[sci.nanotech] On the assault-machine drug.

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (04/10/90)

[Cross-posted from another group]

In article <E__l?55@cs.psu.edu>, bralick@bree.endor.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) writes:
> I stated clearly that the substance was hypothetical. ...

>> Hence, the reasonable way to treat such a drug-program is as
>> the deployment of any other weapon.  Being under the influence
>> of such a drug-program in the presence would constitute assault,
>> just as does drawing a knife on a person, even if one does not
>> use it.  (If the knife or the drug-program actually do their job,
>> one is also guilty of battery or more.)

> Thus (I assume) you too support legalization of _P_ or perhaps I should
> say that you are opposed to its prohibition.
>
> Well, now we can turn to some perplexing issues.  This substance must
> be sold to be consumed.  How do those who are opposed to the prohibiton
> of drugs recommend that they be sold? ...

I have no doubt that in coming centuries the ability to reprogram
the brain -- and hence, the personality, the memory, and perhaps
even fine-tuning the choices one makes -- will become a viable
technology.  It is only from this technology that the dread
substance _P_ can derive.

Once one recognizes the technology behind Mr Bralick's example,
it also becomes clear that his substance _P_ is unlikely to be
sold separately as a substance.  What people will buy are kits
for "neural reprogramming".  Much like a knife, with which one
can both gut a fish and kill a person, such a kit is also a
general purpose tool, allowing the user to change the user's
persona in a wide variety of ways.  (One reason each user will
buy a kit rather than a tailored product is that -- at least
initially -- such program-drugs will have to be tailored to
individual users.)

Most people will use these kits to suppress neuroses, depression,
and compulsive behavior; increase abilities; and (of course) to
provide the perfect high.  Some criminally inclined people will
use these kits to increase their ability to do wrong.

Unfortunately, it is likely that any tool that allows one to
repress compulsion or a bad temper will also allow one to magnify
these things.  So the question is NOT how would we sell
substance _P_, but how would we sell the technology to perform
neural reprogramming.

Mr Bralick might complain that this violates his hypothetical
example.  In response, I can only say that I have little interest
in discussing how the legal system should take into account
magical substances.  If we are going to discuss something that
guarantees violent behavior in all of its users, then in my
opinion we should do so in a framework that has some possible
relation to ourselves and our future, not just in some alternate
fantasy world where people and drugs behave very differently from
the way they do here.

As I said, the technology for neural reprogramming is coming, if
not in the next few decades, then certainly in the next few
centuries.  The legal issues it will foment are interesting.  But
the only way to discuss them with any rationality is to look at
the technology as a whole, not merely at one small example of it.
Substance _P_ is less dangerous than a program-drug that
creates sociopaths, because someone who is guaranteed to behave
violently is quickly caught, while someone who does so
selectively can often continue wreaking havoc for years.  The
technology is the same in both cases.  But we do not jail someone
for being a sociopath.  Should we jail someone for turning himself
into a sociopath?  So allow me to raise the general question.

How should the legal system deal with a technology that allows
people to reprogram their neural responses, ie, their
personality, their abilities, their compulsions, their memories,
and their emotions?

A related question involves how a legal system should make use of
such technology.  Removing the ability to commit violence from a
murderer seems an eminently reasonable part of the criminal
justice system.  What about people who have the tendencies that
can lead to murder, but who have not acted on them yet?  Should
these people be mandatorily re-programmed?  All of a sudden, what
seems the perfect treatment for crime is also revealed as the
perfect tool of an Orwellian regime.  How do we prevent the state
from abusing a technology which is so well tailored to its
purposes?

The future is scary, but it is coming whether we like it or not,
and often the things that are the most fearsome also hold the
most promise for good.

Russell