[comp.protocols.kerberos] Network-wide accounting.

Denis.Russell@newcastle.ac.uk (05/29/90)

I  don't  know  whether  this is the right mailing list for this
query.  If not, then apologies, and please direct me to  a  more
suitable list.

The Kerberos system supplies one of the necessities for seamless
distributed  processing  -  authentication, and the concept of a
single  distributed-system-wide  identity.   One  of  the  other
concepts  that  I've always thought of as a natural extension of
this is that of network accounting.  That is, the allocation  of
resources to individuals or "accounts" and the proper accounting
for  the  "spending"  or  possible  transfer of these resources.
Some might even correspond to real money, while others might  be
line-printer pages, say, or even entities or tokens generated by
value-added  services.   All  this  needs  to  be  done  at  the
institutional level, above the level of individual machines.

My  understanding  is that Project Athena does not have any such
accounting concept - though I'm open to immediate correction  on
this.   However,  many  Computing  Centres  are  moving strongly
towards cost recovery in  various  forms,  and  I  believe  that
strong    generalized   network   accounting   services   (quite
independent of individual "hosts" or "machines") are inevitable.
I'm just hoping that someone has devised such a creature  so  we
don't have to make one ourselves.

           Denis Russell

Denis Russell             JANET: Denis.Russell@uk.ac.newcastle
Computing Laboratory      ARPA:  Denis.Russell@newcastle.ac.uk
The University
Claremont Road            Tel:   (+44) 91 222 8243
Newcastle upon Tyne       Fax:   (+44) 91 222 8232
       NE1 7RU            Telex: 53 65 4  UNINEW G
ENGLAND

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (05/30/90)

Denis.Russell@newcastle.ac.uk writes:
>I  don't  know  whether  this is the right mailing list for this
>query.  If not, then apologies, and please direct me to  a  more
>suitable list.

	I'm going to claim that comp.protocols.misc is a
	"right" place, and direct followups there...

|					       One  of  the  other
| concepts  that  I've always thought of as a natural extension of
| this is that of network accounting.  That is, the allocation  of
| resources to individuals or "accounts" and the proper accounting
| for  the  "spending"  or  possible  transfer of these resources.

    I see this as a protocol layered on Kerberos, such that an accounting
server gives out accounting tickets (:-)) which in turn contain/accompany
kerberos tickets.

    At the programmatic level, this can be quite easy: for services with a
fixed cost per use it only requires linking with a library which overloads
the kerberos authentication calls with calls to the accounting service,
which in turn depends on kerberos for authentication of the request/response.
    For services with a variable cost (ie, printers), it requires explicit
attention, with calls to both accounting and authentication services.

    At the protocol level, it looks fairly hard!  It does require a
distributed database (unless accounting outages are to lock up all the
services!) and some carefull study to get it right.

| I'm just hoping that someone has devised such a creature  so  we
| don't have to make one ourselves.

    Well, someone is sure to point out that Athena has been working on a
printing service with accounting (Palladium), but when I was there earlier
this year they had just put installing it off again until at least the 6.5
release.  I suspect (ie, hope) we'll hear a bit about Palladium in this
discussion.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave