[comp.protocols.kerberos] kerberos export version / refilled

plipp@FIAIKDS01.TU-GRAZ.AC.AT (Peter Lipp) (04/19/91)

Having heard about existing kerberos sources on sites outside the us,
having added encryption calls back into the "stripped down" kerberos and/or
providing replacement DES encryption libraries,
I wonder if anybody here can tell me where these sites are and how to get
these sources.

Thanks a lot for any hint.
Dipl.Ing. Dr. Peter Lipp - Institute for Applied Information Processing
Technische Universitaet Graz, Austria (University of Technology, Graz, Austria)
plipp@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at

raob@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (richard oxbrow) (04/20/91)

In article <9104191531.AA07295@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at> plipp@FIAIKDS01.TU-GRAZ.AC.AT (Peter Lipp) writes:
>Having heard about existing kerberos sources on sites outside the us,
>having added encryption calls back into the "stripped down" kerberos and/or
>providing replacement DES encryption libraries,
>I wonder if anybody here can tell me where these sites are and how to get
>these sources.
>
>Thanks a lot for any hint.

Have a look on,

	gondwana.ecr.mu.OZ.AU		[128.250.1.63]

in directory ..

	pub/athena/

and grab the readme first.

This version of kerberos is based on the bones.tar.Z from mit with the
authentication calls re-installed and a non-USA DES kit/library is provided.
This modified version of kerberos/bones is provided by eay@kowande.bu.oz.au
(Eric, Bond University, Qlds, Australia)

	richard ..

#ps. If you have problems reaching gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au due to network
     problems e-mail me raob@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU .
richard oxbrow			   |internet    raob@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU
dept. ee eng,  uni of melbourne    |uunet       ..!uunet!munnari!mullian!raob
parkville victoria         3052	   |fax         +[613] 344 6678
australia               	   |phone       +[613] 344 6782

schneck@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Bernhard Schneck) (04/21/91)

raob@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (richard oxbrow) writes:

>In article <9104191531.AA07295@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at> plipp@FIAIKDS01.TU-GRAZ.AC.AT (Peter Lipp) writes:
>>Having heard about existing kerberos sources on sites outside the us,
>>having added encryption calls back into the "stripped down" kerberos and/or
>>providing replacement DES encryption libraries,
>>I wonder if anybody here can tell me where these sites are and how to get
>>these sources.
>>
>>Thanks a lot for any hint.

>Have a look on,
>	gondwana.ecr.mu.OZ.AU		[128.250.1.63]
>[...]
>authentication calls re-installed and a non-USA DES kit/library is provided.

The funny (or bad) news is, Peter can't use this version, because FTP
to any.where.oz.au from Europe goes via the US, and as soon as a DES
bit enters the US it may not get out again, no matter if it is
encapsulated in an IP packet or not.

If I remember correctly, we in Munich have a copy at least of a des
library (I think posted from Finland, and transferred there by direct
phone dialup from Australia, so it even might be the same library, and
just lets hope phone lines do not touch the US anywhere [hmm ... what
if the call was relayed by an US telecomm sattelite???]).

... BUT ... FTP from Austria to Munich is via the US, too ... :((

\Bernhard.
--
Bernhard Schneck        Internet: B.Schneck@Marvin.E17.Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE
TU Muenchen Physik E17            Postmaster@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE

raob@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (richard oxbrow) (04/21/91)

In article <schneck.672168570@marvin> schneck@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Bernhard Schneck) writes:
>raob@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (richard oxbrow) writes:
>>In article <9104191531.AA07295@iaik.tu-graz.ac.at> plipp@FIAIKDS01.TU-GRAZ.AC.AT (Peter Lipp) writes:
>>>Having heard about existing kerberos sources on sites outside the us,
>>>Thanks a lot for any hint.
>>Have a look on,
>>	gondwana.ecr.mu.OZ.AU		[128.250.1.63]
>>[...]
>The funny (or bad) news is, Peter can't use this version, because FTP
>to any.where.oz.au from Europe goes via the US, and as soon as a DES
>
>library (I think posted from Finland, and transferred there by direct
>phone dialup from Australia, so it even might be the same library, and
>just lets hope phone lines do not touch the US anywhere [hmm ... what
>if the call was relayed by an US telecomm sattelite???]).
>
>... BUT ... FTP from Austria to Munich is via the US, too ... :((

Well maybe one day if the USSR holds together we can string a Fibre Optic
link across the USSR and jump via a direct link to Japan ;-)
(hey then we could ping around the world)

	richard ..

marc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Marc Horowitz) (04/23/91)

>>... BUT ... FTP from Austria to Munich is via the US, too ... :((

Well, you could use bang paths or foo%bar@baz notation.  Have fun
finding an int'l route that doesn't use the US, though....

		Marc