[comp.sys.laptops] Portable Terminal

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Jan29.080226.21051@hellgate.utah.edu>, kessler%cons.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Robert R. Kessler) writes:
> I have had a couple of faculty request that we purchase a couple of
> portable terminals.  Their main interest is in being able to remotely
> log into our systems, read mail, etc.  Having a laptop computer which
> runs DOS/Xenix or whatever is not really necessary.  Does anyone have
> any suggestions as to something suitable?  An internal 2400 baud

There is a company that has been advertising such a beast for several
months in Digital Review and/or Digital News. It's a VT220 clone,
80x24. I don't know about built in modem.

I'm not at work right now, but if you're interested I can try to find
an ad. You might be able to find a local DECcie that keeps track of
these mags, tho.

The downside is that it seems to be quite expensive for what you get.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

wcs) (02/09/90)

In article <17901@cc.usu.edu> SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:
]There is a company that has been advertising such a beast for several
]months in Digital Review and/or Digital News. It's a VT220 clone,
]80x24. I don't know about built in modem.

I checked them out, and there was no reason to buy it.
It cost about the same as a Toshiba 1000 + 2400-baud mode,
and weighed about the same.  It's presumably a little more rugged,
since it doesn't have a floppy disk, but you don't have the ability
to do ANYTHING useful standalone.  Since it doesn't cost or weigh
more, get the laptop, so you can do real work standalone.

Oh - I suspect the terminal's batteries last longer, though dialling
can take a surprising amount of power.  But unless that's
ultra-critical, don't bother.
--
# Bill Stewart AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs

# ho95c has gone the way of all VAX/785s, so I'm now on erebus.att.com