[comp.sys.laptops] 386SX as a unix/xenix box

gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU (PLACENTA) (01/16/90)

Someone mentioned the use of a 386SX Laptop as a portable UNIX box.  I read
in the Unix in-depth about SCO Xenix that most PC 386 unices do _NOT_ operate
reliably in a 16-bit environment.  SCO most emphatically suggests that you do
NOT use SCO Xenix/386 in a 386SX.  Pity and a shame, though.  You'd have to
look at last month's BYTE (I've lost it), and I don't think it goes in depth.

--
Charles LeDuc | gt1342a@prism.gatech.edu | GT PoBox 31342a Atl GA 30332-1001 USA
NetMail 7301/203 , 7301/516 | "victims of incipient bang-utut clutch..." W.S.B.

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (01/16/90)

In article <4899@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU () writes:

>Someone mentioned the use of a 386SX Laptop as a portable UNIX box.  I read
>in the Unix in-depth about SCO Xenix that most PC 386 unices do _NOT_ operate
>reliably in a 16-bit environment.  SCO most emphatically suggests that you do
>NOT use SCO Xenix/386 in a 386SX.  Pity and a shame, though.  You'd have to
>look at last month's BYTE (I've lost it), and I don't think it goes in depth.
>
>--
>Charles LeDuc | gt1342a@prism.gatech.edu | GT PoBox 31342a Atl GA 30332-1001 USA
>NetMail 7301/203 , 7301/516 | "victims of incipient bang-utut clutch..." W.S.B.
>...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,rutgers,purdue}!gatech!prism!gt1342a |Please apply all
>...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt1342a  |  Standard Disclamers.

 Sorry guy but you are way out in left field on this one...
even though the 386SX presents a 16bit(multiplexed 32 bit) bus to the
outside world IT IS A FULL 32 BITS WIDTH INTERNALLY(on the chip itself)
furthermore Xenix 2.3.2 from SCO runs just fine although more slowly
than a full width 386... really read your intel component descriptions
before more misinformation is propagated... note that I dont work for SCO
I am just one of their highly satisfied customers...(wish I could say that
about my other unnamed vendor for 386 unix...)
     cheers
     kelly

md@sco.COM (Michael Davidson) (01/17/90)

gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU (PLACENTA) writes:

>Someone mentioned the use of a 386SX Laptop as a portable UNIX box.  I read
>in the Unix in-depth about SCO Xenix that most PC 386 unices do _NOT_ operate
>reliably in a 16-bit environment.  SCO most emphatically suggests that you do
>NOT use SCO Xenix/386 in a 386SX.  Pity and a shame, though.  You'd have to
>look at last month's BYTE (I've lost it), and I don't think it goes in depth.

I don't have a copy of the BYTE article to hand, but I seem to remember
that it was open to mis-interpretation - I think the point that they
were attempting to make was simply that a 386SX with 16 bit memory
really does not have anything like the performance of a 386DX with
32 bit memory. (they also, correctly, made the same point about adding
16 bit memory to 386DX machines - something which we do not recomend)

That having been said, the 386SX has the advantage of being a cheap
entry-level 32 bit processor which, apart from it's smaller physical
address space, is completely compatible with the 386DX.

Both SCO Xenix/386 and SCO UNIX 3.2 operate perfectly reliably on
386SX processors - the price point of the 386SX machines pretty
accurately reflects their relative performance compared with
32 bit 386DX machines - it is somewhere between the fastest 286
machines and the slowest (ie 16MHz) 32 bit 386 machines.

We have 386SX machines in house running both Xenix/386, UNIX 3.2
and SCO ODT (which includes NFS, TCP/IP and X windows).

If you are contemplating buying a desktop machine I think that
you probably would be wise to consider at least a 20 MHz (or
preferably 25 MHz) 386DX, since the incremental price difference
is not that great, but if you want a laptop to run UNIX, or the
cheapest desktop machine possible, there is absolutely no reason
not to buy a 386SX. (I'm not sure whether that counts as an
"emphatic suggestion" or not ;-)

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (01/17/90)

In article <4899@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU () writes:
>Someone mentioned the use of a 386SX Laptop as a portable UNIX box.  I read
>in the Unix in-depth about SCO Xenix that most PC 386 unices do _NOT_ operate
>reliably in a 16-bit environment.  SCO most emphatically suggests that you do
>NOT use SCO Xenix/386 in a 386SX.

This is definitely not true.  Both SCO XENIX 386 and SCO UNIX System V/386
will run fine on a 386SX machine.  The only problem I could forsee would be
a degradation of performance if slower 16-bit memory is used in the machine.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (01/17/90)

In article <4899@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU () writes:

>SCO most emphatically suggests that you do NOT use SCO Xenix/386 in a 386SX.

Interesting.  I've been using SCO XENIX 2.3.2 (386) on my 386SX for 2 months
now, and it's worked perfectly.  The machine serves as a news server, and is
up 24 hours a day.
--
Ed Carp                 N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!khijol!erc
Austin, Texas           (512) 832-5884          "Good tea.  Nice house." - Worf

rjd@dell.dell.com (Randall J. Davis) (01/18/90)

gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU (PLACENTA) writes:
|>Someone mentioned the use of a 386SX Laptop as a portable UNIX box.  I read
|>in the Unix in-depth about SCO Xenix that most PC 386 unices do _NOT_ operate
|>reliably in a 16-bit environment.  SCO most emphatically suggests that you do
|>NOT use SCO Xenix/386 in a 386SX.  Pity and a shame, though.  You'd have to
|>look at last month's BYTE (I've lost it), and I don't think it goes in depth.

   Dell's version of ISC System V/386 UNIX works great on Dell's 386SX machine,
the 316SX (16 MHZ 80386SX box).   Dell's number is 1-800-426-5150.

Randy