[alt.activism] Does the US Government even exist?

utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ronald BODKIN) (01/17/90)

In article <101@zds-ux.UUCP> gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) writes:
>Is it that capitalism has been eroded, or that capitalism has eroded
>the liberty and democracy that are the true legacy of our constitution
>and Declaration of Independance?  I see no real world evidence to
>prove that such erosion or freedom and special interest warfare is
>not guaranteed to happen with a capitalist system, just as many claim
>Marxism implies restrictive dictatorship.
	I don't think it is anything like capitalism that has done this.
The overwhelming evidence suggests that all the breaches in individual
liberty have come from people trying to obtain political advantage
by seizing some paternalistic/redistributionist program and implementingit.
It is not reasonable to say that now capitalism has broken down to a large
extent and that people have special interest warfare in the resulting
decline in firm , effective government begun to seek out government
favours, that therefore since some businessmen are involved in the
mad dash, that capitalism eroded liberty.  Since capitalism is the
system of individual freedom, if IT erodes liberty (and BTW democracy
is NOT especially a strong tradition of the constitution -- although
Hamilton was disappointed with the amount that was allowed in) then
there is no way for people to be free in a nation.  This is a very
sad prospect.  But I don't buy it in the least.

>No, that doesn't follow.  Why can't I claim both forms are bankrupt?
>I already said it doesn't matter what type of conspiracy it is.
	In that case you are still going to be trapped doing nothing.
> Are yousaying that all we need is to "fix" capitalism?  Maybe,
>but I claim that any system that concentrates power in a small elite
>group is headed for trouble.
	By "fix" capitalism, I mean restore individual liberties and
freedoms (including economic freedom -- which is part of individual
freedom).  And  so long as economic power does not translate into
condign power (which generally happens through government involvement)
there is little to worry about.  Then again, to fix up American society,
you would first need to educate people -- you can't build on the mass
of confusion currently out there.  America has thrown away Christianity
(correctly) but adopted Materialism (foolishly) as its new dominant
philosophy.  Capitalism is poorly served by this -- and by this I
mean the people themselves suffer.
		Ron