[bionet.software] Free Software Foundation

ucca021@ucl.ac.uk (04/09/91)

I want to get hold of the latest version of the PostScript-like interpreter
for the PC call GHOSTSCRIPT. This is distributed by the

FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION INC.

Can anyone tell me the address/fax/phone of these people?

Charles

L.C. Willoughby
Chemistry Department
University College London
20 Gordon Street
LONDON
WC1H OAJ
UK

J.S.Stephenson@qmw.ac.uk (04/11/91)

> I want to get hold of the latest version of the PostScript-like interpreter
> for the PC call GHOSTSCRIPT. This is distributed by the
>
> FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION INC.
>
> Can anyone tell me the address/fax/phone of these people?
>
> Charles
>
> L.C. Willoughby
> Chemistry Department
> University College London

 The address is: The Free Software Foundation Inc.
                 675 Massachusetts Avenue
                 Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
 Telephone: 0101 617 876 3296, Electronic mail: GNU@Edu.MIT.AI.PREP

 But you shouldn't need to contact the American HQ: there are local UK
 distribution centres for the GNU software.  The MIT people certainly won't
 thank you for a request for one copy of some software for your personal
 PC.  It is a natural consequence of their software being free that they
 don't have the resources to provide that sort of service.

 To spread the load, there are several UK distribution centres, each of
 which takes responsibility for one part of the full range of GNU software.
 To find out where to get any particular item, send an email message to
 Info-Server@UK.AC.UKC, with the following 3 lines of text:

 request: catalogue
 topic: index
 request: end

 This will send you a list of who supplies what.  As it happens,
 Ghostscript is available from Imperial College.  Try sending some email to
 Info-Server@UK.AC.IC.DoC, with a text of HELP, to get started.

harper@csc.fi (04/12/91)

In article <11010.9104081751@ucl.ac.uk>, ucca021@ucl.ac.uk writes:
> I want to get hold of the latest version of the PostScript-like interpreter
> for the PC call GHOSTSCRIPT. This is distributed by the
> FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION INC.
> Can anyone tell me the address/fax/phone of these people?

Running Archie with maxhits set to 4 gives the following four
ftp sites for ghostscript.  I also ran a check for UK sites
and at the momment there are no UK sites in the ARCHIE database.
The first two hits are in Australia, and the third is in Japan
So I would go for the fourth one in the US. All in all there are about
80-100 ftp sites for ghostscript... but I don't want to list them here.
Basically this was just a demo of the utility of Archie in finding
programmes.

archie> set maxhits 4
archie> prog ghostscript
# matches / % database sear   4 /  1% /  0%
Host munnari.oz.au   (128.250.1.21)
Last updated 19:02  8 Apr 1991

    Location: /gnu
      FILE      rw-r--r--    606899  Jan 19 17:29   ghostscript-2.1.1.tar.Z

Host metro.ucc.su.oz.au   (129.78.64.2)
Last updated 18:11  8 Apr 1991

    Location: /archive/gnu/ghostscript
      FILE      rw-r--r--    606899  Mar 13 07:08   ghostscript-2.1.1.tar.Z

Host miki.cs.titech.ac.jp   (131.112.16.39)
Last updated 05:03  7 Apr 1991

    Location: /GNU
      FILE      r--r--r--    606899  Jan 17 17:03   ghostscript-2.1.1.tar.Z

Host mcsun.eu.net   (192.16.202.1)
Last updated 05:09  6 Apr 1991

    Location: /gnu
      FILE      rw-r--r--    606899  Feb  2 11:54   ghostscript-2.1.1.tar.Z

RGDS -=ROB=-