[sci.chem] Aloe, Aloe...

In article <2144@ac.dal.ca>, bthill@ac.dal.ca writes:
> I am curious about the nature of the chemical in Aloe plants that has healing
> qualities.  I'd appreciate any information posted here or mailed to me.

	The active ingredients in aloe are several pentosides which are
readily hydrolyzed (aided by alkalies) to form anthraquinone glucosides.
Two examples are aloin and emodin (a hydroxy methylanthraquinone).

	Aloe and its derivatives are powerful cathartics that will turn
circles around Ex-Lax any day! :-)

	I am not aware of any "healing" properties of aloe, other than
to promote defecation.  I have seen soap and cosmetic products which
allege to contain aloe, and I know of *NO* proven benefit to be derived
from the inclusion of aloe or its derivatives in any such product!

	Since the "general public" does not really know what aloe can or
cannot do, and since the ingredient name aloe seems "exotic", it is a
marketing ploy which sells soap and cosmetic products.  Just as useless
as "lemon" in dishwashing detergents...

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (11/25/90)

-----

In article <4188@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> I am not aware of any "healing" properties of aloe, other than
> to promote defecation. ...

The sap in aloe leaves is a folk remedy for burns.  It quickly
soaks into the damaged flesh, cools, and relieves the pain.
(From a subjective viewpoint, it works great!)  Whether it is
just because it is an aqueous solution of the right consistency,
or because of other active ingredients, I know not.

Russell

msellers@mentor.com (Mike Sellers) (11/25/90)

In article <4188@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <2144@ac.dal.ca>, bthill@ac.dal.ca writes:
>> I am curious about the nature of the chemical in Aloe plants that has healing
>> qualities.  I'd appreciate any information posted here or mailed to me.
>
>   [...]
>	I am not aware of any "healing" properties of aloe, other than
>to promote defecation.  I have seen soap and cosmetic products which
>allege to contain aloe, and I know of *NO* proven benefit to be derived
>from the inclusion of aloe or its derivatives in any such product!
>
>	Since the "general public" does not really know what aloe can or
>cannot do, and since the ingredient name aloe seems "exotic", it is a
>marketing ploy which sells soap and cosmetic products.  Just as useless
>as "lemon" in dishwashing detergents...
>
>Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"

I think you've just set yourself up for a flood of anecdotes relating the
Truly Wondrous and Unique Qualities of our friend, Aloe.  :-)

Semi-seriously, it does seem to have some moisturizing properties, which
can help with burns.  Yes, this is anecdotal (mea saurus), but I got my
first really bad sunburns in the Philippines (like 2" long blisters on the
tops of my ears when I got a military haircut as part of being an extra
in "Apocalypse Now" -- but that's a different story :-) ), and aloe was
quite effective in easing the pain, moisturizing the burned areas in the
short term, and apparently reducing peeling in the long term.  If I have a
choice I will use aloe or an aloe-derivative on sunburns, as in my
non-controlled experience it seems to soothe them better than other
available products.  I don't know about all the products that claim to
contain aloe (I suspect the "exotic" nature is a marketing gimmick as you
suggest), but aloe does have more than just to promote defecation (!).

Come to think of it, I'd imagine _real_ lemon juice would aid in washing
dishes as the acid might tend to break up heavy oils -- the same reason
people squeeze it on their fish!  Lemon scent might be another story, except
that even that probably has some value for those people who cannot abide
the smell/taste of detergent in the back of their throat.

--
Mike Sellers     msellers@mentor.com     Mentor Graphics Corp.

"I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my
body.  Then I realized who was telling me this." -- Emo Phillips

In article <15037@cs.utexas.edu>, turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
> >> I am curious about the nature of the chemical in Aloe plants
> >> that has healing qualities.
>
> In article <4188@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> > I am not aware of any "healing" properties of aloe, other than
> > to promote defecation. ...
>
> The sap in aloe leaves is a folk remedy for burns.

	I am fully aware that I may be stepping on sacred ground by speaking
out against a folk remedy... :-)

	There are serious questions about the efficacy of aloe in any
application other than as a cathartic.

	Aloe is an *irritant*.  It has an incredibly bitter and pungent
taste.  Aloe was formerly used in topical preparations intended to break
a child of thumb sucking by imparting a bitter taste to the skin.  When
formerly used as a cathartic, aloe was contraindicated in the presence
of hemorrhoids due to its irritating effect upon broken skin and mucous
membranes.

	Aloe was used as a topical salve during the nineteenth century.
It was eventually discovered that when aloe was applied to open wounds,
it was absorbed by the body and its cathartic actions took effect.  As
a result, the use of aloe as a salve greatly diminished.  Nineteenth
century patients with serious wounds had enough trouble without having
to make frequent trips to the commode. :-)

> It quickly
> soaks into the damaged flesh, cools, and relieves the pain.
> (From a subjective viewpoint, it works great!)  Whether it is
> just because it is an aqueous solution of the right consistency,
> or because of other active ingredients, I know not.

	I am aware of one product on the market containing aloe and
intended as a minor burn ointment.  It is called "Dermaide Aloe Cream"
and manufactured by Dermaide Research Corp. (I believe it is their
only product, but I am not certain).

	While Dermaide claims that aloe is the "active" ingredient, the
"inactive" ingredients are rather interesting, to wit: mineral oil,
stearic acid, petrolatum, cetyl alcohol, glycerin, triethanolamine,
propylparaben, methylparaben and imidazolidinyl urea.

	All of the "minor burn ointment" effects can be explained *solely*
by the "inactive" ingredients!  In fact, the inactive ingredients (sans aloe)
are almost the same formulation used in the minor burn and wound cream
marketed by Vaseline in a plastic tube.  Hmmm...  Consider that:

1.	The soothing effects on mild burns result from the mineral oil,
	petrolatum (i.e., the primary constituent of Vaseline), glycerine
	and cetyl alcohol.

2.	The antiseptic effects result from the methylparaben and
	propylparaben.

3.	The stearic acid and triethanolamine combine to form a mild soap
	which facilitates removal of dead skin, dried secretions and foreign
	matter.

4.	The imidazolidinyl urea repells any insects. :-)

	If Dermaide Aloe Cream works for you, then by all means buy it.
I am merely trying to point out that from a scientific standpoint the
efficacy of the aloe should be questioned in this application.

	An important point to realize is that many consumer products
containing "special" ingredients (like aloe, lanolin, etc.) contain only
a *minimum* amount necessary to satisfy FDA and FTC labeling requirements,
with such minimum amount being unlikely to exhibit any significant effect.
Unless, of course, one believes in the principles of homeopathy which
hold that "less is best". :-)

	Consider a product containing both aloe and lanolin, such as
Jergens "Aloe & Lanolin Skin Conditioning Bar" soap.  Against all reason,
my wife prefers this over other bar soaps. :-)  The FDA requires that
ingredients be listed on (non-exempt) soap and cosmetic products in
order of *decreasing* percentage composition.  Therefore, the first
ingredient listed is present in the greatest quantity.  In the particular
case of this Jergens product the ingredients are:

1.	sodium tallowate		soap
2.	sodium cocoate			soap
3.	water				common formulation base
4.	stearic acid			the *effective* skin conditioner
5.	sodium cocoyl isethionate	surfactant
6.	fragrance
7.	glycerin			emollient
8.	aloe vera gel
9.	lanolin
10.	sodium chloride			emulsion control agent
11.	titanium dioxide		pigment
12.	BHT [butyl hydroxytoluene]	antioxidant and antifungal agent
13.	tetrasodium EDTA		chelating agent for soap scum

	According to the above ingredient listing, there is *less* aloe
and lanolin in this soap than fragrance!  Doesn't sound like enough aloe
or lanolin to be really effective, does it?

	It is also rather interesting that on the Jergens package there
is not one word about what function the aloe and lanolin is alleged to
perform!  Rather honest and clever of Jergens, huh? :-)

	In my original article I was primarily dealing with the use of
aloe as an additive to soap and cosmetic products.  The efficacy of aloe
in burn preparations notwithstanding, I know of *NO* possible benefit
for the inclusion of aloe in any soap or cosmetic preparation.  With
the possible exception, of course, of allowing a manufacturer to appeal
to gullible consumers and charge more $$ for the product. :-)

	I am not trying to discourage any reader from buying soap and
cosmetic products containing aloe, or from cutting up an aloe plant
leaf for a home remedy.  If it makes you happy or feel good, then by
all means do it.  I am just trying to provide a little information
for some readers to use in making an informed decision.

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (11/27/90)

-----

In article <4198@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> I am aware of one product on the market containing aloe and
> intended as a minor burn ointment. ... All of the "minor burn
> ointment" effects can be explained *solely* by the "inactive"
> ingredients! ...

Perhaps I misled Mr Lippman by talking about active ingredients
in aloe sap.  In retrospect, "active factor" would have been a
more precise phrase.  In any case, it was fresh sap about which I
wrote, straight from the cut leaves, not a commercially prepared
ointment.

I do not mean to draw any great conclusions from personal and
anecdotal experience, but if it is to be dismissed, let it be for
the subjectivity of evaluation, lack of any controls, etc; but
not because it is confused with an entirely different kind of
experience.

Russell

sher@bbn.com (Lawrence D. Sher) (11/27/90)

>	There are serious questions about the efficacy of aloe in any
>application other than as a cathartic.
>
>	Aloe is an *irritant*.  ...
>
>	Aloe was used as a topical salve during the nineteenth century.
>It was eventually discovered ...
>	I am not trying to discourage any reader from buying soap and
>cosmetic products containing aloe, or from cutting up an aloe plant
>leaf for a home remedy....  I am just trying to provide a little information
>for some readers to use in making an informed decision.

This long, interesting treatise on aloe somehow overlooks the most
important point:
  There is no question that sap from a freshly cut aloe leaf stops the
  pain of minor burns and does nothing obvious to interfere with healing.

             .----------------------------------------------------------------
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776
	     `----------------------------------------------------------------

peted@microsoft.UUCP (Peter DUNIHO) (12/06/90)

>> In article <4188@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>> > I am not aware of any "healing" properties of aloe, other than
>> > to promote defecation. ...
>>
>> The sap in aloe leaves is a folk remedy for burns.
>
>	I am fully aware that I may be stepping on sacred ground by speaking
>out against a folk remedy... :-)
>
>	There are serious questions about the efficacy of aloe in any
>application other than as a cathartic.
>
>  [Useful information about various products deleted...]

Just to include my anecdotal contribution here...I burn easily (although
not often, since I _try_ to avoid it).  There have been a couple of times
that I accidentally got burned (oh, I'm talking about sunburn here), and
tried some of the various brands of sunburn relief lotions that have Aloe
in them.  There was actually an initial relief, but after reading the previous
message, I'm sure that was due to whatever else was in the lotion.  As it
happened, if I applied the lotion (any of the two or three brands I've tried)
more than a couple of times, I started to itch like crazy!  I came to the
conclusion that I must be allergic to one of the common ingredients, and
probably the Aloe, since I didn't seem to have the problem with other kinds
of lotions (Solarcaine, Neutrogena moisterizer (which seems to work best
for me), etc.).

Anyway, after reading Larry's article, I'm convinced it was the irritant
effect of Aloe that was getting me.  Not a fun thing to go through when
your skin already hurts, and now it wants you to scratch it!  I don't
know if I just have more sensitive skin, or what, but considering the
effect that these so-called sunburn relief lotions had on me, I'd be
surprised if they are still available, since I can't imagine them getting
much repeat business...

wipke@AIMB.ucsc.edu (W. Todd Wipke) (12/06/90)

Aloe vera has been used to promote healing for over a thousand years.
My secretary was using it so I dug into some of the literature on it.
She grew the succulant and applied it directly.  It worked for her very
well.  The term folk medicine should not be taken to mean that there is
no medicinal effect, the number of drugs developed from folk medicines is
very convincing that one should keep an open mind.  Is there any
medical study of Aloe that is statistically valid?
W. Todd Wipke                           wipke@secs.ucsc.edu
Molecular Engineering Laboratory        wipke@ucscd.ucsc.edu
Thimann Laboratories                    wipke@ucscd.bitnet
University of California                BBS 408 429-8019
Santa Cruz, CA  95064                   FAX 408 459-4716
=============   TCM-Online@TCM.UCSC.EDU  SUBSCRIBE  ===================