[alt.activism] Forrest Mimms fired by Scientific American

jshaw@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (James and Colleen) (03/05/91)

About four months ago I heard a short piece on NPR about Scientific
American firing Forrest Mimms.  I hadn't heard any more about it
until (fortunately) my new issue of Harper's (March 1991) came.  It
published a telephone conversation with Mimms and the editor of SA.

Mimms was fired because he didn't believe in evolution and was a
creationist.  For those of you who do not read SA, Mimms' articles
have nothing to do with biology and the issue of evolution or
creationism never come up.  He was fired strickly for his religious
beliefs (he is a christian) not for any articles that
he wrote.  He was in fact complemented by the editor for his work.

Mimms wrote the Ametuer Scientist articles in SA.  He has also
written a number of electronics books, as well as writing many
columns for electronics magazines including Modern Electronics.

For the record, I am an atheist and I don't agree with Forrest
Mimms' religious views, but I am also a scientist and agree with
Scientific American even less.

I have a number of questions for everyone out there:
A.  Is everyone as offended by this very unscientific, and
fundamentally marketing, decision of SA?  Is there anyone out there
who can defend SA's decision?

B.  What can I do about it.  I could cancel my subscription to SA,
but I do happen to like the other articles in it.  I could write
them a letter, but I doubt they will publish it on their letters
page.  (They have made no mention of their dropping of Mimms in
their magazine).  I could also write to companies
advertising in their magazine.  I'm not sure how effective this is.
Any suggestions on this will help.

C.  Are there other occurances of censorship like this from major
and/or scientific publications?  (recent or landmark, please)

D.  Does anyone know the current status of Mimms.  I had heard the
ACLU was thinking of taking up the case, but I don't know that he
wanted to bother.  I hope he sues them; he deserves recompensation
and SA deserves the bad publicity (Sorry, off my soapbox now...).

I would urge anyone following this thread to find the current issue
of Harper's at their library (or if you must sneak a peek at the
bookstore).  It is a short 1-2 page article.  It starts on page 28.

Thank you,
James Shaw

P.s.  I was not sure which groups to post to.  If there are any more
that you feel should be included, please add them to your reply.

pauls@tellabs.com (Paul Silver) (03/06/91)

Scientific American fired Forrest Mimms because having someone who
believed in creationism as a member of their staff would cause the
magazine to lose its reputation.  I can see where this would be true.
Would you read a book on, say, quantum mechanics, which contained
contributions from the witch doctor of some Amazonian Indian tribe?
Probably not.
  /       Paul Silver          /         Dischord Records            /
 /     pauls@tellabs.com      /    putting the D.C. in harDCore     /
   All opinions expressed are strictly my own, unless I stole them.

frank@grep.co.uk (Frank Wales) (03/08/91)

In article <5472@tellab5.tellabs.com> pauls@tellabs.com (Paul Silver) writes:
>Scientific American fired Forrest Mimms because having someone who
>believed in creationism as a member of their staff would cause the
>magazine to lose its reputation.

Quite the contrary, IMHO.

>I can see where this would be true.
>Would you read a book on, say, quantum mechanics, which contained
>contributions from the witch doctor of some Amazonian Indian tribe?
>Probably not.

Speak for yourself; that way lies closed-mindedness.

Ideas shouldn't be judged according to their creators; many of the greatest
contributors to science were also religious, but that doesn't mean that we
disregard their work; the science is not the scientist.  We should be
sceptical, but not pre-judgemental.  Any publication with the word
"scientific" in its name should appreciate and uphold this ideal.
--
Frank Wales, Grep Limited,             [frank@grep.co.uk<->uunet!grep!frank]
Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, LEEDS, UK, LS19 7LX. (+44) 532 500303

lamb@brahms.udel.edu (Richard E Lamb) (03/09/91)

	If I remember right, Dr. Einstein was a very religious man.

	Does that make relativity suspect?
	I guess it does to some....

	All this babble...

	The (proposed) final word: