[net.followup] Big Brother IS wtaching you

franka@hercules.UUCP (Frank Adrian) (12/05/84)

In article <82@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Anyway, even though the White House isn't reading it, the NSA (CIA?
>S.H.I.E.L.D.?) is probably poring through it :-).

	What do you mean probably (and by the :-))?!?!?!  As far as I know,
the NSA intercepts ALL message traffic which passes in and out of the country.
Since USENET goes to Canada (those horrible enemies of democracy to the North)
and to Europe and Australia (you know, the ones with the funny accents who
don't always agree with us), you can bet your ass the NSA is watching (look
out, Piet, we got a list).  Have fun guys, but if you want to start a real
plot, you better not use USENET.

			"Remember, wherever you happen to be --
				you're already there"
					Frank Adrian
					    ___
					   /- -\
					   \ - /

	uucp: {decvax,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!tektronix!teklds!franka
	CSnet: franka@tek
	ARPAnet: franka.tek@rand-relay

jin@hplabs.UUCP (Tai Jin) (12/05/84)

i thought that the nsa or whoever might be monitoring all the traffic, but
then i realized that they just don't have the resources (manpower) to bother
with it.  there's so much other message traffic elsewhere of more importance
that they don't have time for useless net mail.

sef@drutx.UUCP (FarleighSE) (12/06/84)

.
From what I have heard, NSA keys on certain words in a transmission,
if these words show-up they then read the entire text.
.
Can anyone out there verify my information?  That is without the
U.S. version of the KGB knocking at their door.
.
.			Scott E. Farleigh
.			AT&TIS Denver

faunt@saturn.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (12/06/84)

They certainly have the resources to do key-word searches on all the net
traffic.  After all, it all goes in and out of ONE VAX, with time left
over to do some real work.  I am of course refering to USENET.  The rest
of the uucp traffic is certainly not that much more.
--
	...!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay
HP is in no way responsible for anything I say here.

ron@celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) (12/06/84)

In article <338@hercules.UUCP> franka@hercules.UUCP (Frank Adrian) writes:

>In article <82@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>Anyway, even though the White House isn't reading it, the NSA (CIA?
>>S.H.I.E.L.D.?) is probably poring through it :-).
>
>	What do you mean probably (and by the :-))?!?!?!
>
>			As far as I know,
>
>the NSA intercepts ALL message traffic which passes in and out of the country.
>Since USENET goes to Canada (those horrible enemies of democracy to the North)
>and to Europe and Australia (you know, the ones with the funny accents who
>don't always agree with us), you can bet your ass the NSA is watching (look
>out, Piet, we got a list).  Have fun guys, but if you want to start a real
>plot, you better not use USENET.

As far as ***I*** know, you don't know what you're talking about. One conspiricy
Theory is as good as another. I think the Russians are intercepting all YOUR
traffic. So there.

	R. L. (Ron) McDaniels
	{decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4 || akgua || philabs}!sdcsvax!celerity!ron
>					    ___
>					   /o x\
>					   \ - /

N.B. The above quoted article has been carefully altered to emphasize the
     authors lack of clear thought and blatent appeal to the paranoia that
     exists in all of us.

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/07/84)

In article <2515@saturn.UUCP> faunt@saturn.UUCP (Doug Faunt) writes:
>They certainly have the resources to do key-word searches on all the net
>traffic.

You mean, all I have to type in is "Commie"...

WHOOPS! Wait, guys!  TIME OUT! THIS IS ONLY A DRILL! REPEAT!  THIS IS...

    "Even though the prospect sickens, Brother, here we go again..."
	-Also Tom Lehrer (I posted the whole song to the net last year...)

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

bmw@aesat.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (12/10/84)

/*NOTEATEN*/

> You mean, all I have to type in is "Commie"...
>
> WHOOPS! Wait, guys!  TIME OUT! THIS IS ONLY A DRILL! REPEAT!  THIS IS...
>
>					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
>					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

Don't worry, Moriarty, I happen to know that anything in quotes or comment
delimiters is ignored by the "NSA" keyword searcher.

Now if they were using grep ...

"Bruce Walker     {allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!bmw"

jmc@ist.UUCP (John Collins) (12/11/84)

Hmmmm... What might the chances be of setting up private nets?
Or is the problem with people plugging into the phone line?
--
John Collins calling courtesy of ist
	Please reply to ...!mcvax!ist!inset!jmc

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (12/18/84)

I am still a "hacker" and I'm proud of it.