[alt.activism] The Next War

gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (03/27/91)

Some have asked what I mean by "the next war."

Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.
Where?  Here are some of the candidates:

country          pretext(s)
-------          ------------------------------------------
Afghanistan      control civil war
Cambodia         control civil war
Colombia         drug war; oppose revolution
Cuba             drug war; assist revolution
El Salvador      suppress revolution
Iran             oppose influence/intervention in Iraq
Iraq II          control civil war
Libya            terrorism; influence/intervention in Africa
Peru             drug war; oppose revolution
Vietnam	         vengeance

(Note also that if Kurdish success in Iraq leads to a Kurdish
invasion / revolt in Turkey, NATO will probably be bound by
treaty to intervene.)

When?

Defeat causes a considerable hiatus in the rhythm of American
military adventures.  Consider the following table, covering
the period of the domination of American politics by the
Military-Industrial-Academic complex:

first last
year  year    event          result            time until next war
----  ----    -----          ---------         -------------------
1941  1945    World War II   victory           5 (1950)
1950  1953+   Korea          standoff         12 (1965)
1965* 1973    Vietnam        defeat           13 (1986)
1986  1986    Grenada        victory!          4 (1990)
1990  1990    Panama         victory!!         1 (1991)
1991  1991    Iraq           victory!!!        ?

+ most of the fighting took place in 1950 and 1951.

* first year of admitted combat using U.S. troops.  Inter-
vention began earlier, but was ignored or concealed.

The average time to war after a victory is three years and
change (but note the trend!); after a less satisfactory outcome,
12 years and six months.  Unopposed interventions and goofball
excursions such as Lebanon I and II and the Rescue of the
Iranian Hostages have not been included.

There's also the matter of the 1992 election.  His Excellency
was slipping fast in the polls before the light in August.
None of the pre-Gulf problems have really gone away.  Will
another little war be necessary to get the polls up again?

--
Gordon Fitch  |  gcf@mydog.uucp  | uunet!cmcl2.nyu.edu!panix!mydog!gcf

bee@ms.uky.edu (E. Gilliam) (03/27/91)

gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

>Some have asked what I mean by "the next war."
>Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
>current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.

Yeah, I can see that.  Like, after World War I.  We were just
all over the world, satiating our thirst for another victory...

--
bee@ms.uky.edu   uunet, etc.:ukma!bee   bitnet:bee@ukma.bitnet

Man is the highest animal.
Man does the classifying.

In article <bee.670089091@s.ms.uky.edu> bee@ms.uky.edu (E. Gilliam) writes:

   gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

   >Some have asked what I mean by "the next war."
   >Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
   >current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.

   Yeah, I can see that.  Like, after World War I.  We were just
   all over the world, satiating our thirst for another victory...

But if you'll go back and read his article, Gordon notes that it's the
Military-Industrial Complex that's calling the wars he talks about,
and the MIC didn't come to the forefront of American politics until
after WWII.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (03/28/91)

| gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
|
| >Some have asked what I mean by "the next war."
| >Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
| >current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.

bee@ms.uky.edu (E. Gilliam) writes:
| Yeah, I can see that.  Like, after World War I.  We were just
| all over the world, satiating our thirst for another victory...

It's true what they say about you guys not reading history,
isn't it?  Between the period from 1918 to 1930 the United
States intervened in the Soviet Union and in Latin America.

However, the Military-Industrial-Academic complex had not yet
formed, and as a result war was not being sold as a regular
product.  It was just something that the, uh, "managing class"
did to get its business done, as quietly as possible.

War was once considered a Bad Thing, you know.

--
Gordon Fitch  |  gcf@mydog.uucp  | uunet!cmcl2.nyu.edu!panix!mydog!gcf

kitchel@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Sid Kitchel) (03/28/91)

gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

|->It's true what they say about you guys not reading history,
|->isn't it?  Between the period from 1918 to 1930 the United
|->States intervened in the Soviet Union and in Latin America.
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Let's not cast too many motes before we examine the beams!! The US
and others put troops into Russia in 1919-20 to protect the integrity
of the Trans-Siberian Railway. Russia was in chaos with the Reds and the
Whites hard at it. When the foreign troops arrived the Tsar had not yet
been executed. There was no stable CCCP as yet. Franklin Roosevelt's
first administration was the first US government to recognize that the
Bolsheviki had won the civil war.

					Former naval person and
					former historian,
						--Sid
--
Sid Kitchel...............WARNING: allergic to smileys and hearts....
Computer Science Dept.                         kitchel@cs.indiana.edu

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.224813.20137@swbatl.sbc.com> prater@oktext.UUCP (Caryn S. Prater) writes:
>In article <bee.670089091@s.ms.uky.edu> bee@ms.uky.edu (E. Gilliam) writes:
>>gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
>>
>>>Some have asked what I mean by "the next war."
>>>Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
>>>current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.
>>Yeah, I can see that.  Like, after World War I.  We were just
>>all over the world, satiating our thirst for another victory...
>Don't be ridiculous, King George and predecessor King Ronnie were
>not in the midst of their reign of TERROR.  We didn't have a lets
>kick some butts attitude then like we do now.
>Caryn

Oh yeah, that's right, we forgot that George Bush is responsible for every
evil and war of this century, before he was in office and even before he
was born.  But what other fiendish plans do you expect from such an evil
supergenius?

jack@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (03/30/91)

bee@ms.uky.edu (E. Gilliam) wrote:
> gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
>> Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
>> current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.
> Yeah, I can see that.  Like, after World War I.  We were just
> all over the world, satiating our thirst for another victory...

That sarcasm looks a bit silly if you remember what the winners of WW1 did
within the next five years.  Britain and France stomped all over the Middle
East to enforce the Sykes-Picot agreement and forced through the Treaty of
Lausanne and gave Venizelos the green light to invade what was left of
Turkey.  The US, Britain, France and Japan launched the War of Intervention
against the Soviet Union.  Italy turned into a Fascist state.  US oil
companies started their proxy Chaco War between Bolivia and Paraguay.

They just forgot to give this lot a catchy label like "New World Order".

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6854 work  041 556 1878 home

bbs@NCoast.ORG (XBBS System) (04/02/91)

cmort@ncoast.org --- Chris Morton

In article <1991Mar27.224813.20137@swbatl.sbc.com> prater@oktext.UUCP (Caryn S. Prater) writes:

>Don't be ridiculous, King George and predecessor King Ronnie were
>not in the midst of their reign of TERROR.  We didn't have a lets
>kick some butts attitude then like we do now.

"TERROR"?  Well, I GUESS, at least for Republican Guards anyway.... :)
I wonder what kind of "attitude" that Senor Sandino thought we had...? :)

cmort@ncoast.org --- Chris Morton

"These opinions are mine, MINE, ALL MINE!!!!"

elliot@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Elliot Wilen) (04/06/91)

I suppose this really belongs in soc.history, but since it's
apparently considered par for the course to post articles about
Cambodia in alt.desert-storm, my comments below should pass muster
without much difficulty.

In article <NELSON.91Mar27155322@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:
>In article <bee.670089091@s.ms.uky.edu> bee@ms.uky.edu (E. Gilliam) writes:
>
>   gcf@mydog.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
>
>   >Some have asked what I mean by "the next war."
>   >Victory always creates a thirst for more victory.  When the
>   >current high wears off, it'll be time to look for another hit.
>

>   Yeah, I can see that.  Like, after World War I.  We were just
>   all over the world, satiating our thirst for another victory...
>
>But if you'll go back and read his article, Gordon notes that it's the
>Military-Industrial Complex that's calling the wars he talks about,
>and the MIC didn't come to the forefront of American politics until
>after WWII.

On the contrary. During the thirties and early forties, it was widely
believed that American involvement in World War I was directly due to
the machinations of arms manufacturers and Wall Street. This conspiracy
theory was used by both conservative isolationists and (especially after the
Nazi-Soviet pact) leftist intellectuals to argue that the United
States should avoid involvement in the wars in Europe and China. Some
continued to oppose US aid to the Allies on these grounds even after the
defeat of France.

--Elliot Wilen

elliot@ocf.berkeley.edu   !ucbvax!ocf!elliot   elliot%ocf@ucbjade