[net.followup] Big Brother IS wtaching you - cross border phone traffic

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/08/84)

While it is legal for the NSA to tap USA to Canada phone calls, I am
sure that the volume is far far too large for them to do so.
When you consider that the USA and Canada are largest international
traders in the world (yup, you guys buy and sell more from Canada than
any other nation, including Japan and England) and that they have what
are probably the two most advanced and connected phone systems in the
world, and that they have close to the longest border in the world, it
all adds up to a lot of phone calls.

Now the usenet traffic to Europe, that's another story.  They supposedly
do listen to those calls, and I guess they might even decode modems - it
makes their job easier for us to send it all in machine readable form!

I wonder what would happen if we stuck encryption on the trans-atlantic
link?  Would there be some curious counter-intelligence forces (their only
descriptive name) poking around within minutes?
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

dee@cca.UUCP (Donald Eastlake) (12/10/84)

(1) If you are worried about something a public as "news" for some
reason, you don't have to hypothesize about cross border stuff, NSA
probably has at least one direct news feed from somewhere or other.

(2) For other stuff, don't forget that under the relevant federal court
decisions interpreting the federal wiretap statute, it is NOT a
violation of this statute to tap machine readable text conversation.
This was apparently partly based on the pen recorder decisions which
make it NOT federal wire taping to record the numbers called from a
phone (which is somewhat analogous to it not being a "search" to record
the outsides, including to and from addresses of mial).  On the other
hand, it is obviously a violation to tap analog voice conversations (and
presumably directly digitized conversations, although this has not come
up yet in court).
--
	+	Donald E. Eastlake, III
	ARPA:	dee@CCA-UNIX		usenet:	{decvax,linus}!cca!dee

ix241@sdcc6.UUCP (ix241) (12/10/84)

> I wonder what would happen if we stuck encryption on the trans-atlantic
> link?  Would there be some curious counter-intelligence forces (their only
> descriptive name) poking around within minutes?
> --
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

Only to see if the algorithm is neat.  You forget NSA does the codes for
*everything* that the government wants to encrypt.

John Testa
UCSD Chemistry
sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix241

jpm@calmasd.UUCP (John McNally) (12/11/84)

>> I wonder what would happen if we stuck encryption on the trans-atlantic
>> link?  Would there be some curious counter-intelligence forces (their only
>> descriptive name) poking around within minutes?
>> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

>Only to see if the algorithm is neat.  You forget NSA does the codes for
>*everything* that the government wants to encrypt.
>John Testa UCSD Chemistry sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix241

I think that Brad's idea is a good one.  But, I think that John is
misinformed.  This is my understanding of things (not guaranteed
correct):
The government surely knows how to crack the DES (Data Encryption
Standard) easily, which they (of course) encourage everyone to use
because (so the argument goes) it has been shown to be secure.
Here, secure means than any attacker will expend far more
resources cracking the code than the value of any info obtained.
I believe that DES uses a 51 bit code???
(the technical content of the following is certainly correct):
However, using RSA public-key cryptography, I could encode a
message that would give the NSA fits.  RSA is based upon the
intractability (to date) of the prime factoring problem.  If I use
an 800 bit key (the product of two large primes) a lot of
computational power must be expended in finding the key's prime
factors  (admittedly, I would have to expend a bit of computing
power encoding the message, but nowhere near what is required to
crack it).  There are just too many big primes and they are hard
as hell to find.  I do admit though that they will try and they
will eventually succeed.
Maybe Piet or some of those other mellow fellows in Amsterdam
would like to give it a try.  Given their political inclinations,
they will certainly trigger the NSA attention.  My only questions:
Will we ever know anything about it and will anyone care when I
disappear???
--
John McNally  Calma  11080 Roselle St. San Diego CA 92121
...{ucbvax,decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!jpm     (619)-458-3230

jhull@spp2.UUCP (12/11/84)

In article <1832@sdcc6.UUCP> ix241@sdcc6.UUCP (ix241) writes:
>> ... if we stuck encryption on the link...Would there be some
>> counter-intelligence poking around ...
>> Brad Templeton
>
>Only to see if the algorithm is neat.  ...
>John Testa
And to find out what you think is worth protecting.  Spooks want to
know EVERYTHING that ANYONE wants to hide.  Such stuff is their stock
in trade...

					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250
--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

> > I wonder what would happen if we stuck encryption on the trans-atlantic
> > link?  Would there be some curious counter-intelligence forces (their
> > only descriptive name) poking around within minutes?

> Only to see if the algorithm is neat.  You forget NSA does the codes for
> *everything* that the government wants to encrypt.

To make things even more interesting, we could intersperse total garbage
with real text.  Then again, considering*, maybe we already do! :-)

--------
*especially considering this message
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spyridon Triantafyllopoulos) (12/12/84)

Well, if you want to have some fun and infuriate (sp?) the
"intelligent agents" and the full time 007's, try mailing
some incombrehensible output (such as a nice 'a.out' or an APL
program) overseas... I really want to see 'em adb the whole thing
trying to get the keywords!!

Spiros Triantafyllopoulos
Computer Science Department
University of Southwestern Louisiana
{ut-sally, akgua}!usl!sigma

jih@usl.UUCP (Juha I. Heinanen) (12/13/84)

I remember earlier seeing an article by Piet from Amsterdam where he
recommended using phone to get to the free world on the other side of
Atlantic.  Unfortunately even that doesn't work as we have just heard.
The next step is to travel there yourself.  Do it today since tomorrow
they may decide to erase your memory before you cross the border.

                                        Juha Heinanen
					{ut-sally, akgua}!usl!jih

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (12/13/84)

In article <303@spp2.UUCP> jhull@spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) writes:
>In article <1832@sdcc6.UUCP> ix241@sdcc6.UUCP (ix241) writes:
>>> ... if we stuck encryption on the link...Would there be some
>>> counter-intelligence poking around ...
>>> Brad Templeton
>>
>>Only to see if the algorithm is neat.  ...
>>John Testa
>And to find out what you think is worth protecting.  Spooks want to
>know EVERYTHING that ANYONE wants to hide.  Such stuff is their stock
>in trade...

Let's spook the spooks - we'll encrypt net.jokes, then net.religion,
and to be really cruel, net.(shudder)flame!  :-)
--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard

ron@wjvax.UUCP (12/19/84)

Wouldn't it be a gass if the government (any government) spent
big bucks factoring the primes of an encrypted transatlantic
submission and never figured out that the scheme was rot13??
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (12/21/84)

>> From: ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian)
>> Date: Tue, 18-Dec-84 17:40:18 PST
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a gass if the government (any government) spent
>> big bucks factoring the primes of an encrypted transatlantic
>> submission and never figured out that the scheme was rot13??
>> --

Actually, I believe that decvax is compressing news going over the
trans-atlantic link (with compact) so in a sense, it is already
encrypted (to anyone who doesn't know what a Huffman encoding scheme
looks like)...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (12/24/84)

> From: ron@wjvax.UUCP
> Subject: Re: Big Brother IS wtaching you - cross border phone traffic
> Date: Tue, 18-Dec-84 20:40:18 EST

> Wouldn't it be a gass if the government (any government) spent
> big bucks factoring the primes of an encrypted transatlantic
> submission and never figured out that the scheme was rot13??
This reminds me of a book that Heinlein wrote once.  Most of the people
on Venus were indentured workers.  Some of the workers had escaped and
were out in the jungles planning some sort of revolt.  Our hero is
a lawyer who had signed up as a bet with one of his rich drinking buddies.
He happens to be an excellent amateur radio operator, and eventually
joins with the revolutionists.  They have problems with radio communications,
the authorities keep hearing them.  He dredges up a memory of an OLD
archaic radio method called "Amplitude Modulation" (These people are
so advanced they only have FM, and have never heard of AM).  AM is
invisible to the bad guys so the good guys win because they can now
communicate with no problems.
David Herron;  ARPA-> "ukma!david"@ANL-MCS
(Try the arpa address w/ and w/o the quotes, I have had much trouble with both.)

UUCP          -:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:--:-          (follow one of these routes)

{ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research} ! {anlams,anl-mcs} -----\  vvvvvvvvvvv
   {cbosgd!hasmed,mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc} ! qusavx -----/  ^^^^^^^^^^^