[sci.nanotech] Overdrawn at the memory bank

trebor@uunet.uu.net (Robert J Woodhead) (06/29/89)

In article <Jun.27.01.01.49.1989.12569@athos.rutgers.edu> dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu (daniel mocsny) writes:
>I can see a great story line here (but it must surely have been done
>already). Imagine someone who keeps getting blown away and restored,
>and each time the destruction is serious enough to delete the
>memory of how death occurred.

	It's been done.  One of John Varley's short stories in
	his main future history deals with just this situation,
	in which the main character wakes up from the backup
	reading to find that she is actually the third attempt,
	there having been several murders.

	And, in ``The Ophiuci Hotline,'' also by Varley, the
	main character is kidnapped by the bad guys from death
	row by switching her for a clone (which gets offed),
	then she wakes up from her regular backup to find that
	she is yet another incarnation, the previous ones,
	including the original, having been killed trying to
	escape.  She is shown tapes of the botched escape
	attempts in an attempt to prove to her that she cannot
	possibly escape...

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP