[net.followup] Must computer systems be an armed camp?

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/13/84)

While it's true that proper security is the only "secure" solution to
computer break-ins, can we take proposals that the laws should not
be there seriously?  Translate them to other forms of property..

"Laws against theft attack the symptom, not the problem.  What are truly
necessary are bolted doors, security patrols, guard dogs, and fully
authenticated access procedures.   Anybody who protects their house with
something as easily breakable as glass is ASKING to be broken into.
Anybody who leaves their door unlocked might as well give their property away."

Yet this is the sort of attitude I see posted to the net.  When I grew up
we never locked our house or car unless away for a long period like
a vacation.   There was a much more common attitude back then that it was
WRONG to invade other people's property whether it was easy or not.  If you
find a wallet with I.D. on the ground do you take the money just because
it's easy?

Now children are a different story.  They are immature and don't understand
this morality properly, so perhaps different conditions should apply to
them.  But the principles I have described above still apply fully to adults.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) (12/17/84)

> While it's true that proper security is the only "secure" solution to
> computer break-ins, can we take proposals that the laws should not
> be there seriously?  Translate them to other forms of property..
>
> "Laws against theft attack the symptom, not the problem.  What are truly
> necessary are bolted doors, security patrols, guard dogs, and fully
> authenticated access procedures.   Anybody who protects their house with
> something as easily breakable as glass is ASKING to be broken into.
> Anybody who leaves their door unlocked might as well give their property away."

I agree that computer crimes are wrong and that there should be laws
concerning them.  But I also think that companies with sensitive computers
would be foolish to depend on laws to protect them.  Would you deposit
your valuables in a bank that *didn't* have an electronic burglar alarm
and an impressive locking system on the vault?  Would you expect insurance
companies to put up with banks that transport large amounts of cash in
ordinary vehicles?  No.  Making bank robbery a federal offense is not
sufficient to prevent robberies.  Similarly, I don't like the idea that
TRW probably has a credit file on me that can easily be gotten to by
crackers.  Just as it should be a crime to break into TRW's system, it should
be criminally negligent of TRW to have inadequate security precautions.

--

*** REPLACE THIS MESSAGE WITH YOUR LINE ***

Jon Mauney    mcnc!ncsu!mauney    C.S. Dept, North Carolina State University

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (12/17/84)

Brad Templeton writes :
>"Laws against theft attack the symptom, not the problem.  What are truly
>necessary are bolted doors, security patrols, guard dogs, and fully
>authenticated access procedures.   Anybody who protects their house with
>something as easily breakable as glass is ASKING to be broken into.
>Anybody who leaves their door unlocked might as well give their property away."
>Yet this is the sort of attitude I see posted to the net.  When I grew up
>we never locked our house or car unless away for a long period like
>a vacation.   There was a much more common attitude back then that it was
>WRONG to invade other people's property whether it was easy or not.  If you
>find a wallet with I.D. on the ground do you take the money just because
>it's easy?

Now children are a different story.  They are immature and don't understand

As I see it, it would not make sense to leave a bank unlocked and unprotected
after hours, or a toy store. The computer systems most often broken into are
not "private" systems, but rather "business" systems. Wouldn't it be a bit
dreary to break into someones IBM PC and steal their recipie(sp?) file? It
has historically been true that if you heard a modem tone on the answering
line that you were listening to some big and intriguing computer. However
these days, and even more so in the future, you will probably be listening
to someones home computer. When that is the case, all computers will
benefit since random modem seeking programs will not be nearly as effective
if they return 150 phone numbers rather than say 10. The effort needed to
find a computer will exceed the threshold of many password hackers and
the problem will be reduced. A perfectly clever way to hide your modem
from these guys is to have you phone answered by an answering machine
that talks for a while >30 sec and then kicks in the modem, most search
programs will have long since given up.

--Chuck
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

jhull@spp2.UUCP (12/19/84)

In article <2745@ncsu.UUCP> mauney@ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) writes:
>>... who leaves their door unlocked might as well give their property away.
>
>I agree that computer crimes are wrong and that there should be laws
>concerning them.  But I also think that companies with sensitive computers
>would be foolish to depend on laws to protect them.  ...
>Just as it should be a crime to break into TRW's system, it should
>be criminally negligent of TRW to have inadequate security precautions.
>
>Jon Mauney    mcnc!ncsu!mauney    C.S. Dept, North Carolina State University

Hear!  Hear!  I am willing to offer my services as an expert witness
to anyone who wants to bring suit against TRW Credit or any similar
organization on grounds of negligence for failing to provide adequate
computer security measures.  This includes banks, insurance companies,
major retail organizations, e.g., Sears, Roebuck & Co., oil companies,
credit card companies, e.g., VISA, and others.

--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (12/23/84)

I heard that somewhere up north one of the big phone companies (I
know I know but it was a while ago) is testing a system where you
can see the number that's calling you before you answer he phone.
You  can  also cause certain numbers to be automatically screened
out. If someone has an unlisted number, it won't show, but for $3
you  can  call  a phone company number immediately and get an in-
stant trace.

This setup has obvious implications for computers on modems. Once
widely  implemented, it will virtually eliminate phone line hack-
ing.

Sean Casey

"Engineers...they just LOVE to change things."

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (12/25/84)

> I heard that somewhere up north one of the big phone companies. . .
> is testing a system where you can see the number that's calling you
> before you answer he phone. . .  This setup has obvious implications
> for computers on modems. Once widely  implemented, it will virtually
> eliminate phone line hacking.

I guess they've yet to get public phones up north.
--
	..decvax!seismo!elsie!ado			(301) 496-5688
	DEC, VAX and Elsie are Digital Equipment and Borden trademarks