[sci.nanotech] Biological grey goo

cphoenix@csli.stanford.edu (Chris Phoenix) (12/05/89)

This may not belong strictly speaking in sci.nanotech, but I think it
points out the potential danger of inventing before we think.
I recently read a newspaper article about possible future-applications-of-
science.  One of these applications was creating a bacterium, derived from
the one we have in our mouths, that doesn't produce acid.  The author, at
least, seriously believed that such a beast might prevent all tooth decay,
claiming one application of the bacterium might fix us for life, and might
even protect future generations.
This sounds nice.
Now think about it:  We're talking about designing a new life form.  No
quibbles so far... A life form designed to compete successfully with one
that secretes acid presumably to wipe out competitors.  OK... A life form
that will be able to compete with all others that try to move in on this
acid-free environment.  This widely-varying environment.  This real-life
environment.  Sounds pretty potent... A life form that is designed to be
transmissible from one human to another.  Worse... And furthermore, a life
form that, unlike what is claimed to be a safety feature of most laboratory
bacteria, will be useless if it *can't* survive outside the lab!  And
worst of all, a life form that, unlike nanomachines, can and does mutate!

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it looks to me like this life form,
unless designed *very* carefully, will be potentially disastrous.  There may
be no way to make it safe.  And yet, someone with at least enough scientific
knowledge to write a science column was seriously proposing building it, and
*letting it loose on purpose*!
JoSH, you said a while back that it scared you when someone proposed building
a uranium-destroying gray goo.  I hope this makes all of you think about
how easy it is to let our scientific imaginations run away with us.  I don't
intend this to be a polemic against scientific advance, but a warning to
advance carefully, when you know what this toy you're building will actually
do when it's built.
--
Chris Phoenix              | A harp is a nude piano.
cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU | "More input!  More input!"

[Science writers, especially science writers for popular publications,
 have pressures put on them to be as gee-whiz-the-wonderful-world-of-
 tomorrow as possible.  I doubt that the writer in question considered
 the points you bring up when he wrote the article.
 I would imagine that the non-acidic mouth bacterium would be a very
 difficult project, for the very reason you mention--the specification
 is basically "push a species out of its niche using one whose only
 difference is that it lacks a potent weapon."
 When it came down to planning such a project seriously, I'm sure such
 second thoughts would be entertained very quickly.
 --JoSH]

ems%nanotech@princeton.edu (12/06/89)

>Chris Phoenix writes:
>JoSH, you said a while back that it scared you when someone proposed building
>a uranium-destroying gray goo.  I hope this makes all of you think about
>how easy it is to let our scientific imaginations run away with us.  I don't
>intend this to be a polemic against scientific advance, but a warning to
>advance carefully, when you know what this toy you're building will actually
>do when it's built.

Yes, I did suggest an nuclear weapon eating goo. For good
reasons, I think. I admit I didn't expect the extreme reaction
from people who just didn't want those nice old bombs to go away!
Later on I suggested the synthethic conscience, another, perhaps cleaner,
means of avoiding technological self destruction as a species, especially
when you realize that it only needs to be applied to those in positions
of power.

Gorbachev is doing a really great job these days, isn't he? :-)

Ed Strong
ems@princeton.edu

[Are we to infer that you have perfected you A.C. and infected Gorby?
 --JoSH]

jwatts@hpihoah.hp.com (Jon Watts) (12/08/89)

The proposal of a genetically engineered bacteria which displaces the tooth
decay causing bacteria in the mouth is amasingly similar to an experiment
which has ALREADY been performed.  The mouth contains many kinds of bacteria
only a few of which secrete acid.  Some researcher isolated a strain which
does not excrete acid, applied (to themselves) a treatment which kills all
the bacteria in the mouth, then deliberately re-infected themselves with
the non-acid-producing bacteria.  The experiment was apparently successful,
after some period of time (several months as I recall) they tested
themselves and found the non-acid-producing bacteria to be the predominent
strain.

Jon Watts