[comp.protocols.kerberos] RE - Potential misuse of th

Dan_Nessett.NSD@LCCMAIL.OCF.LLNL.GOV (Dan Nessett) (09/25/90)

REGARDING                Re : potential misuse of the internetwork

Recently, I have noticed a new type of communication creeping into internet
mailing lists.  People are using the lists for commercial advertisements.  I am
not an expert on the problem, but I beleive it is improper (perhaps illegal) to
use the internetwork for commercial purposes such as the advertisement sent
recently to the kerberos mailing list by Mr. Fox on behalf of Mr. Hill (see
below).  While a certain bending of the rules might be acceptable for
information concerning products related to computer networking and distributed
systems, Mr. Fox's advertisement for the sale of part-ownership in a ranch
property in Redding, CA. seems to bend the rules to the point where they break.

Since the incidence of this abuse of internetwork facilities is on the rise, I
wonder if the IAB needs to take a look at the problem before it gets out of
hand.  For this reason I am forwarding this observation to Vint Cerf, who heads
the IAB, for his consideration.

Dan Nessett

   FOR SALE
   ========

   Part ownership in a Ranch Resort near the town of Redding, located
   in northern California.

   This is not a Time-Share; once you are an owner you can visit 365 days
   a year for as long as you wish to stay. There are camper and trailer
   hookups as well as areas for tents.

   What you get with this is 250 cabins, 2 swimming pools, 2 hot tubs,
   a 42 room hotel, 100+ horses, dance hall, club house, restaurant,
   tennis courts, volleyball courts, Gun range (pistol, Rifle and Archery),
   2 sites for tents, 2 sites for campers, hiking trails, trails for 4WD
   and other off road vehicles, 3 lakes for fishing, and much more. You are
   near Lake Shasta, but not too near. There is Cross Country Skiing as
   well as Hill Skiing each year.

   The Ranch is a place to get away from the working world and enjoy
   life all over again. I am leaving CA. and wish to sell my interest in
   this Ranch I do not plan on coming back. The asking price is $140,000,
   but I am willing to hear all who are interested. You can call me at
   (408) 929-3361 (home), (408) 366-4137/4108 (work) or you can
   send me an e-mail.

   Thanks...

   - Cornelius Hill

jis@MIT.EDU (Jeffrey I. Schiller) (09/25/90)

	Actually these messages are the result of a software bug and are
not intentional acts. The individuals in question posted their messages
to what should have been local for-sale bulletin boards. Here is a
message we received on this issue:

   Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 08:02:57 PDT
   From: kolk@smiley.Stanford.EDU (Dan Kolkowitz)
   To: jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
   Subject: Re:  Your recent mail/post to 'kerberos@athena.mit.edu'/comp.protocols.kerberos

   this is a bug in bnews--if someone has a group that overlaps with a
   distribution domain, e.g. na, then it will get posted to every group
   that has that distribution.  Cnews fixes this.  We will be moving to it
   shortly.  That's why this kind of stuff shows up.

			-Jeff

vcerf@NRI.RESTON.VA.US (09/29/90)

Dan,

this is absolutely an abuse of the system, if not legally,
then at least by common consent. As you may know, many of
the service providers in the Internet community (and there
are now MANY of them) have been tussling with expressing
acceptable use practices. The initial government limitations
expressed by DARPA in the earliest phases of Internet are
no longer fully applicable because there are so many
parts of the system which are not supplied or subsidized
by the government.

However, the community of users has come to accept a kind
of tacit set of "rules of the road" which sets limits on
the kinds of "advertising" which is considered acceptable.
Solicitations of the kind you sent to me are absolutely
out of bounds on distribution lists intended for technical
exchange. Job solicitations are also considered out of
bounds for the simple reason that employers who pay for
access to Internet have a right to assume their employees
will not be subject to head-hunting in the technical
distribution lists. If someone set up a distribution list
which was devoted to job solicitations or product offers,
perhaps the rules could be more accommodating, but then
the providers of the underlying Internet communication
service might have some strong opinions about the
admissibility of the distribution list.

I appreciate your sensitivity in bringing this particular
incident to my attention. I will be working with the IAB,
IESG and FNC as well as with the regionals to clarify the
question of acceptable use as much as possible. It is
quite possible that the net result will be a kind of
ethical statement which, while not having the force of law,
could influence the user community. A stronger result could
possibly grow out of this discussion, but it might only be
strongly enforceable for parts of the system subsidized
by the U.S. or other governments. The fully commercial
portions of the Internet may not want a priori limitations
on what is permissible to send, although the users of the
various mailing lists have a right, in my opinion, to
ask that certain rules of propriety be observed for specific
lists.

I would be very interested in any further thoughts you may
have on this topic.

Vint