[sci.nanotech] Backups

landman@sun.com (Howard A. Landman) (06/30/89)

In article <Jun.27.01.01.49.1989.12569@athos.rutgers.edu> dmocsny@uceng.uc.edu (daniel mocsny) writes:
>That way even if you
>got blown away without backing up in a week or so, the simulation
>could probably piece you back together by extrapolating forward from
>your past and by interpolating with its other knowledge of events
>in your area.

I don't think so.  Too many chaotic (and hence inherently unpredictable)
inputs.  It's much more likely that you'll be able to restore from
periodic "full backups".  The cost and difficulty of making a backup
is an important issue; if it's expensive or difficult, people won't do it
very often, which will lead to problems that are all too easy to imagine.

>I can see a great story line here (but it must surely have been done
>already). Imagine someone who keeps getting blown away and restored,
>and each time the destruction is serious enough to delete the
>memory of how death occurred.

It's been done already, by John Varley.  "Getting murdered can be a
problem, especially after the third time..."  I don't remember the
story title, but it might be in the same volume with "Overdrawn at
the Memory Bank", which deals with similar issues.

Another possibility due to Varley - if your "self" is primarily in
(nano-)hardware, or can be "translated" to other genetic structures,
then you might choose to spend your vacation as a lion or a dolphin.
Club Zed - the antidote for being human?  What is it like to be a bat?

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@sun.com

emmo@uunet.uu.net (Dave Emmerson) (07/13/89)

Dave flowers@tybalt.caltech.edu asserts :

> The only reason to store this information
> in a different form (other than for convenience) is to decrease the size
> necessary to store it.

Surely the MAIN reason for storing it is that the intended storage
medium is longer lived and more durable.  A decrease in size is only a
convenient bonus - even if it can be achieved.

Dave E.

(Now where did I put those dodo tapes?...)