[comp.ai.shells] shells & Windows

wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) (02/05/91)

I'm currently looking for expert system shells that support / run under
Microsoft Windows. The only one that comes to mind immediately is Level
5 Object. Can anyone think of any others?

Thanks,
Sande

Saundra K. Wallfesh      |   "If it's stupid but works, it isn't
Dynamics Research        |    stupid."        -- Amphibious Warfare
wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil   |                       Review, Spring '89

beatlfan@portia.stanford.edu (Mark Walsh) (02/07/91)

In article <7505@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) writes:
>I'm currently looking for expert system shells that support / run under
>Microsoft Windows. The only one that comes to mind immediately is Level
>5 Object. Can anyone think of any others?

Neuron Data's Nexpert/Object

Neuron Data
156 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA  94301
(415) 321-4488

Mark

carasso@aludra.usc.edu (Roger RDC Carasso) (02/07/91)

In article <7505@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) writes:
>I'm currently looking for expert system shells that support / run under
>Microsoft Windows. The only one that comes to mind immediately is Level
>5 Object. Can anyone think of any others?

Inference's (El Segundo, Calif) ART-IM/Windows will probably be
released within a half a year.  ART-IM is probably the fastest expert
system for real systems.  Most of the others are toys in that they
don't scale up well in performance.  ART-IM's speed is independent to
the number of rules (dependent on the number of unique patterns), and
is on most platforms from PC's to Workstations t Mainframes.

georger@microsoft.uucp (02/07/91)

I will drop a name of another shell for you : KnowledgePro Windows.
Neuron Data has Nexpert Object in a Windows version too.  I'm sure
there are others besides these and Level 5 stuff too, I just don't
remember them off the top of my head.  FYI - KnowledgePro Windows
lists for ~$700.00 US, and Nexpert Object is roughly $5000.00 US
for a development system.

george

mark@cambridge.apple.com (Mark Preece) (02/08/91)

>In article <7505@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) writes:
>>I'm currently looking for expert system shells that support / run under
>>Microsoft Windows.

Gold Works from Gold Hill

Gold Hill, Inc
26 Landsdowne St
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 621-3300

acha@CS.CMU.EDU (Anurag Acharya) (02/08/91)

In article <7510@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> carasso@aludra.usc.edu (Roger RDC Carasso) writes:
   ART-IM is probably the fastest expert
   system for real systems.  Most of the others are toys in that they
   don't scale up well in performance.

Are there any benchmarks available that provide evidence along those lines ?
Ditto for the scalability. If you are looking for raw speed, you might wish
to take a look at OPS83. Lanny Forgy (clf@cs.cmu.edu) will be willing to
provide you with all the information  you want.

   ART-IM's speed is independent to
   the number of rules (dependent on the number of unique patterns),.....

True for *all* systems that use the Rete algorithm to perform the match.
Rete shares the common tests in an directed acyclic graph framework.
In practice, however, only a test is shared by only a small number of
productions. therefore, the match time ends up being proportional to the
number of the rules albiet with a smaller coefficient. I would be greatly
(and happily) surprised if it was otherwise with ART-IM.

anurag

hkorp@cadsun.corp.mot.com (Helmut Korp) (02/13/91)

wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) writes:

>I'm currently looking for expert system shells that support / run under
>Microsoft Windows. The only one that comes to mind immediately is Level
>5 Object. Can anyone think of any others?

Other shells that run under Windows 3.0 are:
    - Kappa PC (not related to Intellicorp's other tool "ProKappa")
    - KPWin (Knowledge Pro for Windows, from Knowledge Garden)
and - Nexpert Object (from Neuron Data).

I suspect more will be available in the not too distant future.

>Thanks,
>Sande

>Saundra K. Wallfesh      |   "If it's stupid but works, it isn't
>Dynamics Research        |    stupid."        -- Amphibious Warfare
>wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil   |                       Review, Spring '89

Helmut

Helmut K. Korp						hkorp@mot.com
Motorola
3701 Algonquin Rd, Suite 601
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

brady@chopin.udel.edu (Joseph Brady) (02/14/91)

In article <7538@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> Helmut Korp <motcid!cadsun!hkorp@uunet.uu.net> writes:
>wallfesh@drcvax.af.mil (SANDE WALLFESH) writes:
>Other shells that run under Windows 3.0 are:
>    - KPWin (Knowledge Pro for Windows, from Knowledge Garden)
>Helmut

I would appreciate informal reviews of KPWIN (Knowledge Pro for
Windows) from anyone who has used it.

I used the predecessor DOS version to create some interesting
CAI tutors. However the systems ran slowly under DOS and memory
management was a problem for the KP interpreter.

Thanks in advance.

jjacobs@uunet.uu.net (Jeffrey Jacobs) (02/26/91)

NEXPERT Object runs under windows, *very* nicely!  Neuron Data can
be reached @(415)321-4488.

Based on very recent research, NEXPERT Object is *the* product to
beat if you want a graphical development environment.

Jeffrey M. Jacobs
ConsArt Systems Inc, Technology & Management Consulting
P.O. Box 3016, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
voice: (213)376-3802, E-Mail: 76702.456@COMPUSERVE.COM