[comp.sys.laptops] WP for T1000

a523@mindlink.UUCP (Frank Murray) (01/16/90)

> dan writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <37870@apple.Apple.COM>
>
> Org.  : Apple Computer Inc, Cupertino, CA
> Person: Dan Allen
>
> Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
> the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of
> disk space.  Printing and WYSIWYG stuff is not at all important.  All I
> need is word wrapping and the ability to save files as ASCII text.  I
> plan to do all my formatting on the Mac...
>
> Dan Allen

I use SideKick on my T1000 (SideKick is a TSR program with an Editor, etc.)  I
then load VP-Planner Plus Ver 2.0.  This makes for a very useful combination on
the T1000.

Frank Murray
[523]
MindLink !

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (01/17/90)

wd4fsu@kd4nc.UUCP (owen adair) (01/17/90)

In article <37870@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
>the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of
>disk space.  Printing and WYSIWYG stuff is not at all important.  All I
>need is word wrapping and the ability to save files as ASCII text.  I
>plan to do all my formatting on the Mac...
>
>Dan Allen

WHen I had my T1000 I found my text editor to do the job nicely.
It's called QEDIT and besides being a very powerful text editor for
programming, it has word wrap and some other WP type features. It needs
only 1 file and takes only about 45K or so . The folks at
SemWare can be reached by calling (404) 428-6416 (Atlanta) .  I don't
remember the exact cost ,  but it wasn't over $45 or so .....

Owen

frank@hpwrce.HP.COM (Frank Stutzman) (01/18/90)

>Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
>the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of

I use microEMACs on my T1000 and am reasonably happy with it.  It exceeds
your criteria of 30-40 K of disk space, but other than than can do every
thing you ask for.  And if you get adventurous you can create your own
macros and bindings to do wizzy things.  I guess the biggest reason I like it
is because I use emacs on my workstation at work and so have become something
of an emacs bigot.

|==========================================================================|
|Frank Stutzman                          | The network is the computer     |
|Hewlett-Packard Western Response Center | The T-connector is the network  |
|Mtn. View, Ca                           | The computer is a T-connector?  |
|frank%hpwrc@hplabs.hp.com               |                                 |
|==========================================================================|

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (01/18/90)

In article <3444@kd4nc.UUCP> wd4fsu@kd4nc.UUCP (owen adair) writes:
>In article <37870@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>>Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
>>the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of
>
>WHen I had my T1000 I found my text editor to do the job nicely.
>It's called QEDIT and besides being a very powerful text editor for
>programming, it has word wrap and some other WP type features. It needs

Qedit is a very nice shareware editor.  If you have anonymous ftp
capability you can sample it by downloading /pc/pd2/qedit208.zip
from chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) (01/19/90)

[about what text editor to use on a laptop with little diskspace]

My own hacked-up version of microEMACS, called GNOME (Generally
Not the Original Micro Emacs) is based on the original and was
intentionally kept lean and mean.  I does word wrap, although
it is mostly a programming, etc editor.  The executable is
about 55K, although about 8K can be cut out by compiling it
without the built-in help.  I use it on UNIX too: its portability
is its greatest feature!  On MS-DOS (with 640K RAM) it will
edit up to about 350K of C source code (many short lines) and
possibly even more English text.

- Moshe

rob@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Rob Logan) (01/19/90)

> I use microEMACs on my T1000 and am reasonably happy with it.  It exceeds
freemacs!!

clh@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (01/19/90)

In article <3444@kd4nc.UUCP> wd4fsu@kd4nc.UUCP (owen adair) writes:
>In article <37870@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>>Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
>>the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of
>WHen I had my T1000 I found my text editor to do the job nicely.

What you guys PROBABLY want is SLED (Sam wilmott's Little EDitor), an
MS-DOS text editor patterned after PE (IBM's Personal Editor).  It's
pretty great - the executable is smaller (in bytes) than the 10 page
instruction manual (honest!); it has a one-page help screen; almost
everything's done with Alt+ some alphabetic key; and it gives you
editing of simultaneous multiple files.  Best part - it's more or less
free; Sam would like to get some pittance for it, but is willing to
give it out for the asking, knowing you will like it & therefore pay up :-)

Sam's in the Ottawa telephone book (I don't think he's on the net).  If
you can't get through, send me some mail & I'll see if I can help.

Chris Hermansen                         Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Voice: 1 604 733 0731                   302 - 958 West 8th Avenue
FAX:   1 604 733 0634                   Vancouver B.C. CANADA
uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!tacitus!clh         V5Z 1E5
clh@tfic.bc.ca -or- Chris_Hermansen@mtsg.ubc.ca

May you work in an interesting place.

ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Timothy Takahashi) (01/19/90)

>In article <37870@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>>Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
>>the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of
>>disk space.  Printing and WYSIWYG stuff is not at all important.  All I
>>need is word wrapping and the ability to save files as ASCII text.  I
>>plan to do all my formatting on the Mac...

What about PC-WRITE? I have used several versions of it quite sucessfully
as a text editor. With spell check, print drivers, c. it consumes
~200k of disk space, but the standalone editor weighs in around 60k.
If you are interested, I have a copy of PCWRITE 2.55 (an old (smaller)
version). BTW it is shareware.

  tim takahashi                /-----\         Look!
                               | %&% :          Up in the Sky!
  ttak@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  | ! ! |           It's a Bird!
                               :#####:            It's a Plane!
                                 ! !               It's a Vacuum Tube!

coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) (01/19/90)

In article <37870@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>Does anyone have a good recommendation for a SMALL word processor for
>the Toshiba T1000?  Ideally it should not require more than 30-40K of
>disk space.  Printing and WYSIWYG stuff is not at all important.  All I
>need is word wrapping and the ability to save files as ASCII text.  I
>plan to do all my formatting on the Mac...

Hmmmm.  Good, and 30-40K.  That sounds almost mutually exclusive to me.
MS-Word V3.1 will fit on one 3.5" disk with a bit of space left over for
files (sorry I can't give you exact space requirements here -- I don't
have my T1000 at hand right now).

The word processor I use most often is PFS Professional Write, but that
requires three disks, one for the main program, one for printing, and
one for data.  Dan, since it doesn't sound like you want to do any printing
from the T1000, you would probably be able to get away with one disk.
Pro Write is a pretty nice program, and is easy to use.  It will save
in about six different popular formats, including flat ASCII, but there
wouldn't be much space left over on the program disk for files.

The best compromise I've seen for on-the-go writing is the one that came
with my T1000:  Borland Sidekick (Obviously I bought my machine early
on, before Toshiba started bundling MS-Works with the T1000.)  I used
Sidekick to take class notes in college for a year, and it worked quite
well.  The drawback to Sidekick is that it's not exactly what I'd call a
high-tech word processor.  I would class it as a text editor, and
although you can use it to do anything a word processor can do with the
exception of spell-checking, it isn't exactly easy to use:  It's all
control-key combinations.  However, it does save files in flat ASCII
and does word-wrapping, so I guess I've met your basic criteria, Dan. ;^)

For more information and advice on the T1000 and other Toshiba products,
you may want to try the Toshiba BBS.  It's a long-distance toll call
from my neck of the woods, since it's in Irvine CA and I'm in Beaverton
OR, but I've found it to be a very worthwhile source of information and
a whole lot quicker than writing a letter.  (I downloaded a cabling
diagram that enabled me to build my *own* external drive for about $50
instead of paying $280+ for it!)

Since I don't have my T1000 at hand, I can't give you the BBS number
right now (the one drawback of storing information on disk is that you
can't read it by hand...).  I'll post it soon for the general
information of the .laptops reading public -- unless someone else beats
me to it!
| Cory R. Carpenter        |                                                   |
| Sequent Computer Systems |                THIS SPACE FOR RENT                |
| {uunet}!sequent!coryc    |___________________________________________________|

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (01/19/90)

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Moshe Braner) writes:

> [about what text editor to use on a laptop with little diskspace]
>
> My own hacked-up version of microEMACS, called GNOME (Generally
> Not the Original Micro Emacs) is based on the original and was
> intentionally kept lean and mean.

I use MicroEmacs practically everywhere, but it's got a bit big
lately, so I use GNOME on my twin floppy laptop and strongly
recommend it. Thanks Moshe.

Leila
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel: +44 273 678390   Fax: +44 273 678335  JANET: leilabd@uk.ac.sussex.syma

jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) (01/24/90)

I keep an old version of PC-WRITE (2.3) around for use in limited
environments.  Since it's files are pure ASCII (if you don't use
highlighting features), it's useful for both light system work as
well as word processing.  It's around 60K, and fast, online help
(needs more disk space for the full help file, though).  Might be
worth a look.

-jeff-