[comp.ai.shells] Dempster-Shafer theory

sapong@dvinci.usask.ca (Kofi Sapong) (08/10/90)

If anyone has any information on expert system shells that use the
Dempster-Shafer approach to handle uncertainty, could he/she kindly
pass it on to me. On the other hand if you have or know of any program
that implements any form of a propagation scheme using the above
approach, I will interested in having it.

Thank you.

Kofi Sapong
University of Saskatchewan
Canada.

e-mail: sapong@skorpio.usask.ca or sapong@dvinci.usask.ca

ahlenius@motcid.uucp (Mark Ahlenius) (08/14/90)

sapong@dvinci.usask.ca (Kofi Sapong) writes:

>If anyone has any information on expert system shells that use the
>Dempster-Shafer approach to handle uncertainty, could he/she kindly
>pass it on to me. On the other hand if you have or know of any program
>that implements any form of a propagation scheme using the above
>approach, I will interested in having it.

Maybe someone else can comment on this - but I thought that the Depster-
Schafer theory was considered dead, and that all work was now being
done in fuzzy and Bayesian type theories.  Please correct me if wrong,
this is my impression from talking with others at the AAAI-90.
--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

timm@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Tim Menzies) (08/15/90)

In article <6390@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> sapong@dvinci.usask.ca (Kofi Sapong) writes:
>If anyone has any information on expert system shells that use the
>Dempster-Shafer approach to handle uncertainty, could he/she kindly
>pass it on to me. On the other hand if you have or know of any program
>that implements any form of a propagation scheme using the above
>approach, I will interested in having it.

I got real excited about D-M a while back. I chased up the original D-M article
"Evidential Reasoning in a Hierarchy" by Gordon J. and Shortliffe E.H. in
Artificial Intelligence 26 1985, 323-357. On page 350 of that article I read:

	We have previoulst suggested in fact that the details of a model
	of evidential reasoning in an AI system may be relatively
	unimportant since the careful semantic structuring of a domain's
	knowledge seems to blunt the sensitivity of the inferences to the
	values of the numbers used.

Translation: topology and not clever combination rules make for a smart system.

I've heard anecdoctal stories of people performing sensitivity analysis on
systems where they tinkered with the certaintity factor combination rules,
threseholds of belief, etc, and found that that their semantic nets were
less sensitive to the numbers than to the connections within the net. I've
seen myself a study in which someone ran a set of rules for black-jack and
deduced what stragegies to follow based on various ways of combining
numeric certainty factors. They tried four ways, including straight averaginh
of certainty factors for the conclusions. This averaging method was included
as the "straw-man". It was intended to show how poor this method was compared
to (say) the sophistication of the MYCIN-style certainty factor kludge.
Surprise, surprise, straight averaging woked just as well as anything else.

So, I'm not so interested in D-M anymore. Now I seek ways to organise the
topology of my categorical and-or nets.

--
 _--_|\  Tim Menzies (timm@runxtsa.oz)      PH: 02 9297729, 61 2 4280200 (fax)
/      \ HiSoft Expert Systems Group,       "Software should be altered to

mgv@usceast.UUCP (Marco Valtorta) (08/18/90)

In article <6441@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> ahlenius@motcid.uucp (Mark Ahlenius) writes:
>sapong@dvinci.usask.ca (Kofi Sapong) writes:
>
>>If anyone has any information on expert system shells that use the
>>Dempster-Shafer approach to handle uncertainty, could he/she kindly
>>pass it on to me. On the other hand if you have or know of any program
>>that implements any form of a propagation scheme using the above
>>approach, I will interested in having it.
>
>Maybe someone else can comment on this - but I thought that the Depster-
>Schafer theory was considered dead, and that all work was now being
>done in fuzzy and Bayesian type theories.  Please correct me if wrong,
>this is my impression from talking with others at the AAAI-90.
>--

IMHO, you are wrong.

There were papers on both the Bayesian and Dempster-Shafer approaches at
AAAI-90 and at the Uncertainty in AI (UAI) conference that took place just
before AAAI-90 at MIT.  (For example, there are at least two articles
on the Dempster-Shafer approach in the AAAI-90 proceedings, by
Halpern and  Fagin (pp.112-119) and by Hsia (pp. 120-125).)

In fact, I was somewhat surprised to see that Dempster-Shafer seems to
be alive and well.  I attended the closing hours of UAI and witnessed
an argument between Judea Pearl and Philippe Smets.  I will try to give
an impressionistic sketch of what happened.  Smets had presented
a paper on one of the examples presented by Pearl in his book, supposedly
to show the inadequacy of Dempster-Shafer.  Pearl claimed that the proposed
solution required too much designer intervention.  Smets counterargued by
working out his reply in semi-real time.  Pearl listed some pitfalls
of non-monotonic logics that, he claimed, were also pitfalls of
Dempster-Shafer.  Smets replied that there was no evidence that those
pitfalls could not be avoided in Dempster-Shafer.  He also counterattacked
when, in reply to another participant, he pointed out how fragile the
identification of implication and conditional probability is.

Smets also described an ESPRIT basic research action on uncertain
reasoning called DRUMS ("Defeasible Reasoning and Uncertainty Management
Systems"), which includes research on non-monotonic logics, possibility
theory, and (Dempster-Shafer) belief functions, but in which Bayesian
belief networks have no part.  Since ESPRIT funded a 45 person-years
project that included the development of a large Bayesian network
(MUNIN), it seems that at least one major funding organization has
not decided to abandon Dempster-Shafer.  (Incidentally, a spin-off of
the MUNIN project is the shell HUGIN, the best shell for belief network
building on the market today.)

I hope others will follow up on this topic!
Maybe someone at the funding agencies?  Is Maria Zemankowa at NSF
tuned into this newsgroup?

>===============	regards   'mark  =====================================
>Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm
>Motorola Inc.		  fax:  (708)-632-2413
>Arlington, Hts. IL, USA	 60004

Marco Valtorta			usenet: ...!ncrcae!usceast!mgv
Department of Computer Science	internet: mgv@cs.scarolina.edu
University of South Carolina	tel.: (1)(803)777-4641
Columbia, SC 29208		tlx: 805038 USC
U.S.A.				fax: (1)(803)777-3065
usenet from Europe: ...!mcvax!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!usceast!mgv

almond@alta.stat.washington.edu (Russell Almond) (10/04/90)

On shells available using Dempster-Shafer theory:

I am the developer of a package of Common Lisp functions for
implementing the belief function (Dempster-Shafer) theory.  The
program is called BELIEF and it operates in both the belief function
and ordinary (Bayesian) probability modes (in the latter case it
implements the Lauritzen and Spiegelhalter algorithm (JRSS, Series B,
1988).  It is available via anonymous ftp from hustat.harvard.edu.  It
is still currently in a test state (as a matter of fact, I have
corrected some bugs which I have not yet posted), but it works fairly
well.  The operator end of the user interface is very primitive (I'm a
statistician, not a computer scientist), but the tools available for
specifying knowledge bases are well designed.

A TeX version of the operator's manual can be gotten from the same
source.  It can also be optained from Harvard University, Departement
of Statistics (Technical Report S-128).  A detailed description of the
algorithms involved is in my disseration (Tech. Report S-130).  As I
am interested in pursing this research and having people use the
program, I will offer support over the Network.

On the applicability of the theory of belief functions:

All of the "problems" I've seen with applications of the theory of
belief functions has come down to the following scenario.  An expert
system builder, usually without formal training in statistics, tries
to apply the theory without making formal assumptions in the model.
The informal assumptions he makes are incorrect, and the result is a
paradox.

This has always been a problem in statistics, and usually the first
few weeks of any statistics course involves describing the pitfalls
that careless assumptions produce.  A statistician knows that she will
need to carefully justify each assumption she makes (especially
independence assumptions).  The situation is no different in the more
general belief function theory.

Unfortunately, sloppy thinking leads to sloppy answers.  This is true
if the model you are using is first order logic, probability, belief
function, fuzzy logic or the human brain.  In order to get a good
expert system using belief functions, one must apply the same model
critisism/refinement procedures that one would apply to any other
knowledge base.  Work is only starting on those ideas for Bayesian and
belief function approaches.

I would be happy to discuss specific examples.

	Russell Almond
	Dept. of Statistics, GN-22
	U. of Washington
	Seattle, WA  98195