[sci.nanotech] Synthetic consciences

ems1@att.att.com (08/11/89)

In article <Aug.4.23.31.03.1989.20337@athos.rutgers.edu> pmb@swituc.uucp (Pat Berry) writes:

>> >day, just *might* be possible thru nanotechnology. The leading force
>> >might use their time advantage to design an artificial conscience,
>> >and apply it to *everyone*, to modify behavior. The artificial
>
>And who is going to play God and decide what my conscience is to consider
>right and wrong?  What if this decision-maker happens to admire Hitler?
>(or any of an inumerable list of individual-specific "evils")
>
>No, leave me out of your mass conscience... I prefer to find my own way
>to Nirvana.
>
>Pat Berry

At the present time parents, and various other role models, play the
major part in the initial shaping of a person's conscience. As we get
older, we either take the responsibility for conscience shaping to
ourselves or cede it to various religious or moral leaders.

In the future, the leading force will inevitably have to make major
ethical decisions (in your parlance "play god"), even if their
decision is, "we're going to do nothing and let the first tyrant
with a will to power take over".

Perhaps the word "conscience" is loaded with too many other
connotations. What I really described earlier would be a form of
conditioned response to the use of nanotechnology. It should be
no more obtrusive (into other areas of life) than automatically
donning your seatbelt when you go driving.

Why do computers have security systems? Why don't we just leave
it up to everyone's conscience? The answer is that it takes just
one immoral computer user to damage/destroy the system for everyone.

To put it another way, your freedom is, (or should be) an inverse
function of the population density. With the advent of true
nanotechnology, I'll think we'll find the world is very small indeed.

[ Well thats a big enough pile of "flammables" for now. Think I'll
  just hunker down into my nanotech heat-suit (with diamond fiber
  heat conductor channels). ]

Ed Strong {princeton,attmail}!nanotech!ems

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (08/15/89)

Newsgroups: sci.nanotech
Subject: Re: Synthetic consciences
In article <Aug.10.22.26.32.1989.11862@athos.rutgers.edu> mtuxo!ems1@att.att.com writes:
>In the future, the leading force will inevitably have to make major
>ethical decisions (in your parlance "play god"),

>What I really described earlier would be a form of
>conditioned response to the use of nanotechnology.

>Why do computers have security systems? Why don't we just leave
>it up to everyone's conscience? The answer is that it takes just
>one immoral computer user to damage/destroy the system for everyone.
>
>To put it another way, your freedom is, (or should be) an inverse
>function of the population density. With the advent of true
>nanotechnology, I'll think we'll find the world is very small indeed.

The "is" part may have some basis in history, but I disagree
completely with the "should be" part.

>[ Well thats a big enough pile of "flammables" for now. Think I'll
>  just hunker down into my nanotech heat-suit (with diamond fiber
>  heat conductor channels). ]
>
>Ed Strong {princeton,attmail}!nanotech!ems

[ Nanobot disassembler launcher status : Armed/Ready :-]

While I disagree strongly with almost everything in Ed's post, I'm
glad he posted it.  There *will* be people using exactly the same
arguments when nanotech starts to have practical applications (and
visible dangers).

I'll call the people who will favor centralized control of
nanotechnology and psychological/biological/nanotechnological controls
on individual behavior "pro-security".  I'll call the people who will
oppose them "pro-freedom".  (Of course, they may end up calling
themselves different -- maybe something like, say, pro-life and
pro-choice :-).

I anticipate that the pro-security forces will succeed in having tight
government regulation of nanotech, but not in forcing mandatory
behavior controls on the population (at least, not in this country).

Until... the first major nanocrime or nanoterrorist attack.
Regardless of how many safeguards are taken, one of these is bound to
happen eventually.

Hopefully, people will value their freedom highly enough that this
will not cause them to overreact.  Unfortunately, this is the same
society which has banned lawn darts and three-wheeled ATVs, so the
outcome is far from guaranteed.

If the pro-security forces succeed, what are the options for
pro-freedom individuals who do not want to be psycho/bio/nano
programmed?  I see three.

1) Join the elite.

In every totalitarian regime, there is always an elite -- Ed's
"leading force" above.  This is okay as long as (a) you don't mind
aiding such a regime and (b) you are Machiavellian enough to stay at
the top (or at least in the favor) of the power structure.

2) Join the underground.

The same elements that make nanotech dangerous make it an extremely
effective weapon against a totalitarian regime.  Imagine a nanomachine
designed to search and destroy government records.  Or a nanovirus
designed to assassinate leaders of the regime.  This might require a
getting a tissue sample first, then a nanovirus designed to hunt down
a specific genetic code.

3) Leave (the planet, that is)

If the leaders of the regime have a sufficiently elightened concept of
their self-interest, they may take the "population:freedom inverse
ratio" to heart, build some spacecraft, give them to the pro-freedom
"troublemakers", and say "Go!  Do whatever you want, but leave us
alone!"

I think most of the pro-freedom people would find this an acceptable
compromise.  (As an aside, ever notice how many of the members of the
pro-space movement are libertarians?)

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

ems@princeton.edu (Edward M. Strong Jr.) (08/22/89)

In article <Aug.14.20.20.52.1989.14082@athos.rutgers.edu> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu writes:
>> I proposed conditioned responses to avoid misuse of nanotechnology.

>[ Nanobot disassembler launcher status : Armed/Ready :-]

I *knew* somebody was going to try to take me apart over this :-)

Let me state that I personally prefer a "maximum of looseness"
myself in human affairs. I only proposed this idea because it
appears to be technically workable, and it may be the *only* way
the world can enjoy the fruits of nanotechnology while avoiding
the worst pitfalls. Of course "mind control" causes knee-jerk
response in most of us when we hear the term. It's *bad*,
Orwellian, an unholy twisting of the human spirit that produces
rigid zombies, etc. (Hmmm...isn't it funny how we all have the
same associations about this subject? Could it be we've already
*been* programmed?)

>While I disagree strongly with almost everything in Ed's post, I'm
>glad he posted it.  There *will* be people using exactly the same
>arguments when nanotech starts to have practical applications (and
>visible dangers).

The reason people will use these arguments is because they have
some merit. So far the counter-arguments are lacking in rationality.
They amount to "lets not do this because *I* don't like it". How
about something with a little more meat in it, along the lines of
"It won't work because...."?

>I anticipate that the pro-security forces will succeed in having tight
>government regulation of nanotech, but not in forcing mandatory
>behavior controls on the population (at least, not in this country).

Let me point out that accepting the conditioning is a lot less
invasive than having some government bureaucrat watching you 24 hours
a day. (Since the G-man can't read your mind he is going to inevitably
wind up watching you at times when you're not even thinking about
nanotech).

As far as the controls being mandatory, you'll only need them if
you intend to work creatively with nanotechnology. You're free to
choose, both or neither. And the controls would be applied to all
nanotechnologists, without exception.

[ Some text elided .... ]

>If the pro-security forces succeed, what are the options for
>pro-freedom individuals who do not want to be psycho/bio/nano
>programmed?  I see three.

Wow! This is a pretty emotionally loaded sentence. Brian cleverly
sets up an either/or dichotomy, with "security forces" on one
hand and "freedom (loving) individuals" on the other. We all know
which kind we want to be, right?

The reality is that the security-freedom scale is a continuum.
All societies fall somewhere on that scale, and change their
positions based on the decisions they make. Absolute freedom, as
well as absolute security, is impossible. (Just as an aside,
note that American society in recent decades has been growing
conservative and sliding towards the "security" end of the scale
in recent decades. I don't have any opinion on whether this is
a "good" thing or not. If pressed, I would hazard a guess that
the slide is caused by the aging of the population. As for
myself, my slogan is "Bring back the sixties!" :-)

>1) Join the elite.
>In every totalitarian regime, there is always an elite -- Ed's
>"leading force" above.  This is okay as long as (a) you don't mind
>aiding such a regime and (b) you are Machiavellian enough to stay at
>the top (or at least in the favor) of the power structure.

Sorry Brian, in this scheme there isn't an elite, in the sense you
mean, exempt from the conditioning. For this conditioning plan to be
workable at all, there have to be no exceptions to the nanotech
design knowledge=conditioned rule. In addition, if you're faced with
the task of designing the "bit" to go in your own mouth, you'll make
that design as comfy as possible. By the way, the "leading force" idea
is not mine, it is described in Drexler's book. Drexler evidently
hopes that the leading force will be benevolent by virtue of being
steeped in (read: conditioned by) traditional Western mores and
Judeo-Christian ethic. My conditioning proposal is merely an attempt
to take some of the gamble out of that hope, and make it more of a
sure thing.

>2) Join the underground.
>The same elements that make nanotech dangerous make it an extremely
>effective weapon against a totalitarian regime.  Imagine a nanomachine
>designed to search and destroy government records.  Or a nanovirus
>designed to assassinate leaders of the regime.  This might require a
>getting a tissue sample first, then a nanovirus designed to hunt down
>a specific genetic code.

Again, wow! Isn't this a little extreme? Those conditioned nano-
technologists may be a little misguided by your lights, but is it
necessary to jump right to the "final solution" of assassination?
You seem to be justifying yourself here by labelling your opponents
as a "totalitarian regime", but that heinous term clearly does not
apply here. I looked up the definition. To be a totalitarian, you have
to by trying to control *all* aspects of human behavior. That is *not*
what I have suggested, clearly. Also, realize that conditioning goes
on today all the time, in commercials, etc. Did you know that many
department stores embed subliminal messages in their Muzak to try
to prevent shoplifting? Do these businessmen deserve assassination?

>3) Leave (the planet, that is)
>If the leaders of the regime have a sufficiently elightened concept of
>their self-interest, they may take the "population:freedom inverse
>ratio" to heart, build some spacecraft, give them to the pro-freedom
>"troublemakers", and say "Go!  Do whatever you want, but leave us
>alone!"

>I think most of the pro-freedom people would find this an acceptable
>compromise.  (As an aside, ever notice how many of the members of the
>pro-space movement are libertarians?)

>Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
>yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

I don't think option 3 is very workable, either. The conditioned
nanotechnologists can't let the unconditioned techs go free, simply
because they, or their descendants, might return some day, and they
would be like the fox in the henhouse. (Unless of course, the
combination of no laws and nanotechnology did the "exiles" in
before they got back, but we can't count on that :-) A workable
alternative would be to establish a "Botany Bay", that is, a prison
planet, where the rogue nanotechnologists (see, I can use loaded
terms too :-) would be free to do whatever they want, as long as
they didn't try to leave. But this is clearly not the adventure
you have in mind.

The main reason your option 3 doesn't work is because nanotechnology
will make space travel too easy.

Of your 3 alternatives, only option 2 appears to be workable, and I
think that option, assassination, looks pretty drastic.

Stepping back a bit from our discourse, (after all this is about a
science that doesn't exist yet), I notice some uncanny parallels. It's
already been observed by myself and others that nanotechnology will
bring on Clark's Law with a vengeance, and will look like magic to
the uninitiated.  Now it seems likely that the nanotech "wizards"
will split into two opposing camps, based on their philosophical
differences.  One side are the white wizards, who will bind themselves
irrevocably to Law (with a capital L :-) for the good of all mankind.
On the other side are the black wizards, who acknowledge no Law
over themselves, and embrace Chaos for the sake of the unfettered
freedom and power it brings. Hmmm.... seems to me I may have read
a fantasy novel or two with this plot in it....:-)

Ed Strong {princeton,attmail}!nanotech!ems