[sci.chem] Snake venom

chi9@quads.uchicago.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.095746.15291@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au>
paul.savage@carbon.chem.csiro.au writes:
>  [. . .] Cobra venom is "natural" but we would hardly ingest it by  choice.

	Actually, are snake venoms toxic if ingested?  I thought they had to
get into the blood or lymph (or CSF, if you're colossally unlucky) to do their
dirty work.

--

linda@frcs.UUCP (Linda Jacobson) (02/09/91)

Thus spake chi9@quads.uchicago.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio):

> 	Actually, are snake venoms toxic if ingested?  I thought they had to
> get into the blood or lymph (or CSF, if you're colossally unlucky) to do their
> dirty work.

Since they consist mainly of proteins, I imagine they would be
digested in the stomach and rendered harmless. I'm not sure I'd like
to try, though.

Linda Jacobson

   --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x --- x ---
Linda Jacobson, BVSc				      ...!m2xenix!frcs!linda
Dept of Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Science		     linda@frcs.UUCP
Onderstepoort, University of Pretoria, South Africa

"I have fought against White domination, and I have fought against Black
domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in
which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It
is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is
an ideal for which I am prepared to die." Nelson Mandela, 1964

In article <1991Feb5.040225.19268@midway.uchicago.edu> chi9@quads.uchicago.edu (Lucius Chiaraviglio) writes:
>>  [. . .] Cobra venom is "natural" but we would hardly ingest it by  choice.
>
>	Actually, are snake venoms toxic if ingested?  I thought they had to
>get into the blood or lymph (or CSF, if you're colossally unlucky) to do their
>dirty work.

	As far as I know, snake venom is not absorbed through unbroken
skin, mucous membranes or the small intestine.

	Despite my statement above, I wouldn't want to tempt fate and
ingest it "by choice" either!

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry