[alt.activism] Rocks and Homosexuals

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (03/31/89)

In article <10214@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> fkchang@athena.mit.edu (Sue's guy) writes:
>In article <78650WHV@PSUVM> WHV@PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Verity) writes:
>>Mr. Whitehead's account has been suspended and his instructor notified.  This
>>case has been turned over to the Office of Conduct Standards.

>	Surely, many, including myself were grossly offended.  However,
>he was expressing he free speech.

>	Perhaps he overstepped the bounds of "common accepted " decency here,
>But I believe him to be entitled to his opinion, as evil as they are.

He certainly has the right to his opinions.  And the right to publically
express them.  But the university has the right to determine how its
facilities are to be used.  A computer account is not a
constitutionally-mandated right.

Mr. Whitehead's actions are no more protected than mine if I insisted on
storing my heartfelt opinions on your PC's hard disk.

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();    "Get that OUT of your signature file!"
MESARD@BBN.COM                                             -DB.