[bionet.software] image processing programs

markb@bigtuna.UUCP (Mark Bieda) (06/15/91)

     We have access to confocal images of stomatogastric neurons. Obviously,
there is a huge amount of data contained in these optical sections. I am
just beginning to explore the field of digital image processing, although I
have a decent mathematical background (Fourier analysis, etc.)
     Does anyone have recommendations vis-a-vis books, articles, or programs?
References to methods-type articles, particularly those covering neuronal
reconstruction or reconstruction of planar sections, would be real helpful.
I am also particularly interested in public domain image processing programs.
Are there any available (MS-DOS, SUN or Mac ok) that do the planar
reconstruction (or something close to it)? I have already picked up a few
from the net that do convolution, etc. It strikes me that this problem is
very similar to the one that brain scanning people deal with (like measurement
of ventricle volume) so I would be interested in hearing from anyone on the
software end of those methodologies. I am also interested in corresponding
with anyone working on these questions. My e-mail address is:
mbieda@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

colburn@tessa (alex colburn) (06/28/91)

In article <9106142346.AA00689@wasabi.bio.hawaii.edu> markb@bigtuna.UUCP (Mark Bieda) writes:

>     We have access to confocal images of stomatogastric neurons. Obviously,
>there is a huge amount of data contained in these optical sections. I am
>just beginning to explore the field of digital image processing, although I
>have a decent mathematical background (Fourier analysis, etc.)

>Are there any available (MS-DOS, SUN or Mac ok) that do the planar
>reconstruction (or something close to it)? I have already picked up a few

	It looks like what you really want is a volume rendering system,
as far as public domain, you might be interestest in apE.  apE is available
for a $75 fee from apE@apE.sogp.osc.edu (I think there is an old SUN
version for free).  There is also a variety of NCSA software for X11.
I doubt you'll find anything for DOS machines since volume rendering is
a real memory hog!!!
	If you have access to a Silicon Graphics machine you may
want to look into Voxel View or some other renderer.
Good Luck,
Alex.