[comp.sys.laptops] Any impressions of the new GrIDPad?

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (01/12/90)

Has anyone out there played with the new GrIDPad - the one with
a stylus that writes directly onto the LCD display (no keyboard,
just handwriting recognition). This seems like the wave of the future
if it can be done right. [Remember the DynaBook?]

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA/ERL/FSL
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168

g1@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (01/13/90)

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:

#Has anyone out there played with the new GrIDPad - the one with
#a stylus that writes directly onto the LCD display (no keyboard,
#just handwriting recognition). This seems like the wave of the future
#if it can be done right. [Remember the DynaBook?]

I dunno about you, but I can type a hell of a lot faster than I can
legible write.

- Bruce
* Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict       uunet!amdahl!drivax!holloway *
* ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                            ALBATROSS @ Delphi *

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (01/14/90)

In article <15545@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:

>Has anyone out there played with the new GrIDPad - the one with
>a stylus that writes directly onto the LCD display (no keyboard,
>just handwriting recognition). This seems like the wave of the future

Are you serious in saying that this is the wave of the future?  If you are
a hunt and peck artist at the keyboard I can understand this I suppose, but
for the rest of us???  I think it's just a gimmick, at least for most users.
Carl Riehm.

pubtendr@xroads.UUCP (Steve Roberson) (01/15/90)

In article <25B08A6E.12422@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:

> Are you serious in saying that this is the wave of the future?  If you are
> a hunt and peck artist at the keyboard I can understand this I suppose, but
> for the rest of us???  I think it's just a gimmick, at least for most users.
> Carl Riehm.

There is a good blurb on the Gridpad in the Jan90 PC Laptop magazine. The
list price is $2370.00 and it states that the unit has a plug for an external
keyboard.
I have a vision of velcroing this thing to the wall of my cubical and having
just a keyboard on my desk. When away from the desk this wouldn't be too
conveinient but you'd probably want the GridPad for customized applications
anyway.
Now if they had a touch-screen model....
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (01/18/90)

In article <H8LCM25@drivax.UUCP> g1@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>I dunno about you, but I can type a hell of a lot faster than I can
>legible write.
>
>- Bruce
>--
>* Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict       uunet!amdahl!drivax!holloway *
>* ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                            ALBATROSS @ Delphi *

Perhaps a "Terminal Netnews Addict" can type that fast, but the vast
majority of people (not just us computer geeks) cannot. Also, the GRiDPad
can be used *standing up* by holding it with one hand and writing with the
other, just like a scratchpad. How fast can you type with one hand?
I believe that this represents a major step forward in portability and
usability - if it works well, that is.

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (01/18/90)

In article <25B08A6E.12422@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>In article <15545@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone out there played with the new GrIDPad - the one with
>>a stylus that writes directly onto the LCD display (no keyboard,
>>just handwriting recognition). This seems like the wave of the future
>
>Are you serious in saying that this is the wave of the future?  If you are
>a hunt and peck artist at the keyboard I can understand this I suppose, but
>for the rest of us???  I think it's just a gimmick, at least for most users.

It's not intended to be a generalized computer system.  It's intended for
field usage where a keyboard is inconvenient or difficult to use.  And yes,
Grid machines are expensive - they're commercial boxes with military
durability (and prices! :-).

Wave of the future?  I can type faster than I write and get writers cramp
whenever I write more than half a page.  I'm left handed, too, which makes
matters that much worse.  With computers at work, at school, and at home, I
almost don't need pens and pencils any more.  I can see uses for a GridPad
that weighs less than a pound (don't remember how much it really weighs),
but it's not for me.  Of course, if it had a keyboard and a paint program to
go with that stylus, I would gladly give up mice.

And that could well be the (a?) wave of the future.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com

clh@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (01/19/90)

In article <15782@boulder.Colorado.EDU> fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) writes:
>In article <H8LCM25@drivax.UUCP> g1@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>>I dunno about you, but I can type a hell of a lot faster than I can
>>legible write.
>Perhaps a "Terminal Netnews Addict" can type that fast, but the vast
>majority of people (not just us computer geeks) cannot. Also, the GRiDPad

C'mon now.  You too can type faster than you can write, and ESPECIALLY
faster than you can print.  And have you ever tried copying something by
hand without looking at what you're writing?

Seriously!  Buy a cheapo clone and someone's typing tutor program, you'll see.
The results will be worth it!

>can be used *standing up* by holding it with one hand and writing with the
>other, just like a scratchpad. How fast can you type with one hand?

Now this sounds like a more interesting application.  Sort of the Sony
Writeman (no attempt to steal any trademarks here!) approach to life.  I
have a picture of some astronmer prodding the bowels of her solar telescope
and taking notes on her Gridpad.  I'd bet this application is in the minority,
though.

Seems to me that the "point-and-click" metaphor has been fairly well
demonstrated to fit into the situation of the computer having more information
than the user (ie the "majority of people" mentioned above).  In the case
where the user has more useful information than the computer (ie us computer
geeks), I can't say that I'd prefer to write, rather than type, commands.  By
the way, have you checked out the portable Mac?  It brings the point-and-click
metaphor to the (almost) hand-held world.

Besides, I *DEFY* you to conceive of how the Gridpad is going to support all
those EMACS users out there :-)

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!tacitus!clh         V5Z 1E5
clh@tfic.bc.ca -or- Chris_Hermansen@mtsg.ubc.ca

May you work in an interesting place.

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (01/20/90)

In article <144@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca> clh@tacitus.UUCP (Chris Hermansen) writes:
>C'mon now.  You too can type faster than you can write, and ESPECIALLY
>faster than you can print.  And have you ever tried copying something by
>hand without looking at what you're writing?

>Seriously!  Buy a cheapo clone and someone's typing tutor program, you'll see.
>The results will be worth it!

I presume that you have never attempted to teach your mother or an Art History
student (excuse the shameful generalizations!) to use a computer
- either that, or you are
being tongue-in-cheek about this suggestion. The VAST majority of even
affluent Americans find typing slow and painful, but writing easy and
natural.

>>can be used *standing up* by holding it with one hand and writing with the
>>other, just like a scratchpad. How fast can you type with one hand?

>Now this sounds like a more interesting application.  Sort of the Sony
>Writeman (no attempt to steal any trademarks here!) approach to life.  I
>have a picture of some astronmer prodding the bowels of her solar telescope
>and taking notes on her Gridpad.  I'd bet this application is in the minority,
>though.

In the minority? Hardly. I'd lay heavy odds that far more people spend time
using a notepad or clipboard than even the most common computer applications
such as word processors and spreadsheets.

>the way, have you checked out the portable Mac?  It brings the point-and-click
>metaphor to the (almost) hand-held world.

The portable Mac is a wonderful machine - easily the most advanced and
usable portable machine, yet still falls far short of ideal. What I want
is a portable device with the ease of use of a notepad, and the information
processing power of a Symbolics or a Mac. I'm not that hard to please :-).
It may be just wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that the GRiDPad is a
step in the right direction.

>Besides, I *DEFY* you to conceive of how the Gridpad is going to support all
>those EMACS users out there :-)

No hope of satisfying THEM (us!).

dave@fps.com (Dave Smith) (01/20/90)

In article <144@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca> clh@tacitus.UUCP (Chris Hermansen) writes:

>Now this sounds like a more interesting application.  Sort of the Sony
>Writeman (no attempt to steal any trademarks here!) approach to life.  I
>have a picture of some astronmer prodding the bowels of her solar telescope
>and taking notes on her Gridpad.  I'd bet this application is in the minority,
>though.
>
>Seems to me that the "point-and-click" metaphor has been fairly well
>demonstrated to fit into the situation of the computer having more information
>than the user (ie the "majority of people" mentioned above).  In the case
>where the user has more useful information than the computer (ie us computer
>geeks), I can't say that I'd prefer to write, rather than type, commands.  By
>the way, have you checked out the portable Mac?  It brings the point-and-click
>metaphor to the (almost) hand-held world.
>
>Besides, I *DEFY* you to conceive of how the Gridpad is going to support all
>those EMACS users out there :-)

No reason why a Gridpad couldn't support a point-and-click metaphor.  Just
need a button on your stylus.  It's a _lot_ easier to deal with initially
than learning to move the cursor with the mouse.

As far as applications, any application where you would rather have a notepad
than a keyboard is fair game.  For example, I would like one with an
integrated text/graphics editor so that I can take notes, have it transform
my chicken scratchings into text (it'll probably require that I write neatly
to use it, sigh...) and let me put in little drawings.

Afterwards, I can take the drawings and neaten them up, index my notes in
the computer, etc.

What the writing interface really buys you is that you don't have to switch
interfaces anymore, i.e. when you switch from text entry to graphics entry
you don't have to take your hand off the keyboard and put it on the mouse or
trackball.

I'd still like a keyboard if I were going to be doing lots of mostly text
stuff, but for mixed text and graphics this looks like the right way to go.

--
David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego

esh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Sean Hayes) (01/22/90)

One annoyance I have with people who have some keyboard training
is that they think its the fastest way of entering information.
This has been true up to now because computers are very stupid.
However shorthand systems can make writing 2 to 3 times as fast as
a *very* skilled typist, (ask your favourite secretary).
So even without the benefits of being able to input freehand sketches
notes etc (ever written to your mother or lover using a typewriter - were
they impressed?). The days of giant keyboards and monolithic terminals
must be numbered.

As for EMACS, and all other meta-twiddle-escape-cokebottle editors/shells,
the sooner they are consigned to the museum of amusing memorabilia
the better.

Sean.

   | S. Hayes,  Hewlett Packard Laboratories,                             |
   |            Filton Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol BS12 6QZ,             |
   |            England.                                                  |
   |            (0272) 799910 x 24023                                     |
   |ARPA: esh%shayes@hplb.hpl.hp.com                                      |
   |      esh@hplb.uucp                                                   |
   |      ..!mcvax!ukc!hplb!esh                                           |

dunc@cs.ubc.ca (Deadly Dunc) (01/23/90)

In article <531@toad.hplb.hpl.hp.com> esh@hplb.hpl.hp.com writes:
>So even without the benefits of being able to input freehand sketches
>notes etc (ever written to your mother or lover using a typewriter - were
>they impressed?). The days of giant keyboards and monolithic terminals
>must be numbered.

And what about writing in Chinese characters? I tried using Chinese
wordstar, but I think hand written is still faster.

>As for EMACS, and all other meta-twiddle-escape-cokebottle editors/shells,
>the sooner they are consigned to the museum of amusing memorabilia
>the better.

I second that! emacs is dead, but they just don't not know it yet...

Duncan Stickings <Dunc@ean.ubc.ca>
EAN X.500 Project