[alt.activism] Akwesasne Notes & gambling

mcb@presto.IG.COM (Michael C. Berch) (01/17/90)

In the referenced article, jdmann@cdp.UUCP writes:
>    In view of recent comments about Akwesasne Notes and gambling at the St.
> Regis Reserve/Akwesasne Mohawk Nation, I am posting the official communique
> of the Onondaga Council of Chiefs prepared at the request of the Mohawk
> Council.  I caution every reader to keep in mind that native communities are
> microcosm's of the larger American and world society--they are, after all,
> human beings just like the rest of us, subject to the same vices and weakness,
> modified but not eliminated by their unique culture.  [...]

I found the statement of the Onondaga Chiefs singularly unimpressive,
and the clear message I came away with was that it is the Chiefs and the
Mohawk Nation authorities who are in the wrong.  Perhaps Mr. Yarrow
can explain why the Mohawk Nation government has given itself the
right to deny certain basic freedoms to its members, such as the right
to engage in the business or profession of one's choice, the right to
risk one's private capital in a business venture, and the right to
form business associations with non-members of the Nation.

It is also stated in the communique that these business associations
"violate the sovereignty" of the Nation.  Perhaps someone would care
to set forth a definition of "sovereignty" that would justify this
assertion.  Merely because the Mohawk Nation and other Indian tribes
enjoy certain sovereignities and exemptions from State and Federal
laws does not entitle the tribal bureaucracy, it seems to me, to
suppress the human rights of its members.  Merely because the U.S.
government and the states have decided that gambling should be banned
(in all but a few places) except where run as a state monopoly does
not mean that the Indian Nations should make the same mistake, based
on similar paternalistic, moralistic rhetoric about the "evils of
gambling".

(How would you like it, for example, if you lived in New Jersey, and
the NJ State government asserted that you could not enter into a
business partnership inside New Jersey with a non-New Jerseyan because
it "violated the sovereignty" of New Jersey?  Or if it prohibited you
from taking your business revenues out of the state?)

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb