[sci.nanotech] Information storage

flowers@tybalt.caltech.edu (Dave Flowers) (07/04/89)

	On the topic of information storage : it is silly to say that the
information of how an object is constructed must be stored in anything larger
than the object itself, as its own structure contains all of the information
necessary to construct another one.  The only reason to store this information
in a different form (other than for convenience) is to decrease the size
necessary to store it.  Other methods of storing include using methods similar
to those used by the pkarc, pkpak, and pkzip family - data compression, and
there is a large amount of redundancy in most objects.

				Dave flowers@tybalt.caltech.edu

honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) (07/07/89)

In article <Jul.3.19.55.45.1989.4527@athos.rutgers.edu> flowers@tybalt.caltech.edu (Dave Flowers) writes:

>	On the topic of information storage : it is silly to say that the
>information of how an object is constructed must be stored in anything larger
>than the object itself, as its own structure contains all of the information
>necessary to construct another one.  The only reason to store this information
>in a different form (other than for convenience) is to decrease the size
>necessary to store it.

Wrong!

Information is represented in other forms because it is easier to
perform certain operations in some encodings than in others.  (Which
operations you want to optimize depends upon your goals.  E.g., Roman
Numbering can be more compact than Radix Decimal for some numbers but
arithmetic algorithms on R.N. are nasty.)

Other methods of storing include using methods similar
>to those used by the pkarc, pkpak, and pkzip family - data compression, and
>there is a large amount of redundancy in most objects.
>
>				Dave flowers@tybalt.caltech.edu

There is great redundancy in everything of interest, true.  But we'd still
describe the world in terms other than the things themselves!

David Honig	honig@ics.uci.edu

--
David A Honig

[There is at least one other reason not to use the object itself--it may
 be perishable.  Still, as David and others have said, most objects
 "of interest" will have highly compact representations.
 --JoSH]