[bionet.software] pUC vectors

suter2@urz.unibas.ch (clemens suter-crazzolara) (05/01/91)

Hi there,
we are looking for a simple pUC vector (preferably pUC 18
or 19) with a T7 promoter and a T3 promoter cloned in the
polylinker.
We already have pUC118, but this vector contains, as you know,
#a
origin for single stranded replication, and this hampers
our cloning scheme.

If you have this kind of vector, we would be very pleased to hear
from you.

Christian and Clemens

suter2@urz.unibas.ch (clemens suter-crazzolara) (05/13/91)

*Date: Mon, 13 May 91 18:34 CDT
*From: Bruce Roe <BROE@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu>
*Subject: re: pUC vectors
*To: bio-soft@genbank.bio.net

Shouldn't this be "methods @genbank.bio.net"?  Not a complaint from me,
just that it may get a more aappropriate audience there.

*You wrote:

*>>  Hi there,
*>>  we are looking for a simple pUC vector (preferably pUC 18
*>>  or 19) with a T7 promoter and a T3 promoter cloned in the
*>>  polylinker.
*>>  We already have pUC118, but this vector contains, as you know,
*>>  an origin for single stranded replication, and this hampers
*>>  our cloning scheme.

Shortened for brevity...

and

*>But what we really want is a vector that looks like this: pUC sequences-
*>T7 promoter-polylinker-T3 promoter-pUC sequences. Simple ? Yes !
*>M13 ori for ss replication ? No !

and

*       Bethesda Research Labs. has to vectors called:
*pT7/T3a-18 and pT7/T3a-19.  or at least they do according to their
*catalogue.  They both are pUC bases and have either the pUC18 or 19
*multiple cloning site flanked by the T7 and 73 promoters.

I use the pT7/T3-alpha vectors, and I hate to report that they have
M13 (or f1) ss ori sites.

Sorry to be a bubble burster, but I think that Clemens may have to
start constructing ;-(

     cheers,
     John,

     John H.E. Nash <Bitnet: NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA >
     Institute for Biological Sciences,
     National Research Council of Canada,
     Ottawa, Canada  K1A 0R6.

     Phone:  (613) 990-0990     Fax:    (613) 952-9092.
P.S. It's a BOY!

TAO%OPUS@mcoiarc.bitnet (05/14/91)

I could not help giving my 2 cents worth regarding the posting on pUC vecter.

It seems to me that people of the electronic age are even more narrowly-minded

than their "ancestors".  Maybe they are lazier too.

Answer to the question is the pBS vector from Strategene.  Even if one doesn't

have the money to buy it, one could still do some simple restriction digestion

and ligation to satisfy the experimental need [since the pUC based vector is

available to the questioneer, with an unwanted feature, right?].

Problems tend to be unique for individual project, customerization usually

would be the only way out.  To be a little deligent and broad-minded will

always help.  Another thing is whoever answering the posting is actually doing

the questioneer a favor.  I hope that everyone could keep this in mind.

Tao Tao                            "My name has nothing to do with the
Graduate Student                    Taoism, even though I am a believer of it."
Department of Microbiology
Medical College of Ohio
Toledo, Ohio 43699-0008

suter2@urz.unibas.ch (clemens suter-crazzolara) (05/16/91)

i think tao was pretty rude

suter2@urz.unibas.ch (clemens suter-crazzolara) (05/16/91)

to those netters that are interested...................

the vectors pT7/T3-18 or -19 of Gibco BRL and....
the pT3t7 lac vectors of Boehringer......
do contain pUC sequences and the T7 and T3 promoters.
They do NOT contain an ori for ss DNA replication, in other words, they
are plasmids, not phagemids. The first one is only 2239 bp in size.

I am sorry to have bothered you with so much bullshit about these vectors.
Tao Tao is probably just as frustrated as you are........