[comp.sys.laptops] Autoexec floppies on Toshiba 1000?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (01/19/90)

I would like to configure my T1000 to boot DOS from
the ROM, but execute the autoexec.bat off the floppy
on power up. I don't see how to do this.

The documentation only gives you there options:

1) Boot from Rom and use the built in default autoxec.bat in ROM.

2) Boot from floppy, wasting vaulable space on the floppy for
 an extra copy of the OS.

3) Buy extended non-volitile ram. This allows a "permanent"
D drive in ram. The ROM autoexec is fixed to execute the
D drive autoexec if its there, which could in turn be set to
exec the floppy autoexec.

None of these seem attractive.

===
Another question: Is there a way to select the monitor output
from a bat file, instead of manually hitting "FN-END".
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (01/24/90)

In article <4893@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken
Mandelberg) writes:

> . . . <discussion of boot possibilities> . . .
>
> 3) Buy extended non-volitile ram. This allows a "permanent"
> D drive in ram. The ROM autoexec is fixed to execute the
> D drive autoexec if its there, which could in turn be set to
> exec the floppy autoexec.
>
> None of these seem attractive.

I would consider (3) to be attractive.  It was this option that
convinced me to buy the T1000 in the first place.  I can't imagine the
machine without the hard-RAM.  On the other hand, someone buying now
might find a better deal in one of the newer machines.
--

--R. T. Bumby ** Math ** Rutgers ** New Brunswick ** NJ08903 ** USA --
  above postal address abbreviated by internet to bumby@math.rutgers.edu