[comp.ai.shells] Shells for UNIX or Mac

ahlenius@relay.eu.net (Mark Ahlenius) (05/18/90)

mbro3@aucs7.aukuni.ac.nz writes:

>Does anyone know of any E.S. shells for UNIX or the Mac that are specialized
>towards process control, or control of a factory in general (especially PD
>cheap or demo versions).

>If not, what about ANY ES shells at all that are PD, either for UNIX
>or the Mac.

Mark,
as far as a cheap (relatively) forward chaining expert systems shell,
I could recommend CLIPS which is put out by NASA, here in the states.
It is extremely OPS-like, is written in C, and all the source is
included in the purchase.  It is distributed by:

	COSMIC
	University of Georgia
	382 Eas Broad St.
	Athens, GA, 30602
	(404) 280-2233

Once you obtain a copy of it, you have rights to make additional copies
for use within your organization.

The have specific versions for the Mac, and the source can be compiled
on just about any C compiler.  I compiled it on my Mac + using Think C
and it works fine.  It is *NOT* a graphics based tool, just text
oriented.  You can however make the runtime version embeddable in
other code.

regards

	'mark

--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

steve@relay.eu.net (Steve Mitchell) (06/03/90)

A Slightly more pricy process-control oriented shell is G2, sold by
Gensym (actually a derivitive of a process control shell originally
developed by LMI, as I recall, and currently sold by the developers,
who spun off before LMI died).  Another commercial shell is Nemo, a
French shell sold in this country by Expert Knowledge Inc.  I believe
both products are avaliable under some flavors of Unix(tm)

For Nemo, contact Expert Knowledge, 1801 Avenue of the Stars, #507,
LA, CA  90067; (213)556-1628.

FOr G2, try Gensym Corp., 125 Cambridge Park Dr., Cambridge, MA  02140
(617)547-9606

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with either company, and have never
used either product.  This is just information from my product files.
Your milage will vary.
--
		-  Steve Mitchell	steve@cps.altadena.ca.us
					grian!steve@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov