[comp.sys.laptops] a good deal?

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (01/22/90)

	Here in Oz, tandy are selling their old model 102 laptops for
$499 ($US= $400). It is a discount of about %40. I assume they come with
the "standard" amount of memory (no details in the ad).
	Is this a good deal or is this machine just too ancient?
	I'd like something just for text entry and uploading to a larger
machine. It's lightness and size have always been appealing, especially
when flying on business.
	However, do the newer generation of laptops make it a joke? Obviously
cost factors in Oz are not well known at the moment, so price comparisons
with new machines aren't much of a guide.
	What is the onboard software like? I haven't had a play yet and may
or may not depending on the array of responses I get.
	Any comments appreciated.

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (01/23/90)

In article <1368@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:
>	Here in Oz, tandy are selling their old model 102 laptops for
>$499 ($US= $400). It is a discount of about %40. I assume they come with
>the "standard" amount of memory (no details in the ad).
>	Is this a good deal or is this machine just too ancient?
>	I'd like something just for text entry and uploading to a larger
>machine. It's lightness and size have always been appealing, especially
>when flying on business

The Tandy 102 has a full featured version of Microsoft BASIC in ROM, a
simple telcommunications program TELCOM and ADRESS and SCHEDULE modes
for their text editor, TEXT (all of this is in ROM). The cassette interface
is reliable. The keyboard is decent. The screen is fairly legable - more
so IMHO than the Toshiba 1000's. It's light. The batteries las a while.

CON : Built in Modem only 300 baud
      Telcom is rudimentary - no Kermit/XMODEM
      Software not too plentiful

However, for what it does, it performs well.

If you buy a T1000, you'd sort of be able to run windows, Lotus, et.al.
but without a hard drive, an MSDOS pc is limited.

tim takahashi
.

jmc10392@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/23/90)

Well there are a lot of varing opinions
out there I bet but I am one satisfied
customer.  Before buying a Tandy 102
(or for that manner any computer) first
sit down and compile a list of needs
you have in a computer.  Rank these
needs and desires and then go exploring.
I was looking for a small sized computer
which I could use to write most of the
types of papers which I am required to
write.  Also I wanted a computer which
could perform as a terminal for calling
the campus mainframe.  Finally I wanted
a computer which would continue to be
useful even after my needs for computer
power grow.  I wanted this in a package
less than $1000(US).  I found that
Tandy filled all these needs.  I have
32K of memory in which I can write a
15 page paper and with the addition of
a disk drive ($200) and WriteROM ($100)
I am able to write quite sofisticated
documents ranging up to a 100 page office
manual.  The computer is small enough
and has a long enough battery life (8hrs
per set of 4 AA batteries or 4hrs for rechargeables)
that I can take it to class and take
notes or to the library and do research.The main limitation of the computer is
its 8x40 screen which causes my note
to go on and on.  Don't believe that
the Tandy is perfect because it is not,
but it a useful computer which I will
continue to use even when I finally get
enough money to buy that 386.  If you
want to know more send a note to
mariano@uiuc.edu and I will gladly fill
your mailbox fuller than I filled this
notesfile!

Jeff Cortez
mariano@uiuc.edu

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/23/90)

In article <4873@ur-cc.UUCP> ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi)
writes: (in connection with the Tandy 102)
>CON : Built in Modem only 300 baud
>      Telcom is rudimentary - no Kermit/XMODEM
>      Software not too plentiful

I have run a PD program on the Model 100 which supports Xmodem file
transfers, and it may run on the 102 also (it does NOT run on the 200).
There are sources of m100 software in the US, but I haven't pursued them
so I can't say too much about their current status.

I have both a 100 and a 200 which make convenient notebook computers for
text entry.  I often take one to a meeting, write down material, and
then use TELCOM to transfer to my Unix system. They don't offer the
power of an MS-DOS laptop, but they are small, light, and good at what
they do.  They also run for an extremely long time on 4 AA cells!

You can buy a disk drive for the Tandy's, but don't expect to run it
very long on battery power -- I always plug mine in.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2