[comp.sys.laptops] airport x-ray machines/laptops

tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (02/04/90)

I have just bought a Toshiba T1000 and travelled with it to Europe.
American security check-ins at airports seem to be satisfied if the
computer works (i.e., if you can turn it on), but in Germany, they
insisted that I run the computer through the X-ray machine. They
assured me that it was completely harmless and that they ran
"hundreds" of laptops through the machine daily.

[Airport security personnel was also extremely rude there. They were amused
and unconcerned when I complained that they put my pack of floppy disks,
which contained a month's worth of work, on top of an X-ray machine
(I was concerned about stray magnetic fields).]

Unfortunately, right after running it through the machine, the disk
controller stopped working.

Now, I would like to know:

* what do other people do with their laptops when they travel?
* has anyone had similar problems?
* what is the photon flux and the energy used in modern airport
  X-ray machines? Do you know whether this is sufficient to erase
  EPROMS, alter static RAM data, damage chips?
* what are the magnetic fields inside the airport X-ray machines?
* what about the new neutron-activation devices?

					Thanks, Thomas.

farber@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) (02/05/90)

I had my T1000 zapped at the airport. It showed up as a keybaord
failure. I called Toshiba in Calif and they said send it.
They installed a new chip and changed a cardbaord guard sheet to
one that did not act as a capacitor.

Mine was two years old

Dave
David Farber; Prof. of CIS and EE, U of Penn, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6389 Tele:
215-898-9508(off); 215-274-8292 (home); FAX: 215-898-0587;  Cellular:  302-740-
1198 "The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the
sole test of the validity of any idea is experiment." -- R. P. Feynman

skaggs@nsslsun.gcn.uoknor.edu (Gary Skaggs) (02/05/90)

With only one exception, that being the commuter concourse at Boston Logan,
I've never had my briefcase inspected.  In it I carry, a Tandy Model 100
(some would argue that it is not a 'laptop'), several handheld amateur
radios, a hand held scanner, and all the chargers, battery packs, and
appurtenances for such hardware.

The comment at Logan was choice, however.  The X-ray technician said to the
inspector, "You gotta take a look at this one!"  More amazement than anything
else.

Gary Skaggs - WB5ULK			Internet: skaggs@nssl.gcn.uoknor.edu
National Severe Storms Laboratory	Physical: turn left at the barking dog
     (The Tornado People)
           "If it's dead, it's Biology. If it stinks, it's Chemistry.
      If it's magic, it's Physics.  But, if it's voodoo, it's Meteorology!"

        "When the government tells me what to say, I'll sign it as such!"

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (02/06/90)

In article <6325@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
>... in Germany, they
>insisted that I run the computer through the X-ray machine. They
>assured me that it was completely harmless and that they ran
>"hundreds" of laptops through the machine daily.
>
>[Airport security personnel was also extremely rude there. They were amused
>and unconcerned when I complained that they put my pack of floppy disks,
>which contained a month's worth of work, on top of an X-ray machine
>(I was concerned about stray magnetic fields).]
>
>Unfortunately, right after running it through the machine, the disk
>controller stopped working.

I'm not at all familiar with airport procedures and the legalities involved.
Obviously airport security should come first, but if this happened to me
I'd be pretty pissed off.  Is there any kind of recourse available to
the flier if say, his $17,000 SPARCSTATION laptop was zapped at the
airport by the machine?  Can you sue / complain to anybody?  What are
your chances of getting some compensation?

	On the other hand, like I said, obviously airport security comes
first.  I would much rather have my laptop zapped than get blown out of
the sky by the guy behind me with the 6 kilos of high explosives hidden
in his HP28C.  From a technical standpoint, what are the chances of
manufactures eventually taking things like this into consideration and
somehow sheilding vulnerable parts?  And could this sheilding generate
further security holes / complications?

	Or is this just too small an issue?

--
The 'C' programming language is, at worst, the second best language for any
given application.  Usually, however, it is the best.  --  anon

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (02/06/90)

tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:

>* what is the photon flux and the energy used in modern airport
>  X-ray machines? Do you know whether this is sufficient to erase
>  EPROMS, alter static RAM data, damage chips?
>* what are the magnetic fields inside the airport X-ray machines?
>* what about the new neutron-activation devices?

I think your controller problem was simply coincidence.  I've had the
opportunity to experiment a bit with radiation and memory.  I had the
opportunity to get a large number of one-time-programmable EPROMS
(27xxx series eproms in plastic packs with no windows) that had been
pulled in an upgrade.  Being of nuclear persuasion, I decided that X-rays
might erase the chips.  To test this theory, I taped a chip to the exit
window of a 30kvp, 50 ma tube and connected the chip electrically to an
eprom programmer so as to be able to detect when the first bits changes.
(30 kev is near an absorption line of silicon and so should have enhanced
the process.)

After 48 hours of continous exposure amounting to several kiloRADs, the
result was ..... Not a bit changed.  The EPROM was a good as the day
it was programmed.  I tried another experiment involving heating the chip
while irradiating it (thinking that increased electron mobility might
help.).  Same result.

Another experiment involved zapping some low-level dosimeters in an X-ray
machine in order to see what kind of exposure is involved.  I was interested
in looking at this from an occupational exposure perspective - in other words,
how did the dose relate to occupational exposure?  The result was that NO
detectable radiation was recorded.

Summary2: Don't worry about it.

Magnetic fields are another matter.

I have not had an opportunity to examine the neutron activation detectors,
though I suspect that any damage will be from magnetic fields.  If they
use an isotopic neutron source, the magnetic fields should be zilch.
An accelerator-based source, on the other hand, usually entails some
hefty magnetics.

I carry media on my person because of all the OTHER things that happen
to luggage and not because of radiation hazards.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress-
Radiation Systems, Inc. | men than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply

johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) (02/07/90)

In article <6325@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
>I have just bought a Toshiba T1000 and travelled with it to Europe.
>American security check-ins at airports seem to be satisfied if the
>computer works (i.e., if you can turn it on), but in Germany, they
>insisted that I run the computer through the X-ray machine. They
>assured me that it was completely harmless and that they ran
>"hundreds" of laptops through the machine daily.
>
>* what do other people do with their laptops when they travel?

I have a Z88 which sits in my briefcase and is put through the X-ray
machine. The briefcase is always taken off and examined, and yes, they just
want to make sure the Z88 works by getting me to turn it on. Never had any
detectable damage, but of course there are no discs in a Z88, just chips.
I have put mag tapes through with no damage yet.

On another tack, someone in this newsgroup suggested that machines had to
have FCC clearance to be used on a plane or they could be confiscated (! -
sounds extreme when they could just ask you to stop using it). He/she
said his/her Z88 had an FCC clearance sticker on it. I've used my Z88 on
planes with never a complaint but there is no FCC sticker. Should I be
worried?
                                      John Richards

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (02/08/90)

> in Germany, they
> insisted that I run the computer through the X-ray machine.

I've heard that German airport X-rays and magnetic field sensors
are more dangerous to film and electronics than other airports'.

> and unconcerned when I complained that they put my pack of floppy disks,
> which contained a month's worth of work, on top of an X-ray machine

Camera stores sell lead-lined(?) bags to protect high-speed film.
They're reasonably large & would hold floppies, perhaps T1000-size laptops.

 - Chris Barr

midkiff@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (Sam Midkiff) (02/08/90)

In article <4892@newton.praxis.co.uk> johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) writes:

>On another tack, someone in this newsgroup suggested that machines had to
>have FCC clearance to be used on a plane or they could be confiscated (! -
>sounds extreme when they could just ask you to stop using it). He/she
>said his/her Z88 had an FCC clearance sticker on it. I've used my Z88 on
>planes with never a complaint but there is no FCC sticker. Should I be
>worried?
>                                      John Richards

It's always dangerous to interpret FAR's, but then if I make an error, it will
prompt someone with more info to answer.  The pilot in command of an aircraft
has a lot of power, not unlike the captain of a ship.  This power includes the
right to decide if a particular piece of equipment, be it laptop or walkman,
poses a danger to the flight by interfering with communications (or anything
else for that matter.)  If he thinks it does, then he can have it taken from
you (confiscated) for the duration of the flight.  I can't see how permanent
confiscation would be allowed since it doesn't pose a danger to his flight
once on the ground.

Note that having an FCC sticker doesn't require the pilot to allow you to use
a piece of equipment.  The FCC sticker does not say that a laptop will not
interfere with radio communications on any airplane under any conditions.
Perhaps an FAA sticker might, but they don't exist.  Most pilots have better
things to do with their time than antagonize passengers, however, and will
probably assume that anything that meets the FCC requirements is safe.  In
any case, it is the pilot's decision, and I have no doubt that if he noticed
interference on communication or navigation instruments that he would instruct
the stewards to begin taking the passenger's laptops, etc.

Finally, if you don't cooperate with a pilot, or a steward acting for the
pilot, you might very well find yourself under arrest after the plane lands
at the nearest convenient airport.  If you want to argue, you are advised to
do it on the ground.

Sam Midkiff
midkiff@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

wagner@utoday.UUCP (wagner) (02/09/90)

In article <4892@newton.praxis.co.uk> johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) writes:

>On another tack, someone in this newsgroup suggested that machines had to
>have FCC clearance to be used on a plane or they could be confiscated (! -
>sounds extreme when they could just ask you to stop using it). He/she
>said his/her Z88 had an FCC clearance sticker on it. I've used my Z88 on
>planes with never a complaint but there is no FCC sticker. Should I be
>worried?

At last! A thread on a comp.* newsgroup which I can intelligently respond
to!

I ask the stewardess before using my T1200 on the plane. She says yes,
then I do it, she says no, then I don't. Although I like giving
big corporations a hard time about possibly petty rules, I'll forego
that pleasure when I'm thousands of feet above the ground with my
life dependent on the proper functioning of a machine I know very
little about.

But I try not to use it in the plane, as a courtesy to my neighbors.
I know I might find it annoying to be sitting six hours on a flight from NY
to San Francisco next to some bozo going clickety-clickety-clickety on
a keyboard the whole way.

Sorry if I drift from the tech nature of this group. We now return to
our regularly scheduled programming....

--
                      Mitch     Voice: (516) 562-5758
             uunet!wagner@utoday.UUCP or ...!wagner@utoday.uu.net

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/10/90)

In article <4892@newton.praxis.co.uk> johnr@praxis.co.uk (John Richards) writes:
>On another tack, someone in this newsgroup suggested that machines had to
>have FCC clearance to be used on a plane or they could be confiscated (! -
>sounds extreme when they could just ask you to stop using it). He/she
>said his/her Z88 had an FCC clearance sticker on it. I've used my Z88 on
>planes with never a complaint but there is no FCC sticker. Should I be
>worried?

Wow, I hate to think of the stink that would go up if Air Canada tried
to confiscate my laptop because it didn't have a sticker from a US
agency (that is what the FCC is, right?).  I know that Canada has pretty
strict regulations, and machines like the Tandy 1100FD cannot be sold up
here, but I have never heard of this kind of draconian enforcement.
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) (02/10/90)

In article <6325@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> tmb@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) writes:
}Unfortunately, right after running it through the machine, the disk
}controller stopped working.

Toshiba assured me over the phone some time ago that I could run
my T3100 through any X-ray machine without damaging any internals
including hard disk data, but they did not recommend putting floppy
disks through the machine (neither do I)!  My boss had the machine
before me, and over about two years it has been on the road 12-16
weeks a year and never shown a problem.
--

Curtis Jackson @ Adobe Systems in Mountain View, CA  (415-962-4905)
Internet: jackson@adobe.com	uucp: ...!{apple|decwrl|sun}!adobe!jackson

strange@dukeac.UUCP (Mike Scher) (02/12/90)

   I use an old GRiDcase 3 and have never allowed the unit itself to be
x-rayed for fear of damaging not the internal electronics, but the EPROMs
that hold DOS and other software.  My floppy disks, however, have been x-rayed,
much to my horror on the occasion.  They remained errorless, which prompted
me to look into matters.  X-rays apparently will do nothing to mess up
electronics or magnetic fields in computer equipment/disks.  The magnetic
fields emitted by x-ray machines, METAL-DETECTORS, and the like, however,
may indeed damage sensitive electronics and are likely to affect the magnetic
fields on disks.
   Most airports, including LA and Newark, will allow hand inspection of
computers for both domestic and EEC flights.  They may want to x-ray your
computer carrying bag, so be sure to keep your disks outside, or to take them
out (visibly) when your machine is taken to be hand inspected.  I always hold
up the case and tell the person operating the x-ray machine (not the metal
detector) that I want the bag hand inspected.  They usually ask if it's a
computer.  All they EVER want to see is whether it boots successfully.

From doubts come questions;
from questions, answers;
from answers, enlightenment:
Doubt and be enlightened.
    -Mike Scher

USMail: P.O.Box 9896DS, Durham, NC 27706 | INTERNET: strange@dukeac.ac.duke.edu
Last ditch:  ...!{rutgers.edu,decvax,philabs}!mcnc!ecsgate!dukeac!strange

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/12/90)

In article <11910@frog.UUCP> barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) writes:
>> and unconcerned when I complained that they put my pack of floppy disks,
>> which contained a month's worth of work, on top of an X-ray machine
>
>Camera stores sell lead-lined(?) bags to protect high-speed film.
>They're reasonably large & would hold floppies, perhaps T1000-size laptops.

Lead will not shield disks from magnetic fields.  You need a more
conductive material.  I should think that aluminum foil might suffice.
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2
UUCP: ...!{uunet,watmath}!dalcs!biomel!bill
Internet: bill%biomel@cs.dal.CA		BITNET: bill%biomel%dalcs@dalac

hrs1@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (herman.r.silbiger) (02/13/90)

My laptop must have been xrayed a hundred times by now, and the only time
I lose data is due to errors on my part.  In the USA domestically, I have
never been asked to show the machine.  Abroad, they routinely ask you to
turn it on and make it work, so make sure your batteries are charged.

By the way, they also ask to see if your camera works.  Usually they
want to take a picture of you, and point the camera straight at you.

Herman Silbiger

erc@khijol.UUCP (Ed Carp, aka Mr. Ed the talking horse...) (02/14/90)

Yes, John, very interesting post, but were the EPROMS themselves exhibiting
any sign of secondary radiation?  I know this sort of thing doesn't usually
happen with electron bombardment (at least I don't *think* it does), but I'd
be interested in hearing a followup.
--
Ed Carp                 N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!khijol!erc
Austin, Texas           (512) 832-5884          "Good tea.  Nice house." - Worf