[sci.nanotech] Nanotechnology reference

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (10/06/89)

< BACK TO THE FUTURE PART 2:  It's about time.  No hoverboarding! >

The nanotechnology described in "Evolution" (the third season premier
of STAR TREK:  THE NEXT GENERATION is, um, real speculative science.
The most accessible source for laypersons is Eric Drexler's ENGINES OF
CREATION.  (There's a whole lot of other stuff in there about going
beyond the current paradigm, such as science courts.  Personally, I
stopped or skimmed when it got boring, and still got a lot out of it.)
Yes, they're so named because they work on the nanometer (billionths of
a meter) level.  Yes, they use "mechanical memories".  (Anybody play
with a Digilog-1?  Think of a tiny, sturdier version, with error
correction, and *lots* of little rods.)

There's also a Netnews group "sci.nanotech" on the subject.  Let's be
nice folks and keep the STAR TREK-specific stuff out of there, please?
(Violators will be forced to read alt.flame for a month.-)  That means
making sure that follow-ups to this message stay in rec.arts.startrek,
as I've tried to ensure with the appropriate header line magic.  (You
guys in the nanotech group:  the STAR TREK story referred to
nanomachines as "nannites".  Is that from Drexler's vocabulary, or have
Rodenberry and Company coined a new word?  Send e-mail, I'll
summarize.)

Yes, "nannites" (or "nanites", but that doesn't look like it's spelled
right) could be be programmed to evolve.  No, if Wesley did what he
said he did, they wouldn't become intelligent.  (Heinlein's THE MOON IS
A HARSH MISTRESS handled this brilliantly, but he was wrong, and too
many SF writers have accepted that novel and TRUE NAMES as their major
computer science textbooks.-)  Yes, they could be intelligent in some
sense, individually or collectively.  Yes, they could easily fix the
computer's memory that fast.  No, I don't think they could have taken
over another machine so quickly (and it was a dumb way to give them a
voice, IMHO).

The major problem with nanotechnology and science fiction, as my friend
Dale Skran has pointed out, is that the characters are no longer human.
They could fix broken bones with a pill, fly to the moon without a
spaceship (or even a spacesuit), and in general act in ways literally
beyond our imagination.  Read Drexler's book, and we'll talk.

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

[I for one have never heard or read "nannites".  Leafing through
 EOC, one sees the term "assembler" used fairly consistently.
 I didn't the episode referred to.  Would anyone care to summarize?
 --JoSH]

peb@tma1.eng.sun.com (Paul Baclaski) (10/11/89)

> [I for one have never heard or read "nannites".  Leafing through
>  EOC, one sees the term "assembler" used fairly consistently.
>  I didn't the episode referred to.  Would anyone care to summarize?
>  --JoSH]

This episode of STTNG indeed incorporated the idea of nanotechnology
in the form of tiny robots.  Wesley was doing a science project in
which he took these off the shelf nanites, as he called them, and
modified them to talk to each other to share knowledge.  They
escaped and apparently could reproduce since they ended up invading
the ship computer in hordes.  This caused the computer to malfunction
in certain ways and simultaneously not recognize that it was
malfunctioning.  This jepordized the ship to some degree and also
caused a problem in that it could make the launch of a probe into
a neutron star miss its launch window (which occured once every 196
years).

They had some graphics that were supposed to represent the nanites--
it looked like a color paint program with some pixel globs moving
around leaving trails behind them.  It got a little hokey when Wesley
used tweasers to pick up the nanites!  It also looked like he was
using a small optical microscope to look at them.  I supposed we could
assume that the nanites were much bigger than the ones Drexler envisions.

Overall, for such an interesting topic, the show was not that exciting:
perhaps that is good, since they did not do a gray goo show, which
might alarm some people.  (It might be a good thing that they did not
use exact terms from EoC for the same reason.)

Paul E. Baclaski
Sun Microsystems
peb@sun.com

landman@sun.com (Howard A. Landman x61391) (10/11/89)

In article <Oct.5.20.10.23.1989.23719@athos.rutgers.edu> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>The nanotechnology described in "Evolution" (the third season premier
>of STAR TREK:  THE NEXT GENERATION is, um, real speculative science.

>[I for one have never heard or read "nannites".  Leafing through
> EOC, one sees the term "assembler" used fairly consistently.
> I didn't the episode referred to.  Would anyone care to summarize?
> --JoSH]

Approximately:

Ensign Wesley Crusher falls asleep while pulling an all-nighter working on
his lab assignment for nanotechnology class.  The project involves getting
the nanites to communicate and cooperate (genetic algorithms?).  Two of
them escape (hasn't the federation thought of containment facilities yet?).
They begin eating the Enterprise main computer memory for raw materials.
Various utterly unbelievable computer malfunctions ensue (I guess the Fed
*still* haven't figured out fault-tolerant computing).  The nanites use the
raw materials to reproduce.  Their colony develops an intelligence.  A physicist
kills part of the colony and the rest of the nanites go for revenge.  Picard
is about to order radiation sterilization of the memory cores whan Data is
able to make contact with the nanites.  Eventually they agree to fix the memory
if they get a planet to themselves.

All in all, not too awful.  The general level of scientific content in the
ST:TNG scripts has been far higher than in the original ST.  This episode is
one example; another episode they discussed modifying the transporter biofilter
to try to cure Dr. Pulaski of a nasty virus-like condition.  Another episode
featured the Borg, who are cyborgs, and whose ships can heal themselves
(although they look like one of those cubes that comes out of an automobile
compacter).

Of course, it's not Nova or The Day The Universe Changed; but it's not
Space:1999 either ...

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com

al@questar.questar.mn.org (Al Viall) (11/07/89)

In article <Oct.10.20.40.23.1989.6500@athos.rutgers.edu>, peb@tma1.eng.sun.com (Paul Baclaski) writes:
>  [ Text Deleted ]
> it looked like a color paint program with some pixel globs moving
> around leaving trails behind them.  It got a little hokey when Wesley
> used tweasers to pick up the nanites!  It also looked like he was
> using a small optical microscope to look at them.  I supposed we could
> assume that the nanites were much bigger than the ones Drexler envisions.

Wesley did NOT pick up the nannites using the tweasers. What he picked up was
a sample of computer chips from one container and dropped it into the container
containing the nannites which he had captured. The small container was actually
a sort of mousetrap for nannites, which the process of how it works escapes
me, but I would guess a little bait and some sort of field to prevent
escape once inside.
The reason for the computer chip was to show the reaction between the nannites
with the chip which was, as they put it, "candy to them".
- Al -

--
| INTERNET: al@questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG      | "What we need, is someone like   |
|     UUCP: ..!amdahl!tcnet!questar!al     | Gorby in charge of our National  |