[comp.sys.laptops] linking 2 pcs

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (12/01/89)

In article <140@csucis.UUCP> mlc@csucis.UUCP (Cipalla Mike) writes:
>The program that you need is called LAPLINK PLUS it will allow you to use
>another computers drives from your machine through a cable. It works at
>115,000 baud and on Model 70's should be very fast. You can also set it up
>to use the floppy drives as well. Great program for copying programs for a
>3 1/2" machine to a 5 1/4" machine when you don't have a machine with both
>disk types.

I've been trying to find something which does this between my Z-100
(generic MS-DOS - not PC-DOS) and an IBM-Contemptible; specifically my
recently acquired Zenith 286 Laptop.  Simtel's modem programs don't
seem to like the Z-100, presumably because they make direct bios
calls.  Kermit [ S L O W ] can be made to work, and I assume the Z-100
version of Procom with PC-Procom in the Laptop would work, but even
with the PC Emulator running in the Z-100 I can't get anything really
efficient to run.  The Laptop comes with ZCOM which must be similar to
LAPLINK (which I do NOT have), but I can't make ZCOM behave in the -100.
Kermit is my last resort, but has anybody actually made one of the
better things run on a -100?  And am I correct in thinking LAPLINK is
not PD?  I don't need it unless it will play on the -100.  Can anybody
check whether its documentation makes a distinction between PCDOS and
MSDOS and/or whether it says it won't work with non-compatibles?
--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.LL.mit.edu]
   ... A concerned and somewhat ashamed member of the only species