[comp.protocols.kerberos] Kerberos errors and errno in Version 4

jtkohl@MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) (04/02/91)

This question has come up several times recently, and I think it's worth
a "broadcast" about the problem:

> From: nss1!ajf@uunet.UU.NET (Adam Feldman)
> Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 13:38:39 EST

> Hello John,

> [ question about error return codes from sendauth and recvauth in v4
> Kerberos]

> My question is: how can an application distinguish or determine if a
> returned error code is a Kerberos-defined error or an errno.h-defined
> error ??  The Kerberos error numbers and errno.h numbers are NOT mutually
> exclusive.

Yes, this is a bug which causes much confusion.  The application can't
disambiguate the codes (and this is one of the major reasons for the
unified error code system used in v5...).

The v4 code has some cruft in it, and this is one of those pieces of
cruft.

John