[comp.sys.laptops] Toshiba T1000

jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) (01/13/90)

The light weight and low price of the Toshiba T1000 (and the reasonable
configuration, one floppy and a floppy's worth of ramdisk, and the
DOS on rom) make it desirable to me, with two exceptions:  the DOS on
rom is quite old, like version 2.1 or so, and the keyboard feel is such
that I end up losing space characters quite often.  I don't have the problem
with the T1500, which has a nice key feel to me.  Even if I were willing
to pay the additional money, the 1500 weighs a lot more.

Can transplants be done?  Has anyone done them, on the keyboard or on
the DOS rom?  Are there after-market fix ups for this machine?

          Joe Stong       jst@cca.ucsf.edu

cracraft@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (01/14/90)

In article <2714@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> jst@cca.ucsf.edu (Joe Stong) writes:

>The light weight and low price of the Toshiba T1000 (and the reasonable
>configuration, one floppy and a floppy's worth of ramdisk, and the
>DOS on rom) make it desirable to me, with two exceptions:  the DOS on
>rom is quite old, like version 2.1 or so, and the keyboard feel is such
>that I end up losing space characters quite often.  I don't have the problem
>with the T1500, which has a nice key feel to me.  Even if I were willing
>to pay the additional money, the 1500 weighs a lot more.
>
>Can transplants be done?  Has anyone done them, on the keyboard or on
>the DOS rom?  Are there after-market fix ups for this machine?
>
>          Joe Stong       jst@cca.ucsf.edu

The T1000 is a good work-horse of a machine. You may be able to
upgrade the ROM, but should call Toshiba at 714-583-3000 and
ask for laptop sales. If you want more technical advice, call the
same number, but ask for laptop tech support.

There is no "T1500", you must mean the T5100. I inferred this
because the T1200 doesn't way all that more than the T1000 and
you emphasize the additional money and the weight. The 5100
is a heavy-duty machine. I've used one for a bit over a year,
and think it's pretty good. My only nit is that disk drives
in the PC industry seem to have less stability that I'd
prefer, and coming from the mainframe world, I always wonder
why people put up without good solid disks.

	Stuart Cracraft
	Toshiba

news@calgary.UUCP (Network News Manager) (01/16/90)

wife has a T1000 and she caries it to school almost every day (walking).
She deos mostly word processing and some e-mail and loves it.  At the
same time some of her profesors have heavier machines (Zenith 181?) and
they keep them on their desks all the time, even though they drive!!
We also took the laptop in out trip back home to Argentina and it was
a great way to get my daily fix of programing and playing.
Finally, given the prices I have seen advertized the T100 seems the
best combination for writing, traveling, etc.
From: gaston@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Gaston Groisman)

		Gaston Groisman.