[ingr.general] Heterogeneous Databases

brownell@ingr.com (Paul Brownell) (02/11/90)

I need am researching current advances and opinions on access to
heterogeneous databases (for example: linking Informix data to
Oracle).  If anyone could recommend some sources, I would appreciate
it.

---

	Paul Brownell
	brownell@ingr.com
	...uunet!ingr!brownell

---

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) (02/16/90)

In article <8707@ingr.com> brownell@ingr.com (Paul Brownell) writes:
>I need am researching current advances and opinions on access to
>heterogeneous databases (for example: linking Informix data to
>Oracle).  If anyone could recommend some sources, I would appreciate
>it.

Is this what you really want to do?  I'd bet what you really want to do is
have an application that can process data stored in either an Informix or an
Oracle database, right?

As of right now, I know of no Application Development Environment that gives
you true heterogeneous DBMS access.  However, there are several on the market
that give you access to more than one data base, one at a time.

Unify's Accell/SQL is one of these.  It allows applications to be built that
can run on Informix, Oracle, Sybase, SCO Integra, and, of course, Unify 2000.
Each implementation is a "native implementation", meaning that Accell/SQL uses
the host RDBMS data dictionary and SQL (or CISAM) interfaces.  Obviously, the
industry is moving in the direction of heterogeneous RDBMS access, and Unify
is participating in this industry standard activity via the SQL Access
Group.

--
David Harrington		                      internet: dgh@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation		                ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!dgh