[comp.protocols.kerberos] ksrvutil bug

lunt@ctt.bellcore.com (Steve Lunt) (04/10/90)

	There is a bug in ksrvutil.c.  The fix is as follows:

567c567
< 	(void) des_random_key(new_key);
---
> 	(void) des_new_random_key(new_key);

When executing "ksrvutil change" I would get a core dump.  After recompiling
with the debug flag (-g), it worked fine!  Thus I suspected a machine
dependence.  des_random_key() seems to be machine dependent, while
des_new_random_key() seems to be less so, and they are advertised as having the
same purpose (to generate a hopefully random key using DES).  I noticed that
des_new_random_key() is used nowhere in the code.  Is this the successor to
des_random_key()?

-- Steve

cole@CS.WISC.EDU (Bruce Cole) (04/10/90)

     ksrvutil core dumps if you don't have a kerberos.conf installed (with an
entry specifying the admin server name).  I glanced at the code and saw that
this causes the realm name to not be set.

lunt@ctt.bellcore.com (Steve Lunt) (04/10/90)

Bruce,
	I do have a /etc/krb.conf specifying the admin server name.  By adding
debugging statements, I narrowed the problem down to the call to
des_random_key().  Again, I would have simply used the debugger, but compiling
it that way caused the bug to go away!

	I would hope the Kerberos implementors are working on fixes for both
bugs...

-- Steve