[comp.protocols.kerberos] Kerberos and non-USA Customers of Ultrix 4.0

penneyj@slc.com (D. Jason Penney) (04/06/91)

I understand that Ultrix 4.0 and the new release of AIX for the
IBM RS/6000 are going to support kerberos authentication protocols.

Seeing as the export of DES outside of the US is restricted, and bones.tar.Z
does not offer an alternative encryption strategy, a real question arises:
exactly WHAT are these vendors doing for their non-USA customers?

On a related issue, if I link kerberos (and DES) libraries into my executable,
am I barred from shipping that executable outside of the US?

Please reply by e-mail.  If enough people show interest, I will post a
summary.

Thank you.
--
D. Jason Penney           Ph: (503) 629-8383
Beaverton, OR 97006       uucp: ...uunet!servio!penneyj (penneyj@slc.com)

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) (04/08/91)

> Date: 5 Apr 91 23:15:43 GMT
> From: penneyj@slc.com (D. Jason Penney)
>
> Seeing as the export of DES outside of the US is restricted, and bones.tar.Z
> does not offer an alternative encryption strategy, a real question arises:
> exactly WHAT are these vendors doing for their non-USA customers?

you've got to ask those vendors ...

> On a related issue, if I link kerberos (and DES) libraries into my executable,
> am I barred from shipping that executable outside of the US?

ask your corporate counsel.  relying on advice from the network for
something like this is foolhardy at best.

speaking for myself,
-- henry
--------

maj@cl.cam.ac.uk (Martyn Johnson) (04/08/91)

> Seeing as the export of DES outside of the US is restricted, and bones.tar.Z
> does not offer an alternative encryption strategy, a real question arises:
> exactly WHAT are these vendors doing for their non-USA customers?

Ultrix 4.0 as delivered in the United Kingdom certainly has the
Kerberos stuff in it. I presume that Digital obtained the necessary
export license.

Martyn Johnson      maj@cl.cam.ac.uk
University of Cambridge Computer Lab