[sci.chem] Lanolin, What's It Good For ???

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/30/89)

How is lanolin extracted from wool, with solvents?  What's it good for?
Isn't it supposed to be good for hands or hair or something?  Is it toxic
in any way (disregarding the obvious prion hazard :-)?

My question is raised by an ad for squeeze tubes filled with pure anhydrous
lanolin in NASA TECH BRIEFS.  A two-ounce tube costs $4.25.  The ad only
mentions uses as a lubricant or mold release agent.

The source is:

Flexbar Machine Corp.
Central Islip, NY

In article <25491@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> How is lanolin extracted from wool, with solvents?

	Lanolin is extracted from wool using solvents which are recycled in
a closed system.  While raw lanolin contains at least 25% water, it is
comonnly distributed as anhydrous lanolin.  Lanolin has the properties of a
multi-component wax.  Lanolin has two major groups of constituents:
(1) esters of high molecular weight alcohols, most commonly cholesterol;
and (2) at least two dozen fatty acids such as valeric, palmitic, lanoceric,
lanopalmitic, etc.

> What's it good for?

	Lanolin is used as a formulation base for ointments, and in various
soap and cosmetic products for its emollient effects.

> Isn't it supposed to be good for hands or hair or something?

	Lanolin has emollient properties.

> Is it toxic in any way (disregarding the obvious prion hazard :-)?

	Lanolin is relatively non-toxic, but it is icky.  I mean, it is
*REALLY* ICKY!  In fact, the person who coined the word "icky" probably
did so after getting some anhydrous lanolin on their hands.  I will never
forget the first time I got a quantity of anhydrous lanolin on my hands -
despite repeated washings, I thought it would never come off and that my
hands would exude grease and smell like a sheep for the rest of my life. :-)

> My question is raised by an ad for squeeze tubes filled with pure anhydrous
> lanolin in NASA TECH BRIEFS.  A two-ounce tube costs $4.25.  The ad only
> mentions uses as a lubricant or mold release agent.

	Personally, I would not recommend lanolin for any critical lubricant
or release agent use.  The composition of lanolin is too indefinite to
guarantee various repeatable properties (like solubilty, viscosity, m.p.,
etc.) which are pertinent to such applications.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"