[comp.ai.shells] Want expert system shell to generate embeddable inferencing engine and rule set TRC - expert system building tool

wetmore@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brad) (05/24/91)

In article <7976@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de>, rsw@cs.brown.edu (Bob
Weiner) writes:

> Date: Fri, 10 May 91 17:52 CDT
> From: salbrech@dar-18.naitc.com (Steve Albrecht)
>
> CLIPS(NASA/JSFC) version 5 should do everything that you ask, but I am
> not sure whether it is released yet.  It has been "about to be released"
> for over 6 mo. now.  Full source and manuals included for ~ $400 thru
> COSMIC(NASA's software distribution ceneter at Georgia Tech).  The
> object system is supposed to be CLOS-like.

CLIPS Ver 5.0 is definately out.  I have the documentation here in my
greedy little fingers, and I'm just sucking up the info as fast as I can.
The release seems very thorough, but I have little experience in ES so I would
probably NOT be the best person to ask about how this compares to others.
I'll just tell you what I know.

> CLIPS v4.3 is also very good except no object system.  Of course, you
> could role your own with C++ since the full source is available for $350.
> The integration of the objects into rules could be simple or as complete
> (and developmentally expensive) as you wish/can afford.

CLIPS ver 5.0 does support a language they call COOL, but I haven't got
to read that section yet, so I don't know what it can do.  But supposedly
it does offer a "full" Object Oriented Programming Language.  You'll just
have to take their word for it until I have time to finish reading.

The one nice thing we are finding is that it is pretty easy to combine
your C or Ada source with Clips to very specialized functions.  (Number
crunching, interprocess communication, and so on.)  From what I understand
you simply write your application code, compile it, and link it with the
original
CLIPS code, and you end up with a much more versatile system.

> There is no licensing or resistribution fee(even for the sources!) with
> CLIPS v4.3(expect v5.0 to be same).
>
> [But COSMIC is quick to note that they operate on a cost recovery basis and
> need revenues from distribution fees to continue their operations.  Contact:
> 	COSMIC
> 	The University of Georgia
> 	382 East Broad St.
> 	Athens, GA  30602
> 	service@cossack.cosmic.uga.edu	W404-542-3265 F404-542-4807 ]

From the README.TXT file on how to get CLIPS

                     CLIPS Release Notes (README.TXT)

                      Version 5.0      March 22, 1991

[ ... stuff deleted ... ]

HOW TO GET CLIPS
----------------
CLIPS was developed by the Software Technology Branch of the Information
System Directorate at NASA/Johnson Space Center. CLIPS is available to NASA
and USAF government organizations and their contractors by calling the STB
Products Help Desk between the hours of 8:00 AM to 4:45 PM (CST) Monday
through Friday at (713) 280-2233. Use of CLIPS is restricted as indicated in
the NOTICE at the top of this file and on each diskette.  US Government
contractors should have their contract number, government monitor's name and
phone number to provide to the STB Products Help desk to obtain CLIPS.  An
answering machine will take a message at other hours or when the line is
busy.  You may also use our electronic bulletin board to obtain information or
leave us a message. The numbers are (713) 280-3896 and (713) 280-3892; set
your modem at 300, 1200, or 2400 baud, no parity, 8 data bits and 1 stop bit.
The bulletin board operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week except for
maintenance.

CLIPS is available outside of the NASA and USAF and their contractors through
COSMIC, the NASA software distribution center. The cost of previous versions of
CLIPS has been about $350 for both source code and MS-DOS or Macintosh
executable. Unlimited copies can be made after purchasing CLIPS through COSMIC.
The same source code will run on nearly any machine which can support an ANSI
or K&R C compiler. The COSMIC program number is MSC-21208. COSMIC can be
contacted at:  COSMIC, 382 E. Broad St.,  Athens, GA  30602, (404) 542-3265.