[comp.sys.laptops] Nay vote for Toshiba T1000

blk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kahn) (02/03/90)

I don't understand why this newsgroup is so infatuated with the T1000.
Seems to me that the new Panasonic offers more for the same money,
and the Tandy 1100FD offers a bunch more for a under $1000.

Have people seen these two machines and rejected them in favor of
Toshiba, or are they just little known?
--
B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/04/90)

In article <93864@linus.UUCP> blk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kahn) writes:
>I don't understand why this newsgroup is so infatuated with the T1000.
>Seems to me that the new Panasonic offers more for the same money,
>and the Tandy 1100FD offers a bunch more for a under $1000.
>Have people seen these two machines and rejected them in favor of
>Toshiba, or are they just little known?

For one thing, the Toshiba 1000 was the first of its class, and so has been
around longer.  It also has proven itself to be highly reliable.  It is
well-thought-out and a pleasure to use.

I am not familiar with the Panasonic, but have seen the Tandy at my local
Radio Shack.  The Tandy is nice, but given the fact that you can't buy
it at mail-order discounts like you can the Toshiba, it loses its edge,
IMO.  Also, the T1000 with the 768k memory module offers a feature that
none of the others have, namely a 620k non-volatile ram disk in addition
to a full 640 k of conventional ram.  And that ram disk can alternatively
be set up as expanded memory.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

farber@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) (02/04/90)

am I wrong in the belief that the 1000se does not have the large
non volitile memory option?

Dave

David Farber; Prof. of CIS and EE, U of Penn, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6389 Tele:
215-898-9508(off); 215-274-8292 (home); FAX: 215-898-0587;  Cellular:  302-740-
1198 "The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the
sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." -- R. P. Feynman

clyde@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Clyde Higashi) (02/05/90)

The base configuration T1000SE comes with 1M RAM (everything above 640K
can be used as LIM EMS 3.2 memory or HardRAM) and has a slot for one
memory card.  Toshiba sells 1M and 2M memory cards, which resemble those
credit-card calculators in size and shape.  With the 2M card, the SE
supports a maximum of 3M RAM.  RAM is cmos and unfortunately very
expensive (I think the 2M card lists for $1200, though I was able to
buy one at a discount).  "Non-volatile" RAM is backed by the SE's internal
batteries (main and backup NiCd), so data cannot be maintained when the
card is removed from the T1000SE.  The memory slot is accessible through
an external (friction-held) cover, an improvement over the T1000, which
required you to open the entire case and disconnect the battery before
installing the 768Card.

--
      INTERNET : clyde@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
        BITNET : clyde@uhccux

seven@nuchat.UUCP (David Paulsen) (02/05/90)

In article <93864@linus.UUCP> blk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kahn) writes:

>I don't understand why this newsgroup is so infatuated with the T1000.
>Seems to me that the new Panasonic offers more for the same money,
>and the Tandy 1100FD offers a bunch more for a under $1000.
>
>Have people seen these two machines and rejected them in favor of
>Toshiba, or are they just little known?
>--
>B<   Brian Kahn   blk@security.mitre.org   "may the farce be with you"

I have a T1000, and have been very pleased with it.  What sold me was the
bang-for-the-buck: $650 mail order (even cheaper now).  At the time I
bought it laptops started about $1100, and went up up up..

Toshiba gave me a one-year "extended care" warranty, which guaranteed
me a working computer within 48 hours of my reporting a failure.  I
would have had to send the unit at my expense, but Toshiba pays the
shipping back.. Federal Express overnight.  (Of course, I would probably
never see "my" computer again; they must have a stable of refurbished
units they recycle for the extended care program.)

The warranty is in itself pretty amazing, but something else is even
MORE amazing: Toshiba honors its warranty no matter WHO SELLS YOU THE
MACHINE.  I didn't know it at the time, but many manufacturers will
not honor their own warranty unless you buy from an official dealer.
I doubt very seriously if the folks who sold me my T1000 are "official
Toshiba dealers", but the issue never came up... and it wouldn't have
mattered anyway.

I also got Super-PC Kwik with my machine, free of charge.  This has got
to be the nicest ramdisk/cache program available.. and retails for $79.
You'd be surprised what a 64K disk cache can do for a slow 720K floppy;
it's almost usable!  Seriously.. it eliminated disk-thrashing entirely.
This wasn't just a dealer-bundle, since the whole manual had been rewritten
for the Toshiba computer, and the software itself won't boot on a non-
Toshiba machine.  (I had to re-buy Super PC-Kwik when I got my AT. :)

I know my T1000 is slow, and when I'm not using my $79 magnavox monitor
I get whanging headaches from squinting at the display.. but that li'l
machine has survived hurricanes and car-wrecks and careless waitresses
at Denney's and REALLY screwed up floppy disks and... and..

Anyway, I like it.

David

--
David Paulsen    ..uunet!nuchat!seven  ||| The Curiosity Shop BBS, 713/326-3729
Q: What do you get when you cross a dyslexic with an atheist?