[alt.great-lakes] Zebra Mussels

jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (05/28/91)

Hey! Something I know about!

In article <EMV.91May28011045@bronte.aa.ox.com>, emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

> Some questions:
>
> - what's the scientific name of the zebra mussel?

Dreissena polymorpha

> - who is doing research on them these days?  I'd expect it would be a
>   hot topic, given their potential economic impacts on the Great Lakes
>   region, but a cursory search of the literature didn't yield any hits
>   on "zebra".

Funny you should mention that. The annual meeting of the International
Association of Great Lakes Researchers (IAGLR) is June 2-6 in Buffalo.
I'm attending (and presenting a poster which has nothing to do with
zebra mussels). There are two symposia (sessions 4A and 5A) titled:
"Progress in zebra mussel research in the Great Lakes Basin" (I and II).
These presumably have the stuff you're interested in. I can post talk
titles if there is interest; e-mail me if you want 'em.

> - these things are supposed to be widespread in Europe.  How do they
>   cope with them there?

There is some interesting speculation that predators are adapted to
deal with them there. The zebra mussel evolved in an ecosystem that
was in some sense co-evolving with it. Here, it's an introduction, and
the specialized predators that presumably exist in Europe do not
necessarily exist here, and if they do, might not yet have figured
out that these things are food. I have heard reports that both migrant
and overwintering waterfowl have had a spectacularly good year, which
maybe suggests that this new food source has found its way into the
food chain. I also understand that the negative effects associated
with the mussels, especially the clogged water intakes, are nowhere
near as bad has people had expected them to be. It's still too bad,
but it may not be disastrous.

BTW, it is suspected that the veligers (larvae) of the mussels came
over in ships from Europe which then pumped their ballast tanks here.
Oops.

> thanks.

No problem.

> --
> Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv@msen.com

Josh Hayes, Zoology, Miami of Ohio
jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (05/29/91)

In article <5320.28422789@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jahayes@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

   > - who is doing research on them these days?

   Funny you should mention that. The annual meeting of the International
   Association of Great Lakes Researchers (IAGLR) is June 2-6 in Buffalo.
   I'm attending (and presenting a poster which has nothing to do with
   zebra mussels). There are two symposia (sessions 4A and 5A) titled:
   "Progress in zebra mussel research in the Great Lakes Basin" (I and II).

Could you post the titles, esp. with names and group affiliations?
I'm particularly interested in tracking down people who might be on
the net already, in the hopes of getting some of the commercial
organizations that have zebra mussel problems to know that there are
researchers actively working on stuff.  If there are preprints or
other information or data to be had electronically I can find an FTP
home for them somewhere.

--
Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv@msen.com

"With all of the attention and publicity focused on gigabit networks,
not much notice has been given to small and largely unfunded research
efforts which are studying innovative approaches for dealing with
technical issues within the constraints of economic science."
							RFC 1216