[bionet.software] Will there be a GCG for UNIX?

elmo@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eric Cabot) (05/21/91)

Does anyone know if the GCG package will be available for
UNIX soon.  Our lab is in the process of moving and there
is an internal struggle going on between those who'd like to
get another VaxStation running VMS (UGH) and those who'd like to get
a Unix-style workstation.   The main arbiter in all this is
the principle invesigator who wants to continue using GCG at all
costs (even speed, it would seem).

-Eric Cabot

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Eric Cabot                              |    elmo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

Peter.Rice@EMBL-HEIDELBERG.DE (Peter Rice) (05/22/91)

Eric,

>Does anyone know if the GCG package will be available for
>UNIX soon.  Our lab is in the process of moving and there
>is an internal struggle going on between those who'd like to
>get another VaxStation running VMS (UGH) and those who'd like to get
>a Unix-style workstation.   The main arbiter in all this is
>the principle investigator who wants to continue using GCG at all
>costs (even speed, it would seem).

GCG version 7.0 is just being released, and will also appear some
time soon for Unix. The conversion will be done by GCG, so you would
be wise to contact them (E-mail to HELP@GCG.COM) and ask them about
systems supported, pricing, and features (and the expected release date).

Alternatively, GCG is already supported on the Convex. But I guess you had
some other Unix-style workstation (ugh) in mind. Convex "cheated", they just
modified their VMS emulation libraries to include all the calls GCG uses.

I would certainly recommend using GCG at all costs - but as a VMS system
manager and GCG user I am a little biased. The big advantage is the access
to the source code and the procedure library.

 Peter Rice, EMBL                             | Post: Computer Group
 Internet:    Peter.Rice@EMBL-Heidelberg.DE   |            Biology Laboratory
 EARN/Bitnet: rice@embl.bitnet                |       Postfach 10-2209
                                              |       D-6900 Heidelberg
 Phone:   +49-6221-387247                     |       Germany

frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca (05/22/91)

In article <14179@ur-cc.UUCP> elmo@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eric Cabot) writes:
>Does anyone know if the GCG package will be available for
>UNIX soon.  Our lab is in the process of moving and there
>is an internal struggle going on between those who'd like to
>get another VaxStation running VMS (UGH) and those who'd like to get
>a Unix-style workstation.   The main arbiter in all this is
>the principle invesigator who wants to continue using GCG at all
>costs (even speed, it would seem).
>
>=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
>Eric Cabot                              |    elmo@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
>      "insert your face here"           |    elmo@uordbv.bitnet
>=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

With all due respect to GCG, which is a fine package of programs, it isn't
the last word in sequence analysis and shouldn't be the sole factor in
deciding what platform you use. There are lots of other programs and
program packages that run under Unix that, in many cases, do the job as
well or better than GCG. Some cost less than GCG, while others are free.
Some examples off the top of my head:

FASTA     Similarity searches etc.                           free
FSAP      General sequence analysis                          free
Delila    Database management, pattern matching etc.         free
MBCRR     Sequence editor, similarity, pattern matching etc. free
MBIR      Databases, similarity, protein, etc.                 $
PHYLIP    Phylogeny construction                             free
Prophet   Molecular graphics, modeling, etc.                 $ (500?)
XYLEM     Sequence database management                       free

This is only a very short list of the things that are available under
Unix. I have highlighted what I see as the main  strengths of each
package, so be aware that many of these packages have more capabilities
than are shown above. One nice feature is that most of these, along with
a host of other programs not mentioned above, are available through
anoymous FTP.

It's important to realize that no one program package can do everything,
and certainly no single package can do everything _well_.  Some very
exciting things are happening  in Unix, and you should take advantage of
them.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     | "There's a big ... machine in the sky...
University of Manitoba          | some kind of electric snake... coming
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | straight at us."
frist@ccu.umanitoba.ca          | "Shoot it," said my attorney.
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |"Not yet," I said,"I want to study its habits"
FAX:            204-275-5128    |H.S. Thompson, FEAR & LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS