[comp.sys.laptops] Need RAM ugrade for *original* Tandy model 100

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (01/14/90)

I have one of the original laptops, a Tandy model 100.  It only
has *8K* of RAM.  I didn't want to pay the $250 for the expansion
chip to up it 24K so I stuck now.  I have talked to many of the
salepeople at Radio Shack and they claim that they dont have anything
that will help.  Does anyone know the chip type that was used for RAM and
where I might find one?  Without extra RAM the thing is absolutely useless.

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas             {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!hunter

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/15/90)

In article <2822@cerberus.oakhill.UUCP> hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) writes:
>I have one of the original laptops, a Tandy model 100.  It only
>has *8K* of RAM.  I didn't want to pay the $250 for the expansion
>chip to up it 24K so I stuck now.  I have talked to many of the
>salepeople at Radio Shack and they claim that they dont have anything
>that will help.  Does anyone know the chip type that was used for RAM and
>where I might find one?  Without extra RAM the thing is absolutely useless.

I've upgraded several of these.  I haven't bought the chips for a long
time, but most major electrical supply houses (like the ones that
advertise in the back of Byte) carry them.  I think that when I last
bought some the price was about $25 for each 8K chip.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

pollack@toto.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jordan B Pollack) (01/16/90)

I don't remember where I got my 24k from, but it was about $20/module.
Radio Shack used rare expensive chips. Mine were 8k by 8 static rams,
but were mounted on special PCB's, which permuted the pins.

I think that there are still specialty houses which cater to the
M100/102, such as Traveling Software, last known location was Bothell
WA, 206-483-8088.  They sold me a beautiful M100 product called
ROM2/Cleuseau, which added an assembler and upgraded both basic and the
editor.

--
Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research