[comp.ai.shells] FROBS

kessler@cons.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) (04/15/89)

This is to announce the availability of a Common Lisp package, FROBS,
which is a system merging Frames and Objects into a single paradigm.
As an object system, FROBS offers multiple inheritance, methods,
generic function calling syntax, private methods, generic slots, and
something we call context-based inheritance.  From the object-oriented
standpoint, it has many of the features of CLOS (and could probably be
implemented on CLOS if we had someone to do it).

From the Frames side, FROBS provides the kinds of operations that you
would expect of a frame system, class instances, daemons, access to
slot values via inheritance, etc.  There is also a forward-chaining
rule system which permits rule-based programming using FROBS as the
data structure.  The rule system is very efficient, as each rule
translates into a piece of Lisp code, which can then be compiled by
your CL compiler.

The merging of the two paradigms is particularily nice from the
object-oriented standpoint, as an application may be developed
ignoring the frames aspects, and later add rule-based parts at the
implementors discretion.

FROBS has been in use at Utah and other sites for about 1.5 years and
was originally developed as an MS thesis by Eric Muehle, now of Martin
Marietta.  It has been tested in at least three different dialects of
Common Lisp (HPCL, Lucid, KCL -- there may be more, that is all that I
know about).  It has been used in strict object-oriented applictions,
like VLSI design, a graphical programming system, and others.  It has
also been used as an expert system shell to teach an expert systems
class, and in a couple of expert systems theses (one to determine
meshes for a finite element package and another for determining tools
and tool paths for a CAD to NC milling machine package).

FROBS is available without warranty in source code form by anonymous
FTP from cs.utah.edu under the pub directory as a compressed tar file:
frobs.tar.Z.  It includes an 80 page manual in LaTeX format.  FROBS
may be freely distributed as long as no commercial gain comes from its
use, or systems developed from it.  Commercial licenses can be
negotiated with Utah.

If you pick up a copy, please send mail to frobs-request@cs.utah.edu
reports of features, bugs, etc.

Enjoy.
B.

riemann@unido.uucp (Claus Riemann) (04/18/89)

In article <4604@uklirb.UUCP>, kessler@cons.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler)
writes:
> This is to announce the availability of a Common Lisp package, FROBS,
> which is a system merging Frames and Objects into a single paradigm.
> <text deleted>
> FROBS is available without warranty in source code form by anonymous
> FTP from cs.utah.edu under the pub directory as a compressed tar file:
> frobs.tar.Z.  It includes an 80 page manual in LaTeX format.  FROBS
> may be freely distributed as long as no commercial gain comes from its
> use, or systems developed from it.  Commercial licenses can be
> negotiated with Utah.
> <rest deleted>

Is there someone, who would be so kind to send me the source code and
the doc? There is no possibility for me to use ftp!

Thanx in advance,
                Cla

These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
the German National Research Center for Computer Science or anyone else.

Claus Riemann (F3.MMK) [riemann@gmdzi.UUCP] {...!uunet!unido!gmdzi!riemann}
German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
Box 1240
Schloss Birlinghoven
D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1
Federal Republic of Germany