[sci.nanotech] Simulations of Nanotech Tools

raburns@sun.com (Randy Burns) (11/07/89)

I finally got around to reading The Engines of Creation
the other day (my first copy that I got a couple years ago
got lost when I was only 1/4 through it).  I have couple of
questions:

  1) who is the most thoughtful critic of the feasibility of
     nanotech? (And don't tell me J. Rifkin!) Have the potential
     problems been explored by anyone with some substantial
     engineering experience and put together in a cogent fashion?

  2) I got the distinct impression that Drexler was expecting some
     substantial breakthroughs in artificial intelligence. Having
     worked at Teknowledge, I'm now rather skeptical of this. How
     important would AI really be to make nanotech work?

  3) What are the likely intermediate steps towards the construction
     of an assembler? I somehow have trouble imagining an existing
     government or corporation funding the creation of an assembler
     since the consequences are so unpredictable- who might be
     organized  to put a few million dollars into this? (The best I
     can think of us maybe one the the more recent microcomputer
     software millionaires doing it as  a way to be remembered).

  4) What kind of literature has been written on the social consequences
     of nanotechnology?

Thanks!

[1. A week ago the first real conference on nanotechnology was held.
    There was a panel discussion on just this question.  Everybody there
    seemed to see a pretty clear path to nanotechnology.

 2. AI is not terribly important, though we will need an easily foreseeable
    advancement in CAD/CAM and simulation capabilities.  No AI papers,
    for example, were given at the conference.

 3. Proto-assemblers, as envisioned by Drexler, would be something like
    a custom (chemically synthesized) molecule used as a tip on the
    end of an STM probe, used to do site-by-site catalysis of chemical
    reactions on a workpiece molecule.

 4. There were three talks and a panel discussion on the subject at
    the conference.  I'll be posting summaries and my own comments
    on the whole thing soon.

 --JoSH]

landman@hanami.eng.sun.com (Howard A. Landman x61391) (11/08/89)

In article <Nov.6.18.08.19.1989.4224@athos.rutgers.edu> raburns@sun.com (Randy Burns) writes:
>  2) I got the distinct impression that Drexler was expecting some
>     substantial breakthroughs in artificial intelligence. Having
>     worked at Teknowledge, I'm now rather skeptical of this. How
>     important would AI really be to make nanotech work?

JoSH responds:
> 2. AI is not terribly important, though we will need an easily foreseeable
>    advancement in CAD/CAM and simulation capabilities.  No AI papers,
>    for example, were given at the conference.

As a CAD professional and an attendee at the conference, I can perhaps shed
some light on this point.

I, too, found distressing the way EoC cavalierly glossed over CAD and DA
problems for nanotech with the argument that super-AI would solve all those
problems for us.  Very little industrial-strength CAD is done using AI-based
tools today, and the fraction of AI in a field like that tends to *decrease*
as the field matures.  For example, computer Chess used to be an AI topic but
is now merely an engineering topic, a fact which seems to give many AI people
heartburn.  All the programs in the latest international computer Chess
championship were written in C, and many of them had special-purpose hardware.

At first it might seem that existing tools for system and logic-level design
would still be adequate for nanotech, at least some portions of it like
molecular electronic computers.  It's rather obvious that the lower levels
need to be completely different.  The amount of work to create the nanotech
equivalent of a silicon compiler is immense.

However, I've done some experiments which indicate that perhaps even the
higher levels of present-day tools are inadequate.  For example, I created
a dummy technology in which Fredkin gates were cheap and fast but normal
logic gates (nand, nor, invert) were expensive and slow.  Using one of the
best commercial logic synthesis tools, I tried to synthesize a circuit using
this technology.  It made no use whatsoever of the Fredkin gates, and instead
produced a netlist consisting entirely of ordinary gates.  This indicates to me
that substantial theoretical work still needs to be done in the area of logic
synthesis for conservative/reversible logic, before we can design large systems
using such technologies.  I know of no one (besides myself) who is even aware
of this problem, let alone working on it.  And this is just one *small* area
of CAD for nanotech.

In electronics, CAD tools tend to lag about one generation behind the hardware.
That is, today's tools are perfect for the system you built a couple years ago,
but they never quite handle what you need for *today's* design.  Also, support
for mainstream technologies is always better than that for fringe technologies.
Even today, design tools for ECL and GaAs are more limited than those for CMOS.
In the early days of nanotech, I do not expect CAD to be at all well developed.
Only after nanotech surpasses existing technologies in volume will there be
sufficient incentive for the tools to become powerful, stable, elegant, and
well-integrated.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman%hanami@eng.sun.com

honavar@goat.cs.wisc.edu (Vasant Honavar) (11/10/89)

In article <Nov.7.16.24.43.1989.22107@athos.rutgers.edu> landman@hanami.eng.sun.com (Howard A. Landman x61391) writes:

>I, too, found distressing the way EoC cavalierly glossed over CAD and DA
>problems for nanotech with the argument that super-AI would solve all those
>problems for us.  Very little industrial-strength CAD is done using AI-based
>tools today, and the fraction of AI in a field like that tends to *decrease*
>as the field matures.

	It is perhaps more accurate to say that as the field matures,
	what used to be called "AI" once tends integrated into
	standard computer programming practice. This has happened with
	expert systems, for example.

>In electronics, CAD tools tend to lag about one generation behind the hardware.
>That is, today's tools are perfect for the system you built a couple years ago,
>but they never quite handle what you need for *today's* design.

	All the more reason to exploit AI - especially learning programs
	that are designed to be trained on a variety of problem domains.
	Such programs can potentially be taught to handle current technology,
	just as a skilled engineer adapts himself to new technological
	or scientific developments.

	________________________
	Vasant Honavar
	Computer Sciences Dept.
	University of Wisconsin
	honavar@cs.wisc.edu

brianm@cat50.cs.wisc.edu (Brian Miller) (11/10/89)

In article <Nov.7.16.24.43.1989.22107@athos.rutgers.edu> landman@hanami.eng.sun.com (Howard A. Landman x61391) writes:
>Very little industrial-strength CAD is done using AI-based
>tools today,

Today's CAD technology is relatively embrionic.  More adolescent CAD technology
will probably integrate approaches to problems provided by *many* facets of
comp sci, engineering, and information theory.  This includes AI.  When one
passes judgement on CAD's employment of AI techniques, he must realize that
the phenomenon he is observing has been hastily implemented.

>...and the fraction of AI in a field like that tends to *decrease*
>as the field matures.

Doubt it, seriously.  As a tool, AI is ideally suited for tackling design
problems.

>For example, computer Chess used to be an AI topic but
>is now merely an engineering topic,

It is true that the fastest and best chess mahines are devoloped from the
hardware up, but hardware design is itself a fruitful playingfield for AI.
Let's keep _that_ a secret!   :{)

>All the programs in the latest international computer Chess
>championship were written in C,

The language used does not always limit the approach to a problem.
AI can be implemented in C if the software engineer feels most comfortable
with C.  Any language would do.  Afterall, AI is an abstract method, a partial
one with respect to solving a solution, and it may be harnessed with any
language.  C is favored for its structure, flexibility, and proximity to
the host system.  It's selection is purely an implementation decision.

>In electronics, CAD tools tend to lag about one generation behind the hardware.
>That is, today's tools are perfect for the system you built a couple years ago,
>but they never quite handle what you need for *today's* design.  Also, support
>for mainstream technologies is always better than that for fringe technologies.
>Even today, design tools for ECL and GaAs are more limited than those for CMOS.

Yeah, there's a terrible lag between the development of technology and the
creation of CAD tools to harness it.  It's like being hungry and realizing
that you have to make it to the 'frige before you can get down to business.  :)

landman@hanami.eng.sun.com (Howard A. Landman x61391) (11/21/89)

In article <Nov.9.18.10.52.1989.5434@athos.rutgers.edu> honavar@goat.cs.wisc.edu (Vasant Honavar) writes:
>	It is perhaps more accurate to say that as the field matures,
>	what used to be called "AI" once tends integrated into
>	standard computer programming practice. This has happened with
>	expert systems, for example.

I recognize that this happens, but that's not what I'm not talking about.
Generic techniques such as AI are best when you don't really understand
the problem you're trying to solve.  Once you understand it well, you
typically spend most of your execution time in a tight loop executing
a well defined algorithm.  This is true of simulation, timing analysis,
finite-element analysis, geometric rule checking, etc., etc.
Applying AI to these problems makes about as much sense as applying AI
to computational fluid dynamics or interactive 3-D graphics; it's like
using a coping saw to rip plywood.

Where AI may be able to help is in the development of new algorithms,
and in high-level design exploration.  But I really doubt that the bulk
of actual CAD/DA computation will be spent on "AI" programs.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman%hanami@eng.sun.com