[sci.nanotech] A Book

arshad@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Arshad Mahmood) (08/24/89)

I was recently told by a friend of a new book entitled "Artificial Life", it
was based on the proceedings of a conference somewhere in USA.

Does anybody know the detials, and can they reccomend it or rubbish it ?

Thanks

hiebeler@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Dave Hiebeler) (08/25/89)

In article <Aug.23.17.22.40.1989.21363@athos.rutgers.edu> arshad@lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Arshad Mahmood) writes:

> I was recently told by a friend of a new book entitled "Artificial Life", it
> was based on the proceedings of a conference somewhere in USA.
>
> Does anybody know the detials, and can they reccomend it or rubbish it ?

  Here's the info on the book:

 Artificial Life: The Proceedings of an Interdisciplinary Workshop on
 the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems
  Held September, 1987 in Los Alamos, New Mexico
  Christopher G. Langton, editor
  Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1989
  ISBN: 0-201-09346-4   0-201-09356-1 (pbk.)

The book is a collection of articles by various people, on different
approaches to the subject.  It includes an excellent introductory
article by Chris Langton, which discusses some of the history which
led up ot ALife, and some of the better-known models, such as
self-reproduction in cellular automata, and Lindenmayer systems; his
article also clarifies the philosophy of the science very well.
I think the proceedings are interesting and worthwhile.  The paperback
is not very expensive, either.  I picked mine up at a college
bookstore for under $19, not bad for a 650-page proceedings.
The proceedings was given a very good review in the July 15 "New
Scientist".

I didn't attend the first workshop, but I am working for the summer at
the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos, with Chris.  Mostly
I've been working on cellular automata, but my wife and I are getting
into the field of ALife, and will be working on various related things
during the fall.

A second Artificial Life workshop is going to be held February 5-9,
1990 in Santa Fe, NM.  An announcement was posted a couple of weeks
ago to news.announce.conferences, sci.bio, sci.physics, and various
other newsgroups.  If you are interested but can't find the article at
your site, send me an e-mail note and I can forward a copy to you.

--
Dave Hiebeler                       hiebeler@cardinal.lanl.gov
Center for Nonlinear Studies        hiebeler@cs.rpi.edu