Lieberman) (03/30/91)

	I agree with your opinion on the (lack of) use of standards.

	The analogy I favor is that if I come over to your house with an LP
record, I expect it to play on your record player. I don't (have to) bother
caring what brand your machine is, what your AC voltage is, what your
frequency is (50 or 60 Hz), or anything else (with the possible
exception it's a machine more than 40 years old and plays only 78's).
Furthermore, it would play on record players virtually everywhere in the
world.

	So it's a question of expectations in the users' minds. Once standards
are really accepted, people will increase their useage. Would not
manufacturers and developers make more money in the long run if they
converged on standards, and then sell a lot more systems to a lot more
people who would then have confidence going in?

Bill Lieberman
ISX Corp.

-------