[comp.ai.shells] Experience with Intellicorps ProKappa

tshaffer@ADS.COM (Tom Shaffer) (01/09/91)

I am interested in Intellicorp's new product called ProKappa and
ProKappa-PC.  Does anyone out there have any experience with this
product?  How easy is it to learn and use?  How's their customer
support?  How does it compare to KEE?  Is Intellicorp going to be
around next year?"  How does it compare to other similar products?
Any other recommendations?

				-- Tom Shaffer --
				tshaffer@ads.com

jjacobs@uunet.uu.net (Jeffrey Jacobs) (01/13/91)

I attended a demo/seminar this week.

Pro-Kappa and Kappa-PC are "two completely separate products".  (I believe
the latter was "purchased").  Effectively no compatibility.

The seminar primarily concentrated on Pro-Kappa (PK). PK is KEE redone in
C and with "seldom used features removed", e.g. truth maintentance and
worlds.  There is a new language for OO and rules called PRO-TALK.
Fundamentally
English type syntax, although they've include PROLOG list processing
syntax as an "option".

The product is embeddable and exportable, with run-times to be available
RSN for a variety of systems.  Currently SQL support for ORACLE is (almost?)
available).  It also includes an interpreted C development environment,
from Sabre-C.

PK is modular, so you can include delete subsystems as you like.  PRO-TALK
compiles to "C .o" files.

I was not terribly impressed by the user interface.  Its all based on
X-Windows and lacked a number of features available in NEXPERT, which is
what is who their main competition is.

I think they'll be around...

Jeffrey M. Jacobs
ConsArt Systems Inc, Technology & Management Consulting
P.O. Box 3016, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
voice: (213)376-3802, E-Mail: 76702.456@COMPUSERVE.COM

jjacobs@uunet.uu.net (Jeffrey Jacobs) (01/23/91)

I am also told that PRO-KAPPA will only read a DBMS, not WRITE one!!!

Jeffrey M. Jacobs
ConsArt Systems Inc, Technology & Management Consulting
P.O. Box 3016, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
voice: (213)376-3802, E-Mail: 76702.456@COMPUSERVE.COM

jyau@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Nie Jia Yau) (01/25/91)

(Sorry if the following question has been asked before.)

     How good is IntelliCorp's Kappa PC??

I read some good comments about it from "Intelligent
Software Strategies", August 1990 issue. A figure inside
the Newsletter placed Kappa PC as "excellent", better
than Level5 Object (by Information BUilders Inc.) and
Nexpert Object (by Neuron Data).

We already have a cope of KEE (version 3.05 on Apollo),
but we are thinking about purchasing a copy of Kappa PC.
Is it worthwhile doing it? Is there anybody has hands-on
expereince on running Kappa PC?

Any comments on Kappa PC, comparisions between Kappa PC
and Level5 Object or Nexpert Object will be VERY much
appreciated!!

Jerry Yau

e-mail: jyau@civilgate.ce.uiuc.edu
    or  jyau@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
   fax: (217)333-9464

ahlenius@uunet.uu.net (Mark Ahlenius) (01/31/91)

>     How good is IntelliCorp's Kappa PC??
>
>I read some good comments about it from "Intelligent
>Software Strategies", August 1990 issue. A figure inside
>the Newsletter placed Kappa PC as "excellent", better
>than Level5 Object (by Information BUilders Inc.) and
>Nexpert Object (by Neuron Data).

>We already have a cope of KEE (version 3.05 on Apollo),
>but we are thinking about purchasing a copy of Kappa PC.
(good luck on support on Apollo).

some stuff deleted..

on the subject of Intellicorp, anybody really know how the
company is doing?  Their stock is way down, the are dumping
their support for KEE on the SUN 3 platform in October,
(and SYmbolics too, I hear)
and I think they are also moving away from some other platforms
too.

Just wondering if they are going to make it.  Its hard to keep
up that expensive building they have there in Mountain View.
I know they wont be getting any more support bucks from us
anymore.

Opinions expressed here are purely my own.
--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

mdb@zero.arc.ab.ca (Mark Brinsmead) (02/07/91)

In article <7499@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de>,
motcid!ahlenius@uunet.uu.net (Mark Ahlenius) writes:

|> on the subject of Intellicorp, anybody really know how the
|> company is doing?  Their stock is way down, the are dumping
|> their support for KEE on the SUN 3 platform in October,
|> (and SYmbolics too, I hear)
|> and I think they are also moving away from some other platforms
|> too.

   Yeah, but SUN is dumping *their* support for the SUN 3 platform, too.
All machines
sold by SUN (at least in CANADA) are now SPARC-based.

   As for SYMBOLICS, well, anybody want to buy a lisp-machine?  We have a whole
boat-load (1 3670, 3 3650s, and about 6 3620s) that we would like to
dispose of.
I'm sure we can provide easy terms...

   I cannot blame *any* vendor for withdrawing support for either of the above
mentioned platforms, although I think SUN may be making an error in
dumping their
line of Motorola toys....

-- Mark Brinsmead,
   Alberta REsearch Council

hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall) (02/08/91)

[I tried sending this by email, but it bounced]

>  As for SYMBOLICS, well, anybody want to buy a lisp-machine?  We have a whole
>boat-load (1 3670, 3 3650s, and about 6 3620s) that we would like to
>dispose of.
>I'm sure we can provide easy terms...

Well, I don't entirely agree with you on the lack of future of Lisp Machines,
but you might try two sources to sell your Symbolics. They both buy (and sell)
used Symbolics as well as hardware maintenance contracts.

Larry Gashi
Crossfield Corporation
28 Charron Ave #13
Nashua, NH 03063
(603) 889-3000

Brad Porter
Great Eastern Technology
238 Broadway
Cambridge. MA 02139
(617) 547-0300
(800) 875-0025

				- Marty Hall

hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, hall%aplcen@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

deem@kodak.kodak.com (Frank Deem) (02/14/91)

MDBMS of Lafayette, Indiana publishes a shell called "Guru".  This is
an integrated tool that includes not only an expert system, but a
spread sheet, database, extensive graphics, a natural language
facility, LAN, and other communication facilities.  However, this tool
is only available for the IBM PC type environment.

Is anyone aware of such an integrated tool for the MacIntosh
environment?

|_________________|  FAX: (716) 722-6592